Trouble on the Estate - BBC1 9 o'clock

Comments

• EMLEML Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I grew up on a rough council estate, I'm from an immigrant and single parent family (my dad died when I was six), but with a loving mum, hard work, study and brilliant neighbours (yes, there are some wonderful people on these estates, but they don't make as good telly) I managed to go to college, get a good job, married a lovely man and have moved to a 'better' part of town. These people should get off their backsides and DO something positive and stop blaming their background for their shortcomings!
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve781 wrote: »
    I'm not talking about Blackburn specifically. They could have chosen any estate in the country, incuding a great many in London and Birmingham. But they chose this one. Why?

What do you mean London? London does't have any social problems. :p;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    The person you know who knows them who knows they're etc etc. Hmmm your first post on here, very good grammar. I've no doubt that you're probably some awful Jack Whitehall wannabe with a crap hairstyle who doesn't know anyone who knows this bloke and his wife.

Don't believe me if you want, but it's the truth. I don't know them personally, but a colleague of mine does and they related the story to me this morning. Just thought I'd let people know in case they were actually thinking of following through on their whip around ideas.

If any newspaper does a follow up on them you'll find out I'm right about the holidays (without the kids) to Barcelona and Ibiza, about the TV's and game consoles, about the car and their benefits history.

Jack Whitehall wannabe? I was born 20 minutes away from Shadsworth and grew up in the Duke Bar area in the town over. So no, not a private school boy... the crap hair comment is neither here nor there though ;)
  • Yvo-50Yvo-50 Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CatWolf wrote: »
    The sad thing about this depressing, predictable, sensationalist and poorly made documentary was that take any one of those children and put them in a loving middle class family (for example) and they would grow up to be healthy, happy and useful members of society (give or take).

Crap breeds crap ad infinitum

I come from a working class family and we had plenty of love and I actually grew up to be a responsible hard working tax payer. Love and hard work is not limited to the middle classes you know
  • Yvo-50Yvo-50 Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EML wrote: »
    I grew up on a rough council estate, I'm from an immigrant and single parent family (my dad died when I was six), but with a loving mum, hard work, study and brilliant neighbours (yes, there are some wonderful people on these estates, but they don't make as good telly) I managed to go to college, get a good job, married a lovely man and have moved to a 'better' part of town. These people should get off their backsides and DO something positive and stop blaming their background for their shortcomings!

Well said:)
  • digimoandigimoan Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Programme was predictable

panorama presents two stories in one week : alcohol to go up to save the over 60s and trouble on the estate to justify workfare schemes

The two programmes just seem to be over exaggerated imo
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EML wrote: »
    Good points.
    I too had a pretty tough childhood, lived on a council estate and my dad died young leaving my Mum to bring 4 children up on her own.
    None of us resorted to crime or took drugs, we all did very well at school and turned out OK.
    I put it all down to good parenting, we were taught from an early age what's right or wrong and had a lot of love and respect for my Mum.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattClaret wrote: »
    Don't believe me if you want, but it's the truth. I don't know them personally, but a colleague of mine does and they related the story to me this morning. Just thought I'd let people know in case they were actually thinking of following through on their whip around ideas.

If any newspaper does a follow up on them you'll find out I'm right about the holidays (without the kids) to Barcelona and Ibiza, about the TV's and game consoles, about the car and their benefits history.

Jack Whitehall wannabe? I was born 20 minutes away from Shadsworth and grew up in the Duke Bar area in the town over. So no, not a private school boy... the crap hair comment is neither here nor there though ;)

