LG Optimus 2X

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The LG Optimus 2X is the world's first dual core smartphone, which is set to be released in Europe next month.

I am due for an upgrade on the 19th Jan and have no experience of LG smartphones. The specs of the Optimus 2X look impressive (imo) and most reviews about this particular handset have been positive. What are your thoughts on this handset.?

The only downside I can see of this handset is there is no Java but as I am not a game player, this wouldn't bother me.

I am considering making this my next phone.

http://www.esato.com/phones/LG-Optimus+2X+P990-733

Comments

• moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based on no concrete evidence whatsoever, the fact that
    a) it's LG
    b) it's dual core
    would concern me on battery life
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine it uses less power.
    It might be 750Mhz with one core turned off by default.(Two cores at 750MHz supposedly equals a 1.88 Ghz A8)

Also for 720p video its GPU could use very little power being 1080p capable.

This is very much the chipset that all thr pundits thought the iPad had.
    Samsungs strange move to Tegra 2 for tablets might just mean iPad 2 will use it too.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LG Optimus 2X is the world's first dual core smartphone, which is set to be released in Europe next month.

I am due for an upgrade on the 19th Jan and have no experience of LG smartphones. The specs of the Optimus 2X look impressive (imo) and most reviews about this particular handset have been positive. What are your thoughts on this handset.?

The only downside I can see of this handset is there is no Java but as I am not a game player, this wouldn't bother me.

I am considering making this my next phone.

http://www.esato.com/phones/LG-Optimus+2X+P990-733

Its android so thats a meaningless spec. This phone will run any of the android apps, including games
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, interesting. Am looking to upgrade HTC Desire in the new year, and was considering going for Nexus S but may well wait for more details on this one - looks quite neat. Can anyone with an LG Android phone vouch for what the LG "skin" is like - the main attraction of the Nexus S for me is stock Android, but the HTC Sense overlay is pretty good on HTC phones. Does LG compare?
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    I really dislike the LG layout.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I would rather a Google Nexus S over this as it will receive OS updates far faster.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Personally I would rather a Google Nexus S over this as it will receive OS updates far faster.

Nexus S seems very outdated already compared to the dual core LG. Also, the hardware is based on the Galaxy S and I have read thousands of complaints about the GPS functionality of that handset being utter pants.
  • beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had an LG viewty and an LG optimus GT540 and both are very good phones. LG always come up on top with specs, but make sure the build quality is good. The GT540 is reasonable, but not great, whereas the Viewty was excellent build quality, but rather bulky. With LG you will definitely get value for money though, but be prepared to compromise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GT540 is a great value phone and I do suspect that LG needs a headline 'number one phone' to sell at premium.
    Quality is a certainly perception thing which is why the lower tech(screen) Wildfire is well rated.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    The Optimus One has only just come on sale? Anyone like to comment on that one too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds an improved GT540 with a capacitive screen and improved case. The interface is no doubt still good too if bought from Carphone Warehouse.
    I'm not quite sure if buying from the mobile company direct puts on loads of extra crapware.
  • W99W99 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Very impressed by the specs on this phone. Probably my next purchase.

However, I've never owned an LG so have no experience of the camera quality. Anyone care to comment?
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have only owned one LG phone and I hated it - the LG Viewty. The software was clunky and slow, the touchscreen was crap and the camera was abysmal.

However, I'm thinking things will have changed as now they use Android instead of their own dodgy software and the phones are a lot better hardware wise. I'm just not too sure about the skin they've applied to Android - it looks rather childish like Samsung]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't be worse than the samsung galaxy s. That was shite
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaos77 wrote: »

No. The Optimus 2X was codenamed LG Star. The LG B is a complete different handset. So say's this article.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2010/12/17/LG-B-Is-Real-And-Very-Good-Looking/p1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have recently purchased the LG-P500 Optimus one and really like it. It came with a 1500mAh battery but even with this (larger than most other handsets standard battery, I haven't seen it get more than a day and a half out of a charge - maybe that's because I'm still in the '/new phone and want to constantly play with it' stage - I'm hopeful of the battery lasting at least 2 days once I settle down with it (if you know what I mean) Compare that to the last time I bought LG (Cookie) and said I would never EVER have LG nor touchscreen again!
  • chaos77chaos77 Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. The Optimus 2X was codenamed LG Star. The LG B is a complete different handset. So say's this article.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2010/12/17/LG-B-Is-Real-And-Very-Good-Looking/p1

Hmm, even more choice then. both are impressive!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluechang wrote: »
    I have recently purchased the LG-P500 Optimus one and really like it. It came with a 1500mAh battery but even with this (larger than most other handsets standard battery, I haven't seen it get more than a day and a half out of a charge - maybe that's because I'm still in the '/new phone and want to constantly play with it' stage - I'm hopeful of the battery lasting at least 2 days once I settle down with it (if you know what I mean) Compare that to the last time I bought LG (Cookie) and said I would never EVER have LG nor touchscreen again!

Lg's are value for money
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LG Optimus 2X according to Expansys will be available from Monday 21st February. Selling for an almighty £499.99! So who's getting one? Lol.

http://www.expansys.com/lg-optimus-2x-207496/
  • W99W99 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Looks like the Optimus 2x is available now in South Korea:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/23/lg-optimus-2x-goes-on-sale-in-korea-teases-white-version-for-fe/

Can't wait for this to arrive in the UK in March!
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the OP said the 'first' dual core smartphon. There will be others. When my contract ends in October I expect to have a hard time making my mind up as to which Android device to get. I look forward to it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A first full review

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_2x-review-564.php
    "pure calculating prowess of the Optimus 2X"
    "near netbook speed"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    I've never heard anything good from anyone who owns an LG phone. I'd wait for the Motorola Atrix, the Galaxy S II or whatever dual-core phone HTC finally decides to announce (Desire HD 2 perhaps? Or Desire 2, or Desire HD S, or whatever crazy naming convention they're going on these days).