killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
Forum Member
Trying to load KIES onto a Windows 10 machine but get a message

"Need to unblock this Publisher to run this software."

How do I do this?

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Samsung's Kies, like iTunes, is a horrendous bag of bloatware that intermittently crashes and I'd suggest trying to do without it if possible.

For example, Samsung phones and tablets can have their operating systems upgraded via home wifi using the upgrade functions in the Setting menu and just plugging the phone or tablet into a Windows PC should get the operating system to hunt for the relevant driver so that files and folders on the device can be accessed.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    The problem is that when I plug the tablet into the laptop it is not seen, irrespective of which cable I use. I know the leads are OK as the tablet charges from the laptop.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    The problem is that when I plug the tablet into the laptop it is not seen, irrespective of which cable I use. I know the leads are OK as the tablet charges from the laptop.
    Might sound daft and forgive me if you've tried it - but have you made sure the tablet is unlocked? My tablet and phone aren't seen by my W10 laptop unless they're both unlocked.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    killjoy wrote: »

Windows 10 does appear to have recognition issues and not just with phones and tablets; it can include drives and USB sticks too.

What I'd suggest doing is looking at the tips and ideas here https://www.google.co.uk/#q=how+to+get+windows+10+to+recognise+an+android+phone and work your way through them. Good luck!
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Samsung's Kies, like iTunes, is a horrendous bag of bloatware that intermittently crashes and I'd suggest trying to do without it if possible.

Having had both on my PC due to the kids needs over the years and now having neither I absolutely agree.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For example, Samsung phones and tablets can have their operating systems upgraded via home wifi using the upgrade functions in the Setting menu and just plugging the phone or tablet into a Windows PC should get the operating system to hunt for the relevant driver so that files and folders on the device can be accessed.
    Hi,

I agree Kies is a little ify using Win 10, ( not 7 ), and your advise is good for backing up say MP3s, Jpegs and Video by connecting phone to a PC.

But don't you need Kies to back up your contacts, messages, setting files, that kind of thing, so in the event of fault or its loss you can upload to a new Samsung phone.

Aren't these files given a particular file extension and it is possible to access then save them to a folder on your desktop without the use of Kies but as I recall the procedure is a little convoluted?
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Sorted, the problem was at the tablet end?

Needed to go to Settings and switch on Developer Options