Maybe your co-worker just doesn't like him and his wife for whatever trivial reason. Society revels in doing this through gossip that consists of exaggerations and lies. Our whole attitude in this country as a whole is the reason we're going through miserable times. Take class out of this completely, this documentary was just another spin for the conservatives to show how they're somehow correct in their naive assumptions. Yes we know there are INDIVIDUALS who would happily sponge off the state, but it's these repetitive generalisations and pigeon-holing that's causing no progress for any of us. My point to you was that out of this depressing documentary we the viewers looked at him and his wife taking positive steps. Now you come on here sprouting hearsay, it seems that you also created a DS account purely for that purpose.
    Forum Member
    Maybe your co-worker just doesn't like him and his wife for whatever trivial reason. Society revels in doing this through gossip that consists of exaggerations and lies. Our whole attitude in this country as a whole is the reason we're going through miserable times. Take class out of this completely, this documentary was just another spin for the conservatives to show how they're somehow correct in their naive assumptions. Yes we know there are INDIVIDUALS who would happily sponge off the state, but it's these repetitive generalisations and pigeon-holing that's causing no progress for any of us. My point to you was that out of this depressing documentary we the viewers looked at him and his wife taking positive steps. Now you come on here sprouting hearsay, it seems that you also created a DS account purely for that purpose.

I have good reason to believe this person, I'm not going to go into details but I am 100% certain that I am being told the truth. I made the account because having heard the details of this couple I then read people sympathizing for them and talking about potentially giving them money. I felt these people should know.

I felt real sympathy for the couple when I watched the documentary but then found out I'd been lied to. I thought that people who had watched the documentary might be interested in that information.

I don't have any agenda, it sounds like you do, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were trying to guess Olwen's age last night... looks about 60 but she's proabably about 39.. :eek:

The run dmc tracky and trainers for the trip to the job centre knocked years off her.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattClaret wrote: »
    I have good reason to believe this person, I'm not going to go into details but I am 100% certain that I am being told the truth. I made the account because having heard the details of this couple I then read people sympathizing for them and talking about potentially giving them money. I felt these people should know.

I felt real sympathy for the couple when I watched the documentary but then found out I'd been lied to. I thought that people who had watched the documentary might be interested in that information.

I don't have any agenda, it sounds like you do, though.

I obviously have no agenda as I don't claim to know anyone in connection to this documentary. What has annoyed me is the typical assasination attempt of the little strand of positivity this documentary just about had. But you go on, I've no more to say. You sure as hell can't prove it so let's wait for good old reliable british tabloids to do so :)
    Forum Member
    I obviously have no agenda as I don't claim to know anyone in connection to this documentary. What has annoyed me is the typical assasination attempt of the little strand of positivity this documentary just about had. But you go on, I've no more to say. You sure as hell can't prove it so let's wait for good old reliable british tabloids to do so :)

You brought politics and the state of the nation into your responses to me, that shows an agenda on your behalf. I've not tried to make any political points or observations. I've just relayed what I have been told about some people on the documentary, some people that we being held up as paragons of the estate and that other posters were saying they considered sending money to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    It was a difficult programme to watch - part of me felt sorry for the people and part of me was angry at the laziness!

To be honest there seemed a good community - kids playing outside, parents chatting, drinking, smoking etc etc. I hardly know my neighbours on my hard working busy street!!
  • sanfran1sanfran1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    madmaxxxx wrote: »
    It was a difficult programme to watch - part of me felt sorry for the people and part of me was angry at the laziness!

To be honest there seemed a good community - kids playing outside, parents chatting, drinking, smoking etc etc. I hardly know my neighbours on my hard working busy street!!

Funny, but this really annoyed me - I wouldn't view these scenes as reflective of a 'good community'!
    IMO seeing parents standing outside during the day drinking from beer cans,whilst 'overseeing' their fighting kids was setting a bad example at best, and bullying and intimidating at worst.
    Forum Member
    sanfran1 wrote: »
    Funny, but this really annoyed me - I wouldn't view these scenes as reflective of a 'good community'!
    IMO seeing parents standing outside during the day drinking from beer cans,whilst 'overseeing' their fighting kids was setting a bad example at best, and bullying and intimidating at worst.

My thoughts exactly. The bit where the dad with beer can and **** in hand said to the bunch of primary school age children

"Stop that or I'll beat t'f**k out o' the lot of yers"

Was absolutely cringeworthy. I see parenting like that everyday around where I live, those kids have no chance.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    The person you know who knows them who knows they're etc etc. Hmmm your first post on here, very good grammar. I've no doubt that you're probably some awful Jack Whitehall wannabe with a crap hairstyle who doesn't know anyone who knows this bloke and his wife.

