in praise of 2003

13»

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since deciding my favourite songs from the previous 10 years last Easter and my favourite "2nd favourite" songs this Easter, 2013 was for me the best year since at least 2005. So yes, I might still like these songs in 2023! :) As it is, I probably retired from charts of favourite new songs at the end of 2013. I do like occasional contemporary songs, like Taylor Swift's Shake It Off and Ella Henderson.

hmmm.... theres precious little in mainstream today that ill like in ten years, . to me, since 05 its been pretty dull, with generic, uninspiring tracks littering the charts. amongst the dross though has been some absolute gems. not enough though to make recent years classic eras and they wont trouble the top half of my fav year lists. but they might just keep these years off the very bottom slots..
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since deciding my favourite songs from the previous 10 years last Easter and my favourite "2nd favourite" songs this Easter, 2013 was for me the best year since at least 2005. So yes, I might still like these songs in 2023! :) As it is, I probably retired from charts of favourite new songs at the end of 2013. I do like occasional contemporary songs, like Taylor Swift's Shake It Off and Ella Henderson.

ah another taylor swift fan! welcome aboard, and generally I was at college in 2003 and listened to music from that time period a lot, and I have already touched on my favourite song from that year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, yes im still here:)

My two worse eras were 89-93 and 74-77, and my worst year was 1990..

However the excercise i did to determine best/worst years was done in 07 so doesnt include years 06 onwards 06-08 were poor imho so would probably be in the mix at the bottom.

This is all of course a personal pov.

yes I would like to see what everyone's worst year for music was?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Muse - Absolution came out in this year too, with awesome singles like Time Is Running Out and Hysteria :D
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes I would like to see what everyone's worst year for music was?

Well i compiled a list of every new chart entry plus other single releases i knew of for each year from 1960-2005 and marked each track out of a hundred. Thats how i compiled my list so it gave a reasonably accurate reletive picture.

It was interesting because it blew a few supposed pov. The punk era didnt fare as strongly as id imagined, the early naughties fared much better, esp 2003.

I suppose that unless others did a similar excercise then they might be just guessing a year which might not actually be accurate, like mine wasnt.

You could always start a thread asking that question.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    1985, 1992 and 2005 are all respectively my least favourite years of those decades, here's what I wrote on another forum about them:
    1985 is the weakest year of that decade for me. You've got the synthpop brilliance of 1981-82 and a lot of 1983, and everything from 1987 onwards is golden all the way through, but looking at the biggest-sellers of '85 there's less there than any other years - it seems to be a lot of rock ballads and Band Aid bandwagon-jumping charity singles. To be fair, Jennifer Rush's 'The Power Of Love' is one of the best power ballads EVER MADE and you've also got You Spin Me Round, There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) and a bit of a guilty pleasure with Baltimora's 'Tarzan Boy', but otherwise little I've heard from '85 interests me and this is from someone who, while not born at the time, did catch the repeat of that year's Christmas Top of the Pops when Channel 5 showed it a few years back. 1986 isn't the best either but it has the Pet Shop Boys, Erasure and New Order's 'Bizarre Love Triangle' as strong foundations.

Next is 1992. Again there are some good songs up there with the best of the 90s - 'Stay', 'Out of Space', and the ahead-of-its-time dance pounder that is Fellix's 'Don't You Want Me'. Otherwise it's dull ballads, a ton of old re-issued songs and the year rave music, having absolutely owned the second half of 1991, turned into something of a joke with the likes of Sesame Street, Tetris and Super Mario cash-ins. I suppose there's still Acen's Trip II The Moon, Praga Khan's Injected With A Poison etc, but there's more classics in late 1991 than there is for the whole of '92. 1993 isn't massively better but there's a ton of good Eurodance, the album 'Very' by the PSBs and the (extremely) early stirrings of Britpop.

For the noughties, 2005. I would have said 2004 for a while but that's just looking at the number #1s, otherwise some of the best tracks of the decade can be found lower down the 2004 charts. Not so much for 2005 which saw a stale pop scene past its sell-by-date, the worst dance music's probably ever been in its loop-a-sample-for-three-minutes phase, leaving some admittedly brilliant indie-rock but even that's not as good as the two years either side. Oh, and the Crazy Frog. Barely anything released in 2005 I would say was among the best of the noughties, maybe Erasure's 'Breathe' and the whole of Pendulum's 'Hold Your Colour' album. 2006 is better, 2007 not quite as much but there's some great stuff at the end of that year.

Unfortunately I don't know enough pre-1980 to form an opinion of years or decades prior!
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow thanks to the poster who reminded me of Plummet's Damaged, I remember having the really slow version and it used to make me really sad! I was 17 in 2003, the music gives me great memories of getting in the railway pub with a scanned copy of my passport and the year changed! :D
  • DigitalPunkDigitalPunk Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I remember the amazing Siobhan Donaghy releasing 'Overrated' in 2003 top song !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgqyBnum5wU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i compiled a list of every new chart entry plus other single releases i knew of for each year from 1960-2005 and marked each track out of a hundred. Thats how i compiled my list so it gave a reasonably accurate reletive picture.

It was interesting because it blew a few supposed pov. The punk era didnt fare as strongly as id imagined, the early naughties fared much better, esp 2003.

I suppose that unless others did a similar excercise then they might be just guessing a year which might not actually be accurate, like mine wasnt.

You could always start a thread asking that question.

well why don't we all start a thread and we can contribute separately