Getting a Mac to talk to a PC.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good Day and Happy New Year.

I have a question.
Flatmate who has been using my mac for the last few months has brought a PC and now im trying to help him move over his files (photos and music) to his computer.

I tried added my external Hard Drive to his computer - It sees item added and knows its a Storage device but it doesnt show in his COMPUTER area. Only under devices.

I then tried a Wireless Network between our two computers.
Seems ok,Both computers see it, but on my mac when i type the password in - it just hangs and doesnt want to connect.

He has a new HP computer running Windows 7.
Im using my mac book pro and running Leopard (i think) - about 2 years old. - So not the update thing they had a few months ago.

is it poss for macs and pcs to talk. any suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    pc's can not read mac formatted drives in the usb sense. you would need to format the drive in like fat32 or something that both computers can read.

prbly easier if you just format the external drive on the pc.

peer to peer networking between a mac and a pc is not the easiest thing in the world, but if you have a network the mac should work fully with windows file and print sharing.
  • paulbeattie87paulbeattie87 Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which version of OS X is your friend using?

Connecting between OS X - OS X is best served by AFP, OS X to windows has to use SAMBA. In the sharing preference pane if you click on file sharing on the right hand side and then click the options button you'll get the option to enable Samba. http://idisk.me.com/paul.beattie/Public/Pictures/Skitch/System_Preferences-20100102-145625.jpg You'll have to elaborate some more on what password you're putting in, I'm not too sure. Windows 7 has some very fickle file sharing when I used it, doesn't seem like you can just share a folder like a dropbox essentially. Also if the amount of data is substantial you might want to think about using Ethernet and turning off Airport, transferring via wireless is slow on my 802.11N network let alone a 802.11G one!

As for the hard drives. OS X tends to use a file system called HFS+ Journaled. Windows uses NTFS. OS X can't read and write NTFS without third party drivers, the same goes for Windows and HFS+. The best option in that instance is to format the drive using disk utility as FAT32. While this generally works well, any files over 4GB will not copy across as FAT32 can't address files bigger than 4GB.

P.S. The update thing for OS X they released is well worth the purchase. At £29 you'd be crazy not to for the speed improvements it brings.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    How much data are you talking about? If it isn't substantial, you can use one of the online services like Dropbox or SkyDrive to upload the files.

It isn't ideal (compared to an external drive or via the network), as upload speed will be slow, but it does give the added benefit of having the files backed up (which they should be anyway).
  • VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member

P.S. The update thing for OS X they released is well worth the purchase. At £29 you'd be crazy not to for the speed improvements it brings.

Agreed and it is only £20 now.
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're using Leopard, do it via the network -

System Preferences / Sharing.

Take note of your computer name.

Now, go to File Sharing and add a shared folder, the one with his stuff in. Allow Everyone read access, this should cut out the headache of username/password request.

Press Options and ensure "Share files and folders using SMB" is ticked and enable / turn on your user account.

Now, back on the Windows side. Start / Computer, to open up Windows Explorer. In the left column, go to Network and browse to your Mac. You should hopefully find the new shared folder. It may prompt you for your username & password if you didn't share the folder with "Everyone" access.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they get along better than their owners.:D
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvwatcher wrote: »
    I then tried a Wireless Network between our two computers.
    Seems ok,Both computers see it, but on my mac when i type the password in - it just hangs and doesnt want to connect.

Try temporarily disabling Windows' firewall.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're using Leopard, do it via the network -

System Preferences / Sharing.

Take note of your computer name.

Now, go to File Sharing and add a shared folder, the one with his stuff in. Allow Everyone read access, this should cut out the headache of username/password request.

Press Options and ensure "Share files and folders using SMB" is ticked and enable / turn on your user account.

Now, back on the Windows side. Start / Computer, to open up Windows Explorer. In the left column, go to Network and browse to your Mac. You should hopefully find the new shared folder. It may prompt you for your username & password if you didn't share the folder with "Everyone" access.

yep - i've just tried this only from the opposite direction.. can confirm it works. shared out a folder on my windows 7 machine, then went to the mac, typed in the windows comp's IP address through the Go To Server dialog on the mac, then it threw up all the shared folders which i was able to access.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go for peer-peer, Windows 7 will set you up maybe. Check the "Network and Sharing Center" in Control Panel.

You could also try with an RS-232 Cable. Google that. Good Luck.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore my post, didnt see Irish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloody slow over the wireles.. 20 minutes to copy a 2.25 gig file :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, Thanks for the advice but im getting very confused in all these settings.

I got them to network to each other (on my mac it said it was connected to this connection i made on the pc)
    but i couldnt work out how to send a pic from the mac to the pc.
    i couldnt find export or move to (PC NAME)

i went under networks and computers and there wasnt the pc computer there.

The simplest way for me would be to do this via hard drive.
    Can i buy a small harddrive tomorrow (the one i tried using recently is a hard drive which is also my time machine)

So if i buy a hard drive - just connect to my mac - insert pics - and this will work with a pc - just dont format the drive to a mac.

Will that work?

or can i use a (modem cable - ethernet ??) to connect the two machines together - not much thought has gone into this?
    or is there a cable i can buy? - cheap enough?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    bloody slow over the wireles.. 20 minutes to copy a 2.25 gig file :(

With so many files to copy, Ethernet is better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, Thanks for the advice but im getting very confused in all these settings.

I got them to network to each other (on my mac it said it was connected to this connection i made on the pc)
    but i couldnt work out how to send a pic from the mac to the pc.
    i couldnt find export or move to (PC NAME)

i went under networks and computers and there wasnt the pc computer there.

Can i buy a small harddrive tomorrow (the one i tried using recently is a hard drive which is also my time machine)

So if i buy a hard drive - just connect to my mac - insert pics - and this will work with a pc - just dont format the drive to a mac.

Will that work?

or can i use a (modem cable - ethernet ??) to connect the two machines together - not much thought has gone into this?
    or is there a cable i can buy? - cheap enough?

i didn't have to go and amend any settings... the most complicated part of it was setting up the shared folder on the windows machine and that was easy. but if it still doesn't work out for you then use the USB drive method... it should work fine... if its a small enough size then you can use a USB pen instead of a full external HD.

you can't just plug 2 machines together like that, at least not with an ethernet cable. everything has to go via a router or bridge and doing something simillar to what you're trying now... btw, can you know the IP address of each computer. can they ping each other?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    With so many files to copy, Ethernet is better.

yeah, i know.. just can't be bothered digging out the cable and setting it up. i can watch a bit of the assassination of richard nixon while i wait
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might find with a new drive that it is formatted NTFS in which case you'd need to format it FAT32 to get it working on both Windows and OS X.

As for sharing on Windows 7 you need to disable the firewall or work out how to allow the Mac complete access or find out Samba ports. Second to "paste" files onto the Windows 7 PC you need to enable public sharing to get rid of the password prompt. That's in Network and Sharing Center, Advanced Sharing Settings, and turn on the public folder sharing. Then you need to turn off password protected sharing in the Network and Sharing center as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if i buy a hard drive - just connect to my mac - insert pics - and this will work with a pc - just dont format the drive to a mac. Will that work?

Yes, format it for Windows in FAT32. That way both Windows and Mac can read and write to it. The downside is no file can be bigger than 4 gig IIRC. OS X can only read NTFS, not write to it.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Can i buy a small harddrive tomorrow(

The first thing you need to do is to calculate how much much data you have. Under 16GB and you might be better off buying a USB stick instead of a hard drive. Most of them should already be FAT32 formatted.
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    Yes, format it for Windows in FAT32. That way both Windows and Mac can read and write to it. The downside is no file can be bigger than 4 gig IIRC. OS X can only read NTFS, not write to it.

Can OS X format a drive in FAT32? Vista and W7 can only format a drive to 32GB in FAT32. A third-party tool is required to format to the full capacity.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    If you have wifi why not just set up a wireless network and connect that way?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think he tried that but neither computer could see the other one... thats why he turned off his firewall but there are still problems connectiing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Can OS X format a drive in FAT32?

Yes. Disk Utility calls it 'MS-DOS' format or something. Don't know how it copes with big drives though. Never tried it with anything other than USB drives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah you're right MS-DOS (FAT32)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok, i have connected both mac and pc to each other by ethernet - now what?

both computers know something is there.

Under Windows - In network - it says Local Area Connection but No Internet Access.

Under my Mac it says under network settings:
    Build in Ethernet - Self Assigned IP (shows a connect icon) and sys connected.
    also says
    Configure - Using DHCP
    IP Address. 169. blah blah
    Subnet Mast - Number
    Router - Empty
    DNS Server - Empy
    Search Domains - Empty

How do i send via this ethernet.
    When i look under computers section - no mention of the other computer.

i do appreciate all your offers and help by the way.
    Thanks a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't connect them through the router can you? Neither of the computers is acting as a central point for communication management. While it is possible to connect two computers together it's not easy from what I can remember, in fact you'll need some crossover Ethernet cable. The cable you'll be using just now will be straight through which won't work, generally speaking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I hope they get along better than their owners.:D

Teehee, my thoughts exactly :)

Anyway I'd have thought the easiest option for the OP is to transfer the files over a LAN or WLAN. That way you are guaranteed to be able to transfer anything you want as you could set up an FTP server on either or both of the machines. I use Filezilla Server (which is free, and available for Windows, OS/X, and Linux) which ensures I can freely transfer files to pretty much anything able to connect over my WLAN.