Options

If DW was created tomorrow

2»

Comments

• Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I am thoroughly fed up of the cult of Capaldi. .

Just thinking, when 12's episodes broadcast and everyone say's how good he is, this would be a great name for his fan club :D
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    JackMShep wrote: »
    I think it'll be a different show if every week a 55 year old man and 20-something woman went into a portaloo :p

:O

Could be a recycling bin that you could sort of climb into?
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    Or, for that matter, Star Trek enterprise, which had an episode which featured a time machine that was bigger on the inside...

I don't know if any of you have seen this before, but it features Star Trek: The Next Generation during Season 5 of their show, crossed over with Doctor Who.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation/Doctor_Who:_Assimilation2

In the DW universe, it is set after The Vampires of Venice but before the Silurian two parter.

I've got the hardback book of this featuring both parts to the story. I bought it last week. It's not cheap either for a graphic novel.

I've read all of the book and I LOVE it! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you have seen this before, but it features Star Trek: The Next Generation during Season 5 of their show, crossed over with Doctor Who.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation/Doctor_Who:_Assimilation2

I've got the hardback book of this featuring both parts to the story. I bought it last week. It's not cheap either for a graphic novel.

I've read all of the book and I LOVE it! :cool:

You and me both! I got the hardback version with the wraparound cover too. Glad I waited for it instead of buying the 2 smaller trades.

I'm still really annoyed that the BBC took the rights back from IDW, thus cancelling the sequel they were hoping to do. I wonder what they would have done though? Maybe reversing it all and having the Enterprise enter the Doctors Universe? Would have been fun to see them encountering the Daleks! Or maybe even the Docor encountering Q? The mind boggles at what he would have thought of the Matt Smith Doctor!
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a skip.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Sometimes, the best ideas are forced by circumstance or just plain luck. The Transporter in Star Trek was devised as a way to avoid costly visuals of the ship landing each week. Costly also in terms of story time. The Transporter gets the story going very quickly by getting the characters to the location quickly.

Compare and contrast with the Vipers in original Battlestar Galactica: week in, week out, repeated shots of Vipers launching or in flight. Repeated so often they became tedious.

The TARDIS is a similar budget and time saving device. It propels the characters into the story quickly, without all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace. It's why, over the years, not many stories have featured long sequences in the TARDIS or about the TARDIS.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    But if it started tomorrow it wouldn't be as they aren't widespread at the moment. If what is speculated in the article is true, then maybe if it started in a year or two it would have still been, but not now. Sorry if Im being a bit nit picky, but just saying.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if it started tomorrow it wouldn't be as they aren't widespread at the moment. If what is speculated in the article is true, then maybe if it started in a year or two it would have still been, but not now. Sorry if Im being a bit nit picky, but just saying.

And there I was, just about to point to the "myth" thread that Doctor Who fans are nit picky... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    And there I was, just about to point to the "myth" thread that Doctor Who fans are nit picky... :D
    Don't think half the thread's and posts on the forum would exist if we weren't :)
  • Options
    JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    It could be a garden shed. Quite a common object, some don't have windows, they're a similar size to the Tardis and are made out of wood. And they feel quite British, even though they have them all over the world. This one would be a good one: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=165216

One of the best things about Doctor Who is that, if it wasn't for the show, hardly anybody today under the age of 50 would know of the existence of police boxes.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for Doctor Who, no-one in Britain would suggest the "police box" as a shape for the TARDIS in 2014 - we simply don't have any connection to that thing EXCEPT for this TV show.

So...

If DW was being created today, what would the exterior of the TARDIS look like?

Is there anything that we see everyday on The High Street that matches the post-war police box (which wasn't THAT rare in 1963)?

It needs to be large enough to fit a human through "the door" and it must be accessible - for purely practical, production reasons - so no hiding the TARDIS inside a CCTV camera.

Can we have a TARDIS that looks like poundland or starbucks?

Literally, could you make DW with that 1963 remit in 2014 - or does it only work because od when it was first created?

I quite like the idea of an ambulance which funster suggested. It could still keep its shape constantly and materialise anywhere and people gravitate towards it as a reassuring symbol of help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It could be a garden shed. Quite a common object, some don't have windows, they're a similar size to the Tardis and are made out of wood. And they feel quite British, even though they have them all over the world. This one would be a good one: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=165216

One of the best things about Doctor Who is that, if it wasn't for the show, hardly anybody today under the age of 50 would know of the existence of police boxes.
    yes I like this idea, a shed is probably the closest British type thing in size and shape you can get to the police box, and it's the kind of thing that has been around for years and presumably will be for many more years to come so instantly recognizable.