oscars.boring.

2»

Comments

• tennismantennisman Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Why do they give footballers medals for winning more gmes than the other teams? and the club a trophy?

An interesting question but sport and especially professional sport is framed in a competitive environment and has always had a trophy / medals for winning.

The film world is art isn't it?

Since when has the whole visualisation, creation and appreciation of art been framed in a competitive model?

I don't watch award ceremonies as I find them toe-curlingly self indulgent (Ben Aflek wailing about his wife and marriage - get over yourself) and packaged and predictable to the extreme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We watch to see the gowns (the pre show is probably as popular as the Oscar show), to see some performances that you will rarely if ever see "live," like Babs and Shirley, and to see some stars looking a bit shaky (Renee Zelwigger.) Then there are major stars we havent seen for a while like Jack Nicholson. That's always fun. And I want to see what look Clooney is sporting this week.

Where else can you see a goddess like Charlize Theron in a Dior gown standing next to Dustin Hoffman?

I agree the show is meant to support the Hollywood film industry, and if some films from other countries are neglected in favor of promoting the Hollywood stars, what's to prevent other countries from doing a show?

Seth was funny, but he went on too long and his lines were more appropriate for an SNL skit than for the Oscars.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    An interesting question but sport and especially professional sport is framed in a competitive environment and has always had a trophy / medals for winning.

Since when has the whole visualisation, creation and appreciation of art been framed in a competitive model?

I don't watch award ceremonies as I find them toe-curlingly self indulgent (Ben Aflek wailing about his wife and marriage - get over yourself) and packaged and predictable to the extreme.
    Booker prize, Turner prize, Brits, Classical Brits, Mobos, Grammys, Ivor Novello....
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »

You think art can't be competitive? Are you any kind of artist yourself?

It's not entirely based in "winning" but awarding the best of the best has gone on for a very long time.

Even without awards and trophies they compete to get the most album sales, box office sales, compete to get a project greenlit, funded etc etc. Of course it's competitive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone heard of "The Booker Prize?"

Pulitzer, Nobel, you can go on and on.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find all of these Awards Ceremonies tedious and false.

They get far too much coverage from the lazy media - especially when it comes down to the 'dress spotting' at The Oscars after yawnfest parties.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I tuned in just before 1:30. Unfortunately I still caught some of the innane questioning.

I think my worst phase in the world now is "Who are you wearing?"

FFS :mad:
  • TuvokTuvok Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tuned in just before 1:30. Unfortunately I still caught some of the innane questioning.

It would be brilliant if somebody said "I bought a pattern and material and made it myself"
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will put a word in for the Oscars, since nobody else is. I am sure for the studios it is just money and a pointer about to whom is given the next contract. And for fashion houses of course.

But to many of the people in the creative side of the business, writers, actors, composers, technicians, I am sure that they like very much to be recognised for their artistic contribution. I genuiniely believe that Tarantino prefers recognition for his writing talent more than just getting money. He also wants to look back on his body of work and be proud of it, not merely have lots of money for his old age.
    And actors want to work and be seen and have their work admired, and it is not primarily for money. Any actor who thinks they are in it for money is crackers because there are many thousands who aspire to get big parts, and hardly any do.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loonattic wrote: »
    yes,cancel it.

I think the BAFTA's should be cancelled.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member

The questions usually have to be inane. The interviewers tend to only have the actor or actress for 30 seconds at most. A deeper question and answer segment would take too long. Plus, the interviewers know that the stars are at the awards show basically to show off their dresses and enjoy the night, not analysis of their films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I will put a word in for the Oscars, since nobody else is. I am sure for the studios it is just money and a pointer about to whom is