Options

Is it naff to enjoy reading magazines like Take a Break and Chat?

13»

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonbaby wrote: »
    I used to do a bit of part time work in an office, and they would always have copies of Take a Break, Chat and Thats Life! In there for the staff to read instead of Heat and Now etc.

I must admit I used to really enjoy reading the stories in them. Some of them were just completley obsurded- think of the sort of stuff you see on Jeremy Kyle and then multiply it by 100! :D

Its all stories like, 'My husband ran off with his best mates granny' and ' My girlfriend has had sex change but I still love her'. I often wonder if some of them are made up because they are so daft. Its obvious that most of them come from chavs wanting a bit of extra cash.

Is it sad to like reading these magazines? I find them reasuring because no matter how bad my life gets it can't be as bad as some of the people who sell their stories to those kind of magazines:D

I buy 'That's Life' and another one (I can't even remember the name of it) every week. It's total drivel, total trash and I love it. Every single sick, twisted and sad story!! Sorry but I can't help it.

Wish I could remmeber the name of the other one I buy? It't weekly and has a glossy cover????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy 'That's Life' and another one (I can't even remember the name of it) every week. It's total drivel, total trash and I love it. Every single sick, twisted and sad story!! Sorry but I can't help it.

Wish I could remmeber the name of the other one I buy? It't weekly and has a glossy cover????

Love It? Pick Me Up?
  • Options
    h_h_horatioh_h_horatio Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    They make great khazi reading material, and when you finished reading them, hey presto! instant bog roll :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe naff stories in these mags, but great to read in the bath. Actually IF those stories are true my life seems quite mundane in comparison as I only seem to know "normal people" I have to admit quite like doing some of the puzzles and I did actually win £500 a few years back :D Trouble was I had to have my photo in the mag :o:o
  • Options
    moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finky wrote: »
    Love It? Pick Me Up?

I think Love It! is the only one of these magazines that ive not read yet.

There used to be a similar magazine called 'Enjoy' a few years ago- my mum used to read that. Who else rememmbers it?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is. Why don't you read New Scientist, American Scientific, Focus, or even a good fiction book? :)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My mother buys them all and does the competitions. She hasnt won a thing :(. When i have thought i would have a read i find most of the pages have squares cut out where shes entered the latest thing and just got fed up.

Similar story in my house. My mum does all the competitions in Take a Break every week (she doesn't buy Chat, Real People etc.) and sometimes I even do some of the puzzles as well. :o She never wins anything either. Does your mother cut out the actual puzzles and post them or does she just send the entry coupon at the back of the magazine? I always send my mum's entry in online but she still hasn't won a thing. :(
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    They make great khazi reading material, and when you finished reading them, hey presto! instant bog roll :p

Especially the articles about Goody and Katona!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, I read these magazines and I love them. All my friends and housemates tease me but I know they read them as well when no one is around!

I remember this one story about this woman who was horrendously abused by her demented husband...how do the Chat (or whatever it was) handle this incredibly saddening and sensitive subject - FORCED TO EAT MY OWN POO!!!!! I mean, seriously!!

I am replused by their very nature but I just can't resist, lol. They make me feel so much better about myself. 'm still trying to think of a stupid household tip i can invent and then i can write in and maybe get fifty quid!

Oh and I love the problem pages. Especially with Jeremy Kyle slagging everyone off, lol. I think the Take a Break Buddies is actually quite a good idea but the other one is hilarious 'my husband has tried to kill me eight times, should I leave him?' Jeremy says: YES, you stupid cow!

Oh and my Gran won a DVD player from chat once! I'm so grateful, she would never have got in the 21st century otherwise!!
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I agree, it's like looking into the eye of a snake. Naff, sure. I'm an otherwise normal chap, and I just have to follow up on the headline, like 'made to sleep with the whole street to please my fella', and 'force fed my own poo' etc, you've just gotta! Which is why the bog is the rigth place to read them, there's no risk of being caught, and you're never out of bum wiping material.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't ready any at all, not the slightest bit interested in anyone who would feature anyway. There is far too many different ones all covering the same inane rubbish. I honestly don't know why people bother buying them or waste time reading them. Spend the money on something instead and don't encourage these attention seeking media **** who seem to be in all the mags.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    When I'm in a waiting room and these magazines are the only things to look at (I can't call it 'reading'), I can't believe there are people willing to actually pay for them.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomaniac just beat me to it. I do the same - flick through at dentists but wouldn't waste my money. I was looking at one in the surgery recently and the headline was "My husband made me eat dog food" and I know her!!

I would like to confess on here that I pulled the pages out and took them home to show my DH!!:o

I am amazed at the sheer range of these types of mags though:eek: These and celeb mags.

My hairdressers is a good one in a posh area and all they have are celeb mags. I take my own book now. ;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a real sameness about thse mags like "Take a break" (though I buy a copy sometimes) and "Thats life" (which I buy sometimes as well). "Chat", and "Real People" etc. At least there's no Jordan, Kerry Katona, and Victoria Beckham, Jade in them.
    Mind there is a sameness with "Ok", "Hello", "Closer," "New", "Reveal" etc. Full of celbs telling the same story but slightly altered in a different way in each of them.,