Options

If someone you like is in a relationship, is it wrong......

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
....to hope it fails.......then you can make a move?

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »

Not particularly - unless one of them is a friend or relation.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Wishing bad on someone is wrong IMO
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I suppose that's better than knowing they're in a relationship and acting on your feelings anyway...
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

Been in that position before and it isn't easy. The girl was going out with one of my best mates and to make matters worse he would sometimes ask me for advice, stuff like what should I get her for her birthday, should I treat her to this et cetera. Sadly I got the massive urge to be a complete dick and ruin this for him, give advice that I knew would backfire but ultimately I did the right thing. I believe if things are meant to be then they will be. And as it turns out that wasn't meant to be.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

If it's someone you care about you should hope for their happyness even if that means they are never with you.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say it's more selfish than wrong.
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is her partner a friend of yours? If not, then just make a move anyway. You have nothing to lose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Hope' is all in the mind isn't it and so long as it just stays there what harm does it do?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    'Hope' is all in the mind isn't it and so long as it just stays there what harm does it do?

Yeah I totally agree. Acting on it would be wrong. Thinking about it? Totally fine.

We can have whatever thoughts we like in our own brains and nobody can do a damn thing about it.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how much you want and love them.

And if they feel the same way as you.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not very nice.

If you really care for this person, try being happy for them.
  • Options
    Monkey TennisMonkey Tennis Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with hope my friend.

Having said that... Don't get me started on Faith... or Charity for that matter. (god-damn those chuggers..!).
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope's harmless.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    pugamo wrote: »
    Yeah I totally agree. Acting on it would be wrong. Thinking about it? Totally fine.

We can have whatever thoughts we like in our own brains and nobody can do a damn thing about it.

Agree with these. If you keep the secret wish that they'd split a casual, lighthearted notion there's no harm.

If it's an intense obsession which makes you involuntarily growl at them, and crush whatever is in your hand, it's a little odd.

I mean, I hope Jason Segal should decide that N. Irish weather suits his complexion more than LA sunshine, happens upon me in the bread aisle in the petrol station, becomes besotted and vows to spend the rest of his days doing all manner of filthy things to me.

And I hope my husband understands and accepts that it is OK to love one but have a desire to ride the other like a rodeo.

Hoping can be fun! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's someone you care about you should hope for their happyness even if that means they are never with you.

I have never really spoken toi her, its a girl at work that is really nice, I asked someone about her, and she is in a relationship,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just so hard to find someone........age, personality, interests, syle etc,etc. Then when you do..........she is already taken.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I have never really spoken toi her, its a girl at work that is really nice, I asked someone about her, and she is in a relationship,
    If you get to know her better, you may find out she's not your type after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have just moved into an open plan office, and we share the office.

Her hair, looks, her clothes, smell, just the way she is, she is just perfect, ....but someone elkse gets to wake up with her.........

Die you [email]basty@rd...............lol[/email] :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get to know her better, you may find out she's not your type after all.

Trust me , she is.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Her hair, looks, her clothes, smell, just the way she is, she is just perfect, ....but someone elkse gets to wake up with her.........

......really?

That's a bit creepy tbh.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Trust me , she is.
    You haven't spoken to her, for God's sake, you don't know her personality at all. You're infatuated by her looks. She could be a hideous racist homophobic bigot with a crush on Jeremy Clarkson.

I'm a bit concerned about how you know she smells nice - do you sneak up behind her and sniff her hair?

Anyway, office romances aren't the best idea - and some companies frown on inter-office relationships.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trust me , she is.

Are you hers though?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try not to worry about it! I worked with someone who I was quietly in love with for a while...was one of those moments when it hits you that you could actually spend the rest of your life talking to, being with, living with this person and things would be blummin awesome. Alas 'hoping' for anything was kind of futile seeing as I soon discovered she preferred women! :kitty: I'm not saying if she wasn't gay that would have happened but it would have been slightly more possible right? :p

The main thing is to get on with your life and try and make friends with this person, if it doesn't hurt too much. At least they will be in your life then!
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    ......really?

That's a bit creepy tbh.

I think it's quite sweet actually...as long as there's no actual sniffing...

It's a shame you rarely meet people you're interested in, Paul. Don't give up. There'll be someone else at some point I'm sure. Fingers crossed that one won't be taken. :D

If you work together just enjoy getting to know her as a friend. You never know, one day it *might* lead to more. Just don't be the creepy guy who hangs everything on that hope. If she finds herself single in the future, Nice Paul From Work Who I Get On With could be an option; Crazy Staring Paul Who Smells My Hair will not be an option. ;-) :p
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Getting someone on the rebound can be fraught with trouble!