"Post Library River"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell is there this thread with a massive great whopping spoiler in the title?! Well there goes my plan to go into the finale spoiler free :(:cry:

A part of me always wonders why people who want that would take the risk of visiting a site like this at all. Yes, people make the effort to hide spoilers, but this was in DWM and discussed in numerous threads.

If you are that precious then I am not sure why you would risk it.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A part of me always wonders why people who want that would take the risk of visiting a site like this at all. Yes, people make the effort to hide spoilers, but this was in DWM and discussed in numerous threads.

If you are that precious then I am not sure why you would risk it.

I like coming on this website to discuss my views on Who, particularly from episodes that have just been on, to check the ratings etc and I appreciate that there are spoilers around, which is why as a general rule I avoid threads warning about spoilers, but the fact that we see River "post-library" is a big spoiler I've seen nowhere else (I don't get DWM). I'm not being precious and I've not had any problems with spoilers before that weren't my own fault, to me I should be allowed to discuss Who without "taking a risk".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like coming on this website to discuss my views on Who, particularly from episodes that have just been on, to check the ratings etc and I appreciate that there are spoilers around, which is why as a general rule I avoid threads warning about spoilers, but the fact that we see River "post-library" is a big spoiler I've seen nowhere else (I don't get DWM). I'm not being precious and I've not had any problems with spoilers before that weren't my own fault, to me I should be allowed to discuss Who without "taking a risk".

Well, shit happens.

You come to a gossip site that talks about Who, at a time when spoilers are flying everywhere. You might miss the majority but occasionally one will slip through.

Unless the rest of us bow down and talk in code or post every single thing in tags then things will slip out.

Not being horrible, just a fact.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Besides, "Post-Library River" is more of a teaser than a spoiler. In just over a week's time, I'm sure it will be one of the main "selling points" in the trailer for The Name of the Doctor.

Are there really hardcore spoilerphobes who spend their lives like the Likely Lads, desperately trying to avoid the football score? It must be tough avoiding all those trailers, interviews, newspaper reports, magazine covers and online discussions in which something might slip out.:D
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've seen her in more than one library. ;)
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there really hardcore spoilerphobes who spend their lives like the Likely Lads, desperately trying to avoid the football score? It must be tough avoiding all those trailers, interviews, newspaper reports, magazine covers and online discussions in which something might slip out.:D

I don't avoid them, I just happen not to watch them or read them. The only spoilers that reach me outside this forum are the big ones that end up on regular news sites like Tennant and Piper returning. The title for this thread is really unnecessary, as it refers to a significant leaked spoiler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    I don't avoid them, I just happen not to watch them or read them. The only spoilers that reach me outside this forum are the big ones that end up on regular news sites like Tennant and Piper returning. The title for this thread is really unnecessary, as it refers to a significant leaked spoiler.
    But what if the post-library revelation is featured prominently during the trailer for TNotD in 8 days time? Will it still be a spoiler? If not, is your main issue being spoiled too soon?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are far too sensitive. Do you really think it will only be revealed at the end of the episode as a shocking twist?

And with Moff being Mr Angry about spoilers, do you really think that DWM would be able to have revealed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what if the post-library revelation is featured prominently during the trailer for TNotD in 8 days time? Will it still be a spoiler? If not, is your main issue being spoiled too soon?

It's up to the editing people. Personally, I wouldn't watch the "Next Time" trailer but since it's always tacked on to the episode I don't have much of a choice.
    And even if it is spoiled in the trailer, it would feel a lot more exciting than accidentally reading about it here. Imagine if we'd all read somewhere that JLC would be in Asylum of the Daleks, it wouldn't have been nearly as impactful as seeing it for the first time.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the River we see has to be pre-Library? Two key things we are yet to see are River finding out his name and the Doctor giving her the sonic screwdriver that 'saves' her at the Library. We must see these events.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the River we see has to be pre-Library? Two key things we are yet to see are River finding out his name and the Doctor giving her the sonic screwdriver that 'saves' her at the Library. We must see these events.
    Ah, but bearing in mind that River will need a new physical form to escape from the Library, who's to say the "Post-Library River" is played by Alex Kingston? Maybe this will be a "Two Rivers" episode?
  • BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Sorry if there is a thread on this already, but an article of Den of Geek has caught my scrupulous attention.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/25478/doctor-who-new-finale-picture-brings-series-7-full-circle

It says that the episode will have a "post library River." This throws up interesting questions on how she survived it, plus I always assumed we'd meet a pre library River as she knew the Doctor's name before.

The second, longer quote of the two, and episode synopsis, suggest that the theory I read on here in a different thread the other week was correct. I.e. that
    the Great Intelligence will try to erase the Doctor's timeline.
    It wasn't a theory I was a fan of though, as the explanation of who Clara was stunk:
    that she throws herself into the 'web' of the Doctor's timeline, saving his life at various points in history by dividing herself into different incarnations and dying many times over. Which will feel like such a cheat if Moffat really resorts to the anti-climactic 'she created her own timeline' explanation for the big mystery. There is no imagination in paradox cop-outs of that nature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, shit happens.

