Now TV worth the cost?

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i used Now TV on my Ps3 when it first started, but was not impressed, but I have heard that the now Tv box does a better job. My main use for Now Tv is the entertainment pack and the Discovery stuff, may be Nat Geo if that is on it.

at work they have got the box, with 4 months entertainment for £24.99, My discount willl knock it down by just over a couple of quid.

Would it be worth me buying? I would not be watching the live stuff, because of the lack of my Tv licence.

thanks.

Comments

• muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i used Now TV on my Ps3 when it first started, but was not impressed, but I have heard that the now Tv box does a better job. My main use for Now Tv is the entertainment pack and the Discovery stuff, may be Nat Geo if that is on it.

at work they have got the box, with 4 months entertainment for £24.99, My discount willl knock it down by just over a couple of quid.

Would it be worth me buying? I would not be watching the live stuff, because of the lack of my Tv licence.

thanks.
    The Now TV box is excellent value I'd say its well worth the money , Discovery is available however Nat Geo isn't currently.
  • Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £25? Not worth it for a NowTV box considering they're available for a tenner in most places. If you wanted one of those things, save a bit longer and get a Roku 2 or streaming stick for £40-60 or so and put the NowTV app on there. You'll also get over 500 other services whereas the Sky crippled Roku 2400SK (AKA Now TV box) only has around 15 or so!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr.Phlox wrote: »
    £25? Not worth it for a NowTV box considering they're available for a tenner in most places. If you wanted one of those things, save a bit longer and get a Roku 2 or streaming stick for £40-60 or so and put the NowTV app on there. You'll also get over 500 other services whereas the Sky crippled Roku 2400SK (AKA Now TV box) only has around 15 or so!
    Its not £25 for the Now TV box , the £25 gets him the Now TV box and has 4 months access to the Entertainment pass included.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nowtv box is certainly value for money especially if you side load plex onto it it becomes a great media streamer.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Mine was worth it because I bought it for £35 with the Sky Sports bundle. That's 5 day passes (usually £9.99 a day). I only really had Sky Sports for F1, and my five free passes will cover the rest of the seasons Sky-exclusive races, so I've cancelled my Sky Sports sub on VM, saving me about £25 a month. So for sports alone, it's saving me the best part of £200 this year.

I also like having access to Sky Store as well - I like the flexibility NowTV gives me.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £20 fro the box from Argos at present with 6 months entertainment pack included.

Giving this a go for a few months as we are leaving Sky on Friday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest updates to the Now TV box and Roku boxes are very welcome as well

BBC Sport added
    ITV Player added
    The Now TV app now offers a choice of movies similar to the one you've chose and navigating episodes and series in the app got a little easier.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    The latest updates to the Now TV box and Roku boxes are very welcome as well
    The latest update has messed-up Plex, though.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    The latest update has messed-up Plex, though.

I'm using rarplex and it's working perfectly after the update.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Mine was worth it because I bought it for £35 with the Sky Sports bundle. That's 5 day passes (usually £9.99 a day). I only really had Sky Sports for F1, and my five free passes will cover the rest of the seasons Sky-exclusive races, so I've cancelled my Sky Sports sub on VM, saving me about £25 a month. So for sports alone, it's saving me the best part of £200 this year.

I also like having access to Sky Store as well - I like the flexibility NowTV gives me.
    Agree with a lot of what you say. I have the box too and am a great fan. However, I do find Sky Store generally more expensive than its competitors these days.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    £20 fro the box from Argos at present with 6 months entertainment pack included.

Giving this a go for a few months as we are leaving Sky on Friday.

The only one i seen at Argos with 6 months entertainment is for £35, £24 will get 4 months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers, i decided to get one after, but got the 6 month entertainment pack from Argos instead, I remembered a mate of mine had one, so I asked him.
    I had a muck around with last night and watched a couple of things, it works fine. i even popped in to see another mate of mine on the way home from town after buying it and we tried it out there. He was impressed, and he said it was worth buying the box alone, which is a tenner just to be able to watch BBC Iplayer without any problems. His BBC iplayer on his smart Tv plays up.

It surprised me how well it worked because his Wi-fi is naff, silly plusnet router.

anyway back home I am pretty impressed with it and shocked how small it is is.

I watched Mythbusters,, a newer series than what is on netflix.

It gives me that little bit more choice and if after 6 months I decide it is not for me, I have not lost a lot.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr.Phlox wrote: »

Your claim of 500 services which are available on the Roku is correct, but you have to admit only a very small minority of users will use them all, as a high percentage of them are complete rubbish.

I have 2 Roku's using a US Roku account, of which I can have 3 times the amount of content on mine, but I only use about 4 of the services on a regular basis, as again most of the stuff on there is of either no interest or is rubbish.

It's the same for other Smart devices, usually there are only a small handful of useful services, and the rest most likely go unused by owners.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only one i seen at Argos with 6 months entertainment is for £35, £24 will get 4 months.

It was £20 last week, I picked one up for that price then.
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far better value than the Chromecast Dongle which is very limited as far as mainstream Apps and content is concerned.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got one from Argos with the Sky movies for 5months.

I intend to not use the voucher for movies till around Xmas, when they might have some big movies, and also the Oscars in March, and usually get to see many of the nominated movies around then.

I also got the entertainment pass for £2/ month for two months (was a member previously, they often send out cheap offers to old subscribers, pretty good, so long as you cancel in time). So currently watching 24 Live Another Day, on catchup (missing the first six episodes now,) good fun, didn't know Stephen Fry was the PM in it till I started watching. Also will probably watch Hannibal, has the first two series up to watch.

One other plus for folk is that once you have your NOWtv account signed up, you can use it on four devices, (two active at a time) so for example you can watch it on your now box, and someone else can have it on another device (ie my dad uses my Now account on his iPad, living ten miles away).

On the whole, it's a good service, but not really worth it at normal price. The special offers make it worth while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    It was £20 last week, I picked one up for that price then.

Typical for me to miss that :) But then i was not even thinking of getting one then.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    I'm using rarplex and it's working perfectly after the update.
    I think I might give that a try.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical for me to miss that :) But then i was not even thinking of getting one then.

Buy direct from nowtv website for only £10.

Also re. earlier posts, PLEX works fine on mine after latest updates. Recommend you install iplayer as a plex channel - no ads!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Buy direct from nowtv website for only £10.

Also re. earlier posts, PLEX works fine on mine after latest updates. Recommend you install iplayer as a plex channel - no ads!

Far too late now, already got one, still got a entertainment pass until December i think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The NowTV iPlayer has ads? That's pretty low, even from Sky if it's true. Anyway, I thought the BBC had a mission for platform neutrality, i.e. the same experience on all devices? I don't see ads on my XBox iPlayer or my Panasonic TV.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry... What are you really talking about? The BBC doesn't have ads on the Now TV platform, and even if the Now TV platform inundated itself with ads (which it doesn't), this has nothing to do with the BBC.
  • cuttysarkcuttysark Posts: 1,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    The NowTV iPlayer has ads? That's pretty low, even from Sky if it's true. Anyway, I thought the BBC had a mission for platform neutrality, i.e. the same experience on all devices? I don't see ads on my XBox iPlayer or my Panasonic TV.

I think they meant ITV player, the plex version skips the ads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Box is now £12.50 at argos with 4 months entertainment pass. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1588222.htm