Why are you having such a hard time believing MattClaret? What exactly has he got to gain from making this up :confused: BIB - and you even go as far as insulting him..
    What is your problem?

Anyway back on topic, this programme had my blood boiling, especially Olwen :mad:
  • woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    What's this song, anyone know?

this:)

http://youtu.be/aKw5mbcE7VY
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My neighbour who is 57 grew up on a council estate and attended a technical school. When it came time to leave school he and his classmates were guided towards apprenticeships depending on their abilities and qualifications.

These were for painting and decorating, plumbing, bricklaying, plastering, plumbing, car mechanics and electricians.(Amongst other things).

Where has this gone? He says to bring back these apprenticeships for young school leavers with limited qualifications.

Back to the programme, I was sorry that Oshi had made contact with his father but it hadn't worked out for him.
  • AfterglowAfterglow Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    We were trying to guess Olwen's age last night... looks about 60 but she's proabably about 39.. :eek:

According to the DM, she's 44...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2201847/Trouble-Estate-Residents-say-broadcaster-town-look-like-Shameless.html

But you're right, she hasn't aged well at all!
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Blackburn town centre and the best thing about that are the roads to other places, like Whalley, Clitheroe & the Forest of Bowland.I live in the most beautiful part of the country :)

I work full time, my work day starting at 6:50am & 5:50am on Friday so to see countless people refusing to entertain the idea of even getting a job made my blood boil. :mad: If they don't take an interest in even trying to find work then stop their benefits.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme really highlited the lack of hope on some estates currently.

Its easy to run people down and on this show people certainly had their problems.

The guy who was a cleaner was decent enough,but that lets govenment policy completely off the hook when i left school you could leave with no qualifications and still pick up a wage good nough to bring a family up on.

Today all those well paid "low skill" jobs have been out sourced what the uk is left with is minmum wage jobs that are barely worth getting up for,and top end skilled jobs these are not suitable for all,and the kids who said its not worth working for had a fair point i thoought.

Still there was enough in this programme to keep the daily mail fed for about a year.

Whilst the politicians run off laughing.
  • Janey123Janey123 Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    Thats what makes me angry. They all have large TVs, up to date mobile phones, x-boxes etc. Where I worked they would turn up in taxis to have contact with their children!!

Those taxis are paid for by Social Services usually, i.e. you and I :mad:

I a secretary to a solicitor in the Family department and this type of people are a daily feature for me. They've had their babies taken off them because they're heroin addicts/drunks etc., baby has been born suffering from heroin withdrawal and so is on methadone at 4 weeks old, mother rings up drunk complaining that she's got no money to get to contact with her baby cos she doesn't get 'paid' till Thursday so we have to contact Social Services and request that they reimburse her travel costs to see this poor baby that's in the SCBU because of her !!! :cry:
  • Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afterglow wrote: »
    According to the DM, she's 44...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2201847/Trouble-Estate-Residents-say-broadcaster-town-look-like-Shameless.html

But you're right, she hasn't aged well at all!

Urgh that article hasn't changed my opinion of her, makes me dislike the woman more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this last night.

It's sad that certain Parents in the show give this country a bad reputation.
    Mainly that Mother who was:
    1. Against Schooling !!!!
    2. Smoked Dope & Cigarettes in the house in front of her kids !!!
    3. Complained at the thought of having to go to the job centre for an interview when she "had better things to do" ???!!!
    4. Added the 1/2 hour walk (each way) to work as a dinner lady assistant when she didnt get paid for it.

No wonder the children don't have a good start in life with that horrid woman as a role model.

There is loads of single parents out there on benefits that most certainly don't choose to live like that.

I also notice that they all seem to have flat screen TV's in the lounge, kitchen and bedrooms.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olwen is a perfect candidate for an A4E 2 year course.