Options

Did you prefere going to school or being in employment?

Mario and LuigiMario and Luigi Posts: 73
Forum Member
Are school days really the best days of our lives?

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

I prefer being an adult, although I'm self-employed. Couldn't work for somebody else again.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    School for me was fine - University was where the misery was untold.

Employment has been good to me, it has to be said - but nothing can ever replace the carefree and lively school days. I appreciate people who spent their school lunchtimes getting their heads flushed down the toilet may not agree.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I certainly enjoyed my school days, so far my adult life has been pretty shit, and I'm only 24.

Pretty much from when I left school I have been unhappy, but I don't complain, just get on with it.
  • Options
    ParashootistParashootist Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    School is a drudge and you aren't aware of the reward other than what you are told that which is in your best interest. With employment, you know what you are getting (or not getting, more to the point)
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    School is a drudge and you aren't aware of the reward other than what you are told that which is in your best interest. With employment, you know what you are getting (or not getting, more to the point)

Did you get hit with any balls in your school days?
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Did you get hit with any balls in your school days?
    You reminded me of the glorious schoolday where I hoofed one of those cheap floaty footballs with all my might, it flew far and curled approximately 90 degrees, and smacked some kid right in the ear. His screams of agony were rivalled only by my bellows of laughter.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate my job but at least I'm paid to be there.

School was hell, definitely the worst time of my life, and because I hated it so much, I also stressed my parents out each and every day by refusing to get out of bed, coming home whenever I wanted to, worrying about me walking the streets all day when they'd get a phone call telling them I haven't turned up, me kicking up a fuss every night about having to go in the next day and begging them to let me stay off, letters threatening court because my attendance was so low, teachers on their case because of my crap/non-existent work in lessons.

The "education" just wasn't worth it, and it's done more harm than good to me mentally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Employment! more satisfaction. school always seemed a waste of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reserved wrote: »
    Hate my job but at least I'm paid to be there.

School was hell, definitely the worst time of my life, and because I hated it so much, I also stressed my parents out each and every day by refusing to get out of bed, coming home whenever I wanted to, worrying about me walking the streets all day when they'd get a phone call telling them I haven't turned up, me kicking up a fuss every night about having to go in the next day and begging them to let me stay off, letters threatening court because my attendance was so low, teachers on their case because of my crap/non-existent work in lessons.

The "education" just wasn't worth it, and it's done more harm than good to me mentally.

You must find it hard to work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must find it hard to work?

Why do you say that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do you say that?

Your attitude (not using that word in a bad attitude context) towards school was to not go and be late etc, then do you not find it hard holding down a full time, long term job?
  • Options
    ParashootistParashootist Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    You reminded me of the glorious schoolday where I hoofed one of those cheap floaty footballs with all my might, it flew far and curled approximately 90 degrees, and smacked some kid right in the ear. His screams of agony were rivalled only by my bellows of laughter.

So you hoofed this ball, right, a word that would more aptly be applied to something like kicking a medicine ball, and it smacked some kid right in the ear. And this kid was screaming in agony from being hit by a cheap floaty ball, a reaction more likely caused by being hit by a medicine ball. Umm, yeah...right. What ever you say, chum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your attitude (not using that word in a bad attitude context) towards school was to not go and be late etc, then do you not find it hard holding down a full time, long term job?

No, my attendance at work is fine :)

I just hated the environment of secondary school. I loved primary school and was practically dragging my parents out the door every morning, but couldn't handle secondary school. I hated it and I still don't understand why my parents forced me to go every morning after some of my desperate actions to get out of it. I guess they never really knew what else they could do, though. Think we hurt each other through those five years.

Family life was amazing but as soon as school was the topic of discussion all hell broke loose!
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss college rather than school. Couldn't go back though... Earning my own money and becoming independent is an amazing feeling.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My time in primary school was largely happy - small classes, mostly likeable other children, mostly likeable teachers, old-fashioned standards of behaviour and a good work ethic were expected.

