Pages from Ceefax

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody else still enjoy this? I find it relaxing if I can't sleep with the background music and it's good to still see the retro text on digital tv.

Comments

• davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy this too, it's a pity you can't Sky+ it for some reason, unless you do a manual recording.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. Sky epg background music is very low quality (consistent with Sky's general approach to content).
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    going to miss it when ceefax is completley finished in 2012 and replaced by pages from red button :yawn:
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have recorded a dvd full to keep from an overnight BBC transmission. I will watch it again in 30 years time(!)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Yeah. Sky epg background music is very low quality (consistent with Sky's general approach to content).

:D:D:p
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many will recall the Test Card and the accompanying music. They had different genres of music on certain days during the week so they catered for most tastes. It's sad, but on reflection that on my screen, would be a better alternative to what programmes are shown at some times in the day.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    going to miss it when ceefax is completley finished in 2012 and replaced by pages from red button :yawn:

They will probably go for slides/web style pages like ITV Nightscreen.
    Forum Member
    dont get ITV nightscreen in scotland we get a late night live chat show
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will probably go for slides/web style pages like ITV Nightscreen.

Perhaps BBC ALBA (what it does when it is offair) is the model for what BBC One/Two might do in 2012.
    Forum Member
    Many will recall the Test Card and the accompanying music. They had different genres of music on certain days during the week so they catered for most tastes. It's sad, but on reflection that on my screen, would be a better alternative to what programmes are shown at some times in the day.

Probably better than half of ITV's output :p
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody else still enjoy this? I find it relaxing if I can't sleep with the background music and it's good to still see the retro text on digital tv.

i am suprised they are still using this,also noticed BBC HD using the original BBC test card but playing notes ,interesting:)
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There may still not be programmes filling in the space vacated by Ceefax closing down. Hope BBC2 still close down in 2012.

A full 24/7/365 all programmes on BBC2 would be very disappointing.

A shame the BBC ever thought of a full daytime programme schedule on both BBC's 1 and 2 in the first place in the mid 1980's. When there was just News Afternoon and Pebble Mill at One on BBC1 during the day other than Schools programmes in term time, with the rest the day filled by Test Card and Pages frorn Ceefax accompanied by music, things were so much better.

Full BBC2 programming starting at 7.30pm and closing about midnight was classic.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    There may still not be programmes filling in the space vacated by Ceefax closing down. Hope BBC2 still close down in 2012.

A shame the BBC ever thought of a full daytime programme schedule on both BBC's 1 and 2 in the first place in the mid 1980's. When there was just News Afternoon and Pebble Mill at One on BBC1 during the day other than Schools programmes in term time, with the rest the day filled by Test Card and Pages frorn Ceefax accompanied by music, things were so much better.

Full BBC2 programming starting at 7.30pm and closing about midnight was classic.

yes recall it well:)
    Forum Member
    dont get ITV nightscreen in scotland we get a late night live chat show

We get something similar on UTV here as well.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    It was a nice feeling to know that you we're missing anything apart from the testcard :)
    Forum Member
    why do people wnat no programming at nights or daytime that would be so boring if you do not want to watch tv then switch it off :sleep:
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once Ceefax ends i can see BBC Two having a similiar thing to this

NRK has been doing it for years now :)
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    No, they won't. They haven't had a clock since 2001 when the yellow idents were introduced. They're not about to bring it back. An ITV Nightscreen style service is most likely.
    Forum Member
    why do people wnat no programming at nights or daytime that would be so boring if you do not want to watch tv then switch it off :sleep:

I don't know but usually when I can't sleep and go and watch telly I watch CNBC or Sky News or just channel surf.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »

Classic maybe, but better?? I'm all for nostalgia but I cannot see why Pages from Ceefax or a test card could be better than actual programming. What about people who are awake at these hours, why should they be forced to watch filler content? I'm all for nostalgia and all, but to suggest that having these things is "better" is odd to say the least.
  • banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that they will show something similar to what they already use over on BBC Alba whilst the channel isn't showing programming. Will the library music continue ? Or will it be in silence ? Give it another 12/18 months and we will find out when Ceefax bows out forever :(
    Forum Member
    I believe that they will show something similar to what they already use over on BBC Alba whilst the channel isn't showing programming. Will the library music continue ? Or will it be in silence ? Give it another 12/18 months and we will find out when Ceefax bows out forever :(

What do they use on BBC Alba?
  • banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't seem to get any pics or video of it.
    Forum Member
    lnp wrote: »

Interesting. Off-topic but Scottish Gaelic seems quite similar to Irish apart from a few spelling variations.