Who has done the most good to the human race?

Comments

• stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce Campbell.

Seriously, that's obvious, right? What is WRONG with you people?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Bruce Campbell.

Seriously, that's obvious, right? What is WRONG with you people?

Only to the feathered race.
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember an episode of QI correctly her memoirs on nursing helped clean up hospitals, but the hospitals she ran as a nurse had no better track record than any other and in some cases worse.

On a different note, with your username, I'm surprised you haven't come up with the bright person who thought up/contributed to trigonometry! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, but electricity beats the wheel.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad.

He fought Hitler.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

That's a FAKE Bruce!!! Goddamit, that Bruce sounds quite cool, but he doesn't sound GROOVY at all.
  • SOHCAHTOA88SOHCAHTOA88 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxygenated wrote: »
    On a different note, with your username, I'm surprised you haven't come up with the bright person who thought up/contributed to trigonometry! :D

According to another episode of QI (honestly, that's not where I get all of my facts) no on really knows who devised trigonometry.
    I guess that's why you said 'contributed to'.
    Forum Member
    Benjamin Franklin is the main person credited for this. Yeah, he was fantastic.

Led to Thomas Edison inventing the commercially available light bulb.

I wonder if they knew just what they had done.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    That was Cecil Rhodes. Thank goodness these types of thoughts belong in the dim and distance past of well over a 100 years ago.

Yes, very much a belief popular in it's time.

I remembered eventually that it was Carnegie I was trying to think of. No idea about him personally or whether his steel empire was a bastion of fair play and great worker's rights, but he did believe in spreading his wealth so, on that, he scores highly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Rahman_Al-Sumait#Final_Months_and_Death
    This guy sounds as if he accomplished a lot too.

Maybe Plato, Aristotle and Socrates (a great player in his day;)). From there, nearly everything scientific follows. But then there is Confucius too. And Pythagoras. Probably more outside my limited knowledge. And if earlier is better because there is more to be mapped out then they must have had pre-cursors too who were even more influential since they would be first and laying the ground work for everything scientific which follows. :confused::D
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily my best answer but somebody should mention Sir Tim Berners-Lee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Ebony magazine.
    Forum Member
    Ebony magazine.

Colour racist.
  • ilarilar Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Viruses and bacteria?
    They've made us stronger, motivated us in medical advances and up until recently kept the population from exploding, its bad enough now from the whole ecosystem's view, imagine what it would be like by now without any such natural controls.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    ilar wrote: »
    Viruses and bacteria?
    They've made us stronger, motivated us in medical advances and up until recently kept the population from exploding, its bad enough now from the whole ecosystem's view, imagine what it would be like by now without any such natural controls.

The Genghis Khan argument! :)
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    According to another episode of QI (honestly, that's not where I get all of my facts) no on really knows who devised trigonometry.
    I guess that's why you said 'contributed to'.

Wasn't it Dels mate from Only Fools?
  • SOHCAHTOA88SOHCAHTOA88 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Wasn't it Dels mate from Only Fools?

You mean Dave?
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joseph Lister should be up there.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marie Stopes would be on my list.

I dunno. Much like Margaret Sanger she did a lot for reproductive rights and sexual freedom but she was also a racist, eugenics enthusiast and a Nazi sympathizer. That's not so good.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,844
    Forum Member
    King Menes Egypts first dynasty. First irrigation project. Nobody can do without clean water and organised agriculture. Shame we don't know the name of the person who sold him the idea.

I would go along with that. I have mulled the question over all evening on and off and its difficult because almost everything one thinks of is only thanks to something that went before. Almost all great inventors were standing on the shoulders of giants as they say.

My first thoughts were to Greco/Romano natural philosophers such as Aristotle. But they were already building on the knowledge of Egyptians, Babylonians, Mesopotamians etc.

I agree though that whoever worked out how to cleanse and manage a water supply should get the crown. It really has to be the thing that underpins everything else doesn't it? Having reliable access to clean water must surely have transformed more lives than anything else. I didn't know there was an early name to attribute that to.
    I'm sorry, but electricity beats the wheel.

Electricity wasn't so much invented as discovered and understood was it? If so I suspect that without the wheel that discovery may not have occurred.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there are many names of famous scientists, authors and inventors who have given much to mankind from the free and forward thinking countries of the near and middle east.

Trust me, they will be along in a minute, honest, they will.
    There are dozens, famous names that roll of the tongue , like..................?
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I'll be forever indebted to whoever discovered that cooking a cow made it really tasty! :)

So, on a wider scale, whoever discovered how to create fire would be up near the top.
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy Clakson
    Forum Member
    I would go along with that. I have mulled the question over all evening on and off and its difficult because almost everything one thinks of is only thanks to something that went before. Almost all great inventors were standing on the shoulders of giants as they say.

My first thoughts were to Greco/Romano natural philosophers such as Aristotle. But they were already building on the knowledge of Egyptians, Babylonians, Mesopotamians etc.

I agree though that whoever worked out how to cleanse and manage a water supply should get the crown. It really has to be the thing that underpins everything else doesn't it? Having reliable access to clean water must surely have transformed more lives than anything else. I didn't know there was an early name to attribute that to.

Electricity wasn't so much invented as discovered and understood was it? If so I suspect that without the wheel that discovery may not have occurred.

Where have I stated it was 'invented?'
    Forum Member
    What a clown, I said found electric.
    Forum Member
    It's still electric, since you wouldn't be typing your shit on here without it.