Secondary school was often horrible. A lot of lousy teachers, children who joined from other primary schools who didn't have the same standards installed in them. Classroom discipline was a very real problem throughout my secondary schooling. Bullying was also a very serious issue. Meanwhile, I found the curriculum a drudge, and although I was fairly successful in my GCSEs, there was a lot of irrelevant rubbish taught that has been of zero use to me in the years since and most of which was quickly forgotten.

Sixth form college was a largely happy two years of my 'working' life (though far from perfect). I took four subjects I enjoy, small classes, (mostly) good teachers, nice people, free periods, even a smoking shelter! (this was in the early 2000s, I wonder whether it's still there?) Academically, this was probably when I was at my happiest, and I excelled in the subjects I studied, despite my attendance record not being brilliant.

Looking back, I'm not sure I was really cut out for university. Yes, I succeeded insofar as I got a 2:1 degree, but I don't think I was ever that 'happy' there. My uni's organisational side was poor, the halls were oversubscribed so I had to go into private halls. As a result, I wasn't made aware of 'fresher's week' so arrived just a few days before my course started. I was also still not fully recovered from an operation I had earlier that summer so going out partying every night would've been difficult anyway. I never really 'fitted in'. I enjoy the odd night out even now but I couldn't be part of a culture where people were out boozing three or four nights a week. Lack of privacy was also a very real issue. I wasn't used to that setup.

I think university, or more specifically, living away at home for university, only really suits a certain type of person.

My professional life so far has been a bit of a drudge insofar as finding regular, well-paid, steady work goes, but I pay my way and broadly enjoy the work I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, my attendance at work is fine :)

I just hated the environment of secondary school. I loved primary school and was practically dragging my parents out the door every morning, but couldn't handle secondary school. I hated it and I still don't understand why my parents forced me to go every morning after some of my desperate actions to get out of it. I guess they never really knew what else they could do, though. Think we hurt each other through those five years.

Family life was amazing but as soon as school was the topic of discussion all hell broke loose!

It just goes to show, glad it all worked out for you.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are advantages and disadvantages to each. If I could get paid the same for going to university as doing my job, I'd probably stay in school forever. But not only doesn't it pay, it's very costly, so not a fair comparison. If I had unlimited resources and leisure time, I'd go back and take some courses in subjects that interest me, though not a full course load.

There were regularly times at school that were more stressful than anything I ever face at work. The deadlines at school tend to be far more rigid, and there is less day to day accountability which can get you into trouble if you're a procrastinator. At work you're generally expected to show up and make a steady amount of progress on long term projects and set milestones from week to week. At school you may get a large project weeks in advance with nobody but yourself to keep you from waiting until the night before to start it.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I prefer working from home, I hated school with a passion and because of my disability I'll never be able to work out of the house again
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Both suck for different reasons.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I felt secure at school. The day I left school I felt very insecure
  • Options
    Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    School was fantastic and once I completed 2nd year and could ditch French and RE, that were a total waste of my time, it was nigh on perfect.

Also, step out of line and you got the belt.....should still be that way now.

Nothing wrong with my working life either.
  • Options
    The Green ManThe Green Man Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I liked going to school, but I get paid damn good money to go to work. I got paid sweet-FA to go to school.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I would have enjoyed school more had I thought I was being taught anything of note. The education system doesn't really teach young people how to be an adult. How to manage finances, mortgages, relationships, jobs. It is all rather pointless when you think of all those hours wasted learning about things that you won't ever remember again. The best parts of school were hanging around with my mates or gazing out of the window on a sunny day, watching the world go by whilst you're sat in a pointless, uncomfortable chair in an uncomfortable uniform.

I didn't enjoy work until I started working for myself. Long hours, a struggle at first, but eventually you are rewarded financially and are proud of what you've achieved. I might not be rich, but I am much happier working for myself than some manager who doesn't know his arse from his elbow.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are school days really the best days of our lives?

No they aren't!.....
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't wait to go to work...

God how i wish i was back at school!
This discussion has been closed.