Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJ Dahi on working on the new album.

http://lifeandtimes.com/check-the-credits-dj-dahi-speaks-on-producing-for-big-sean-drake-madonna-more/11

"I’ve been in with her for the last month. Me and my friend Blood Diamonds have worked on a good portion of the album. It’s been dope. It’s a new experience for me. Working with Madonna has put me in a new creative space, because I’ve produced a big chunk of the album. It’s not just like one track or like I’m just submitting beats. It’s like we’ve been in the studio together and we’ve been working together. It’s all collaborative. It’s made me realize that I want to be there more and more working with the artists and crafting something together. Making beats and sending them in is cool, but it’s kind of disconnected. That’s something I’m focused on more and more after working with Madonna. That album is supposed to be coming next year. Hopefully, everybody loves it. It’s cool, because it’s so different from what people would expect. People are going to be like, “What the hell?” The opportunity came about through word of mouth. She liked my music and was a fan of my style. She had told me she appreciated the mindset that I take with my music. Most of the records that have come out that I’ve done have been with rappers and R&B artists, but there’s still something alternative about the records. There are other elements and she appreciates that, so it was cool for her to say that and then for her to say, ‘Okay, let’s go work.’ I’m working with Madonna and all I have to do is be myself.”

Also Madonna was at the Wall Street Journal awards giving an award to her dancer. Her speech sounds very funny and touching.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/11/madonna-stole-the-show-at-wsj-innovator-awards.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop music is in such a funny place.

I mean MDNA was almost three years ago....yet it is fun seeing its uieter influence on modern Pop music....look at Rihanna, Miley, gaga, Beyonce, Britney, Kylie now Taylor releases since....the focus on Power Pop/Retro Pop as well as rave culture and EDM music ...and double meanings within lyrics in the dual identity style productions....Dark/light themes....stuff i love about the album.

I mean i just wished Luvin was a smash much like Shake It Off and the like are hits this year....it is crazy...also i find it funny ALL the most successful pop albums of the past year i have seen really polarise opinion ...whether they sell several million in a week or not it is just insanely bizarre!

So really it truly doesnt matter...today people just want successful artists to appear like they have "flopped" I am not a massive fan of Taylor or Beyonce or Katy Perry or Miley but gosh i do not make their successes into "flops" I find it so bizarre!

Anyways played MDNA today just adore the album....so much about it i love yet so many seem to criticise it for ....my fifth fave M album as it stands :-) adore the blend of Bennassi, Orbit, Ahlund and Solveig across the 116 songs just wished that it was beter handled perhaps....but the vibe and personality is definitely there and plays out like a trippy moern indie film soundtrack that in so many ways has improved with time IMO....

Anyways bang up to date...loved her look of late it is still classy with elements of danger its bizarre and i love it! she looks so natural.....and she is having so much fun.

Blood DIamonds is INSANE i love his work with grimes and Charli XCX so i am beyond ecstatic it is confirmed he and the equally warped DJ Dahi have had a LOT of material and time working with Madonna....also gald Diplo and Ariel Rechtshaide have been a real drive too.

I played my Disclosure album beginning of the week and really wished she went that direction of the underground dance vibe....but I truly think bizarre, warped, colourful styles is forward thinking! there is still time in the future for her to hook up with the Disclosure boys much as she did with Massive Attack in late 1995.....so i do not doubt she may work with them for album 14 BUT I do feel we do need the follow up to MDNA to really continue to blaze through and be daring in sound and themes.....cannot wait!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get Taylor Swift and the fuss around her at all. Her album is such a massive seller and much more critically acclaimed than the other pop girls like Rihanna, Miley, Katy Perry, Gaga, Britney etc. But I don't find her music that much deeper than those other pop girls, but for some reason while critics look down on the others, they praise Taylor like crazy.
    Taylor has some electronics but I wouldn't say it's dance or EDM. She kind of ignores contemporary music like hip hop or EDM. I guess some people like that, but to me it makes her music very bland. To me she is kind of like a boy band, very sanitized pop.
    Her fashion look and her personality is kind of bland also. I guess that makes her more relatable to some people, but of all the pop girls she is the most boring to me. I'd take Miley over here any day. At least Miley has a personality and some passion to her. To me Taylor is just a nothing. But for some reason she is much more of a critical darling than the other pop girls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that everyone is talking about Blood Diamonds and DJ Dahi producing the album. Avicii has been completely forgotten. I wonder if the tracks she did with Avicii are going to be on the album. It does seem like she was more into working with Diplo than Avicii and maybe that put the album into a different direction. I wouldn't mind too much if the Avicii stuff didn't make the album. I like his album but I didn't think too much of the song he did with Robbie Williams singing.

Yes, pop is a weird place. Maybe it wasn't the best song, but I'm surprised that Baby Don't Lie the single from Gwen Stefani flopped so much. It seems right in line with the dance/EDM stuff a lot of people are doing. Gwen as far as her style is the closest to Madonna, but her song did the worst.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all todays "pop acts" RIhanna, gaga are the ones that intrigue and excite me most...no two albums are the same in feel or vibe (bar RIhannas first two which are VERY island/R&B) and of course Britney whom i have been a fan of since BOMT! But they always seem to get more criticism than YAY wow that is blowing me away...I dunno :-D it is weird.

Speaking of RIhanna, I adore that she has worked with some underground producers for her next album...and cannot wait to hear it...I think that is thankfully where Pop is heading now...just an inventive space without losing its POP but ultimately being so very cool!

Avicii i love but....like when we saw Malones Choir for CIN last week my sister pointed out that Avicii is everywhere...with Wake Me Up so i do think now later in 2014 it is perhaps much better to not have the early material recorded Feb/March this year...though i would presume that a few songs will make it...Rebel Heart, Heartbreak City, Devils Eyes all came from the sessions and have been hash tagged in recent days so hmmmm...we shall see...they were from the early sessions so maybe that is the acoustic demos and her work with Diplo, DJ Dahi, Blood Diamonds.....I just hope are pushing buttons.

I know Diplo is with Skrillex with their united DJ team up shows and their song with Kiesza is getting airplay ...ironically Madonna filmed her dancer/David her son dancing to her hit song earlier today! crazy the links....but cool sounds like those would be just beautiful!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Madonna's instagram, there is a picture of magician David Blaine with cards that have questions written on them that appear to be addressed to Madonna. It looks like he is interviewing her for some magazine or tv show or something. I can't make out most of the questions though. One looks like something such as what current artists do you think inspire young people the way that Frida Kahlo inspired you. Can anyone read the questions?

http://instagram.com/p/vINP6bGEbF/?modal=true
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    has anyone heard Birdy's cover of 'Lucky Star' ? Isn't it wonderful? It would have made an epic Christmas Advert song.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    has anyone heard Birdy's cover of 'Lucky Star' ? Isn't it wonderful? It would have made an epic Christmas Advert song.

I don't even know who Birdy is!

I'm not really a fan of other people singing Madonna songs!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumoured clip of Rebel Heart from the studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwuWZHMAQEY

Sounds good. It definitely sounds like her voice to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    On Madonna's instagram, there is a picture of magician David Blaine with cards that have questions written on them that appear to be addressed to Madonna. It looks like he is interviewing her for some magazine or tv show or something. I can't make out most of the questions though. One looks like something such as what current artists do you think inspire young people the way that Frida Kahlo inspired you. Can anyone read the questions?

http://instagram.com/p/vINP6bGEbF/?modal=true

Some of them seem to be from celebrities. The one partially obscured by the wine glass (can something by obscured by transparent materials? :P ) is from Harmony Korine and reads "What's the most violent thing you've ever seen?". I see "Norton", presumably "Graham Norton", on the card beside it which reads "Is there an alternative path to the life you chose down which you think you'd have been very happy?". My neck is tired so I'm not reading the 5 of Hearts. :P
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of them seem to be from celebrities. The one partially obscured by the wine glass (can something by obscured by transparent materials? :P ) is from Harmony Korine and reads "What's the most violent thing you've ever seen?". I see "Norton", presumably "Graham Norton", on the card beside it which reads "Is there an alternative path to the life you chose down which you think you'd have been very happy?". My neck is tired so I'm not reading the 5 of Hearts. :P

That sounds cool! Can't wait for the interview to be published. She tagged Interview Magazine so I think the interview maybe in there.

Sorry, that clip was a false alarm. It's not her new song. I wonder when we will get news on the new album. It seems like a long time since we've heard anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how I feel...

We have Madonna on a song by Diplo (from his album i presume? or just a single not sure) with Nicki Minaj and a girl called Sophie on it? which is to be released soon.....Madonna has also posted a pic with rapper Nas...whom...In my experience has not really added too much to songs...some at first speculated it was Miguel...but Madonna tagges Nas there...so definitely not.

So yeah a mixed bunch of new music news...and apparently a film called Ade that Madonna is directing has been assigned a writer....again i am not sure as to what that means...but i thinkperhaps this album may indeed not be a touring one necessarily...or at least not yet if she has a film project going on too...we shall see?

Anyways with all these people around and her MAVERICK label launch it makes sense as these guys (plus U2, Miley) have been assigned to her label recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how I feel...

We have Madonna on a song by Diplo (from his album i presume? or just a single not sure) with Nicki Minaj and a girl called Sophie on it? which is to be released soon.....Madonna has also posted a pic with rapper Nas...whom...In my experience has not really added too much to songs...some at first speculated it was Miguel...but Madonna tagges Nas there...so definitely not.

So yeah a mixed bunch of new music news...and apparently a film called Ade that Madonna is directing has been assigned a writer....again i am not sure as to what that means...but i thinkperhaps this album may indeed not be a touring one necessarily...or at least not yet if she has a film project going on too...we shall see?

Anyways with all these people around and her MAVERICK label launch it makes sense as these guys (plus U2, Miley) have been assigned to her label recently.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that the film has been assigned a writer. It takes awhile to write a script so that doesn't mean she will be directing the film immediately. The things with films is they take a long time to be prepared before filming can start. They take a much longer time than albums do generally. I think the album will come out in the spring. The tour will be in the summer and the fall, and she will direct the movie after that.
    I find it interesting that she works will all kinds of different artists and is open to different things. I try not to be too judgmental about who she works with. More music from her the better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna's on her yearly trip to Malawi. Here is a picture of her and local rapper Tay Grin
    http://instagram.com/p/v4M7gugA_6/?modal=true&_suid=1417049192218043443216593004763

His story about he was sitting home with no plans and his mum called and said do you want to have dinner with Madonna is so funny. He says she was down to earth and funny. That's how I imagine her to be despite all those stories about what a bitch she is!

Usually she goes there when she has finished a project and is about to go on a new publicity push to recharge so to speak. So I think the wait is finally over and a new era is beginning soon!
  • Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Thank GOD she appears to have declined the X Factor invite!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A snippet of Rebel Heart has leaked!

It's low quality but I love the sound of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqU8B6IBWo&feature=youtu.be
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member
    A snippet of Rebel Heart has leaked!

It's low quality but I love the sound of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdqU8B6IBWo&feature=youtu.be

I'm not sold on it but it is only 41 secs and quality is poor. It's definitely not lead single material.

I'm off to icon to see what they think.
  • SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the sound of this purely because she is singing about herself and her life again. Her best work always came from her own experiences.
    Forum Member
    i like the sound of it ... it sounds like a hybrid of 'confessions and american life' material ... its only a demo tho ....a bit 'get outta my way' by Kylie in places...
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last new music! I like the sound of it, but her vocals seem a bit....dodgy? Hopefully it is just a demo and not the finished version. Remember when GMAYL leaked and it was claimed it was a demo, and then the single version was identical?
    Forum Member
    babelogue wrote: »
    At last new music! I like the sound of it, but her vocals seem a bit....dodgy? Hopefully it is just a demo and not the finished version. Remember when GMAYL leaked and it was claimed it was a demo, and then the single version was identical?

yeah that happened to a few leaks .... bad romance, born this way, GMAYL are the ones that come to mind....

her vocals do sound more demo but i like the fact thats she's using the lower tones of her voice again ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it! But then I love most stuff she does. It has an American Life feel to it with the combination of guitars and electronics.
  • RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. It feels old already and the lyrics.....the narcissist line ..is cringe worthy. It honestly feels like it could have come off the American Life album, which is perhaps my least favourite album of hers ever.

The chorus is reasonably catchy, but the song needs major rework if it is to be a lead single. Like the difference between the original Beat goes on and the final one. It needs that much of a jump imo.:(
  • RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Sereniity wrote: »
    I like the sound of this purely because she is singing about herself and her life again. Her best work always came from her own experiences.

It's ironic she's singing a song about herself and using the I used to be a narcissist line. She still is!!

It's also a subject matter she has covered dozens of times in much better ways..Drowned World anyone?
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    There's a rumour that the clip is a leak of an early demo of the song and not the finished version.

Lol @ the mention of her being a narcissist though!

:-D:-D:-D