Options

Islamic State Milliants Behead U.S Reporter

Comments

• Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is somewhat crass, but if you are tied up and about to be beheaded on camera, wouldn't you just refuse the read out that bullshite statement about "evil America"? I mean, it's not like they can do anything worse to you for refusing is it?

they have other prisoners too, maybe he wanted to spare them other atrocities.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is somewhat crass, but if you are tied up and about to be beheaded on camera, wouldn't you just refuse the read out that bullshite statement about "evil America"? I mean, it's not like they can do anything worse to you for refusing is it?
    Sure, they could enter a long, drawn out process of torturing you mercilessly, then behead you anyway. I think the sickening reality probably trumps the hollywood fantasy of spitting in your captors face and going out in a blaze of heroic bravery, for the majority of people it happens to.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    And it's easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight but, at the time, the only issues were Saddams continued possession of prohibited weapons and his persecution of ethnic minorities.
    Lots if people said that with foresight including Colin Powel. They were just ignored. Nation building is an extremely expensive long term commitment and the US and UK didn't want to pay then, or apparently now. Without that commitment then chaos is bound to ensue.

The cheap option doesn't work. Originally an exercise like the postwar democratisation work in Japan should have been implemented if they were decided to overthrow Saddam. But that would require presidential, and both houses persuading and explaining such an effort to the US populace. It would need consensus which there wasn't at the time and probably isn't now either.
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member

Yeah, pretty crass in the circumstances.
    Maybe they told him they wouldn't behead him if he read it out?
    In that situation most people would do or say anything to avoid what happened to him.
    No one knows what has been said and done off camera, and to even think of judging this poor guy for saying what he said is pretty pathetic tbh.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    "F*ck you" and spit on the floor you mean? That happens in the movies. What is more likely that the general disbelief of what is about to happen coupled with fear and (futile) hope of a change of heart causes people to do anything asked of them, and why many people in these videos are usually sat or knelt very still and quiet.

In fairness to Foley, he maintained a stoic demeanour to the end in the face of an awful death. RIP

Yeah, true. I like to think I'd do that and shout some anti-Islamic obscenities but in reality, I'd probably crying like a baby and begging to live....not very dignified.

RIP indeed.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    "F*ck you" and spit on the floor you mean? That happens in the movies. What is more likely that the general disbelief of what is about to happen coupled with fear and (futile) hope of a change of heart causes people to do anything asked of them, and why many people in these videos are usually sat or knelt very still and quiet.

In fairness to Foley, he maintained a stoic demeanour to the end in the face of an awful death. RIP

I've often wondered if the people are drugged before they do it, some of them appear not to put up any sort of struggle.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I've often wondered if the people are drugged before they do it, some of them appear not to put up any sort of struggle.

It's a psychological compliance and resignation thing, in that your brain will be telling you "It's over. Don't fight it, you'll just make them madder and it will make things worse"
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I haven't and won't be watching the video but feel physically sick. What a horrible and drawn out way to die.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't and won't be watching the video but feel physically sick. What a horrible and drawn out way to die.

Without being too graphic, the build up and anticipation would likely be the worst thing. Adrenaline would carry you through the act itself to the point of unconsciousness, which would be pretty rapid, seconds at the most.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I hope so
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the words may have been true to him, as a journalist James Foley highlighted the destruction that the US unleashed on Muslims through war. And at the moment of his death it was indeed US foreign policy that cost him his life.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    oncemore wrote: »
    This is insane. People here (the US) are outraged, some are even calling for the govt to step up their bombings on IS to punish them. I have no idea if the response is going to be proportionate or what they're going to do, but the outrage is palpable. It's just a terrible, terrible thing.

And to think a Brit was the butcher. I knew you guys had a problem over there but I never knew it was so far gone...

It is very, very sad, the video is heartbreaking. It is another despicable act, by utterly despicable, brain addled thugs.

This has been growing, and flourishing here for some time, but most people have just ignored it, or are seemingly oblivious to it. You can, unfortunately, rest assured, our government will, as normal, sit back and do absolutely diddly-squat. Maybe with some pressure from America ........? I wouldn't hold my breath though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    This has been growing, and flourishing here for some time, but most people have just ignored it, or are seemingly oblivious to it.

Many people who pointed out what was happening have been shouted down, ridiculed and vilified by a certain demographic who were seemingly keen to point out that such observations are only the remit of knuckle-dragging right-wing racists.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Nobody has ignored it at all, people are just too scared to state the obvious because all the do-gooders come trotting out calling you a racist and a bigot.

EDIT: I hope they're happy now.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

They can threaten to kill a bunch of your fellow hostages if you refuse to cooperate.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geos wrote: »
    Just unleash a nuclear on the whole of the middle east, level it all.

It truly is the toilet of the earth

I support this.

The whole region is lost. Better to level it and start again.

Nuke it from orbit...
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well being beheaded is one is of the quicker ways to die. There is always being flayed (Skinned alive), Boiled, burned, slowly dismembered. In the scheme of things he probably thought of a worse case scenario and kept quiet.
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    I support this.

The whole region is lost. Better to level it and start again.

Nuke it from orbit...

It's the only way.
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read about this I feel ill.
    Who is funding these animals? Maybe the money supply should be cut off- see how long they last then.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I've watched the video of his death. It's absolutely disgraceful.

I'm hoping the US, Kurds et al come down on the IS like a ton of bricks.

The other US reporter is Steven Joel Sotloff.

Why the hell would you watch that! :o
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This evil act is just one of many atrocities happening there. They are on a rampage of beheadings, crucifixions, shootings and even burying alive men women and children. That is their Islamic State. I can't watch the video it would be too upsetting.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coolmum123 wrote: »
    Having read about this I feel ill.
    Who is funding these animals? Maybe the money supply should be cut off- see how long they last then.

Qatar allegedly. Where the world cup is happening. :o
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can imagine this will spur the USA into some serious revenge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell would you watch that! :o

It's real life. I like to see with my own eyes what happened.

As for the question of why didn't he fight back, it's very probable that he's been subjected to months and months of psychological torture, including mock executions. That might not have been the first time he's been bound and taken to the desert thinking that he's going to be killed.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently it's humane when you do that to animals...