You come to a gossip site that talks about Who, at a time when spoilers are flying everywhere. You might miss the majority but occasionally one will slip through.

Unless the rest of us bow down and talk in code or post every single thing in tags then things will slip out.

Not being horrible, just a fact.

I'm not saying post everything in spoiler tags, I'm just saying post spoilers in spoiler tags, that is what they're there for. If this turns out to be mentioned in the trailer and not a big deal then fair enough but still, it seems to me that not posting spoilers in thread titles is not a difficult task that isn't really too much to ask. I know it does happen but that doesn't mean it should happen. You're right shit happens, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to stop shit happening.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    stshredder wrote: »
    But she is a human/timelady hybrid, she could live for hundreds or thousands of years.
    She stopped the universe and died out of love for the Doctor. I don't think she could or should just walk away from him

Not sure about that.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but we KNOW she started off as Melody Pond, regenerated into Mels then regenerated into River Song and gave her remaining regenerations to 11 so everything that River does between Let's Kill Hitler and Forest Of The Dead must happen in about, say, 10 years or so - assuming she doesn't make use of some kind of life-extending technology.

Must admit, I always wondered why River couldn't be recovered from the Library computer.
    I mean, everybody else had been "saved" for a year so it's not like they had freshly-deceased bodies lying around to be beamed back into.
    It seems like the Library was able to replicate a persons body from the saved data (somehow) so why not just do the same for River?

I suppose it might be that the data saved in River's sonic' wasn't enough to replicate a body but, if that was the case, you'd wonder why her "avatar" inside the Library computer was accurate.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Not sure about that.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but we KNOW she started off as Melody Pond, regenerated into Mels then regenerated into River Song and gave her remaining regenerations to 11 so everything that River does between Let's Kill Hitler and Forest Of The Dead must happen in about, say, 10 years or so - assuming she doesn't make use of some kind of life-extending technology.

Must admit, I always wondered why River couldn't be recovered from the Library computer.
    I mean, everybody else had been "saved" for a year so it's not like they had freshly-deceased bodies lying around to be beamed back into.
    It seems like the Library was able to replicate a persons body from the saved data (somehow) so why not just do the same for River?

I suppose it might be that the data saved in River's sonic' wasn't enough to replicate a body but, if that was the case, you'd wonder why her "avatar" inside the Library computer was accurate.

When we first see the River Incarnation she mentions about setting her body to slowly deage (to stop complaints about River in the Library looking younger then River in lets kill Hitler) so we have no idea how long River actually lives between LKH and the Library (not to mention the confusion over when she serves her sentence which starts in the 52nd Century but later parts are in the 51st Century).

As to her being put back into her body from the Library.

Those people who were put back into their bodies were ones who used the Teleport system so there is obviously enough data stored to rebuild their bodies (or else it's a disintegration chamber rather than a Teleport system).

River and her team however were just data ghosts, enough data to retain their personalities and their self image but not enough to create totally new bodies.

But yes it's unlikely that in all Time and Space the Doctor could not find some way (Flesh, Robot etc) to create a new body for River (and bodies for the other team members) to download into.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bored of her now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe_000 wrote: »
    Bored of her now.

Rude. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    Rude. :cool:

Hardly. Not like River can be personally offended.

It's a valid opinion. What started off as charming is now just every series. People talked about Rose (3 quick glimpses, 3 episodes and a cameo in TEOT with everyone else) but River has gone way past that now.

I like both but it is not so special any more.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Not bored of her at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a valid opinion. What started off as charming is now just every series. People talked about Rose (3 quick glimpses, 3 episodes and a cameo in TEOT with everyone else) but River has gone way past that now.

Comparing her to Rose? That is rude. :cool:
    She's only been in 1 episode out of the last 12 (and the next 2), Moffat is trying his best to appease the haters. What more do you want? River is still one of the reasons I watch. And she's only the Doctor's WIFE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rose was a full-time companion who came back. You missed out two whole series and a Christmas special.

River, however, has only ever made guest appearances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose was a full-time companion who came back. You missed out two whole series and a Christmas special.

River, however, has only ever made guest appearances.

THIS. :(

And Rose is the 50th too. :sleep:
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope we see the last of her after the finale. Just so annoys me with the smarmy talk and the spoilers phrase. Enough now please.
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Just read this on GB, might out people's minds at rest...
    Madame Vastra sets up this telepathic link thing to contact Clara across time at the beginning of the episode and she also contacts River Song who now just exists as a consciousness inside the library. River stays telepathically linked to Clara throughout the episode but is not physically there. When she is interacting with Clara no one else can see her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thought. We know River finds out the Doctor's name, but she can't find it out in this episode then, if she's post-library River so when does River find out his name? I always assumed it was at Trenzalore so maybe there are two Rivers present?!