The Dictator

2»

Comments

• GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed Borat and Bruno. This barely raised a smile from me, I thought I was abnormal as the people I saw it with thought it was great.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this enjoyable, but not too brilliant. Mediocre in places, with odd moments of hilarity scattered throughout.

Didn't think much of Anna Faris or Ben Kingsley in this though really. And the Wiki page said Edward Norton and Megan Fox made cameos..I must have missed that! When did they make cameos?
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a little disjointed but generally quite funny.

It's only 1hr 16m long, so maybe the reason it's disjointed is because so much was removed.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    I found this enjoyable, but not too brilliant. Mediocre in places, with odd moments of hilarity scattered throughout.

Didn't think much of Anna Faris or Ben Kingsley in this though really. And the Wiki page said Edward Norton and Megan Fox made cameos..I must have missed that! When did they make cameos?

Megan Fox is in it when Aladeen pays her to sleep with him near the start, I missed Ed Norton though :confused:
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Megan Fox is in it when Aladeen pays her to sleep with him near the start, I missed Ed Norton though :confused:

Ah, that was her? Christ, I didn't recognise her... :confused:

A quick google image search of "Edward Norton The Dictator" provides one shot of Aladeen in his USA tracksuit shouting at the policeman who arrested him. Was that Norton? Because if it was, I didn't recognise him either...
    Forum Member
    It was definitely Megan I'm sure :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Ed Norton was seen towards the end coming out of the gents with the asian guy who was Secretary General(?), presumably having just given the guy a BJ.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that despite half a dozen laugh out loud bits it really wasn't a good film and in parts it was puerile and downright embarrassingly unfunny ( the scene where he is pleasuring himself in the stockroom !!!! wtf :eek:.............is there anyone who genuinely found that anything other than cringe making???)

It seems to be that because of the money available in the movie world a lot of our credible comedians sell themselves out when it comes to films and get involved in rubbish ( Gervais,Baron Cohen,Brand) that they know in their hearts isn't really funny.

Does anyone remember the TV series Whoops Apocalypse from years ago?......that is the kind of thing I was expecting here
    .......... clever satire and all I got was mostly unfunny farce which was disappointing considering the subject matter that lends it self so well to parody.

Even the speech at the end which could have been the axis of the film was allowed to fizzle out at the end into nothing without the point being properly made.

Absolutely NOT recommended.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robston wrote: »
    Ed Norton was seen towards the end coming out of the gents with the asian guy who was Secretary General(?), presumably having just given the guy a BJ.
    the "asian guy" was the chinese head of state i think, trying to get the oil resources from waheeda (can't remember the country?)

and yes, that was ed norton - funny cameo without saying a single word
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I thought that despite half a dozen laugh out loud bits it really wasn't a good film and in parts it was puerile and downright embarrassingly unfunny ( the scene where he is pleasuring himself in the stockroom !!!! wtf :eek:.............is there anyone who genuinely found that anything other than cringe making???)

Well i thought that bit was funny, and so did pretty much everyone else in the cinema when i saw the film.
    Forum Member
    The setting of that scene to Kelly Clarkson's A Moment Like This, and the "Run Forrest Run" scene from Forrest Gump was comic genius :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was alright, better than Bruno but nothing on Borat.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Return to form for Sacha Baron Cohen. I thought it was a great comedy, i laughed all the way through. Not a boda fide classic like Borat but much, much, MUCH better than Bruno by miles. Still playing to a packed crowd at my local Cineworld.

Some of the scenes i didn't know whether to laugh or have my mouth wide open aghast at what i was seeing, so i think i did both! :D I admit the film was disjointed in places as others have mentioned but despite that it's very rude, very dirty and very funny - however it all depends on your sense of humour as what i may find amusing i'm sure others won't but i enjoyed it immensely. I think some of my favourite scenes were the ones that took place inside the health food store, literally laugh out loud! Couple of nice cameos in there as well.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a big mess of a film, but only in the same way as Borat and Bruno, which is the setup and story being pretty pointless, just an excuse to get to the comedy. But it WAS funny (I defy anyone on this earth not to laugh when he kicks the kid or at any point during the birth scene!). I loved the casual insults he kept saying to Anna Farris's character. I'm sure he calls her a 'lesbo hobbit' at some stage...:D

What made The Dictator different to Borat and Bruno is that it was concentrating on being much more of a fun film rather than pulling the wool over people's eyes with the covert interviews/setups etc. Despite the speech in the end where he's telling us what we all should already know, that the U.S. is basically just as much of a dictatorship (just maybe a nicer one :p), there was less satire in this than in his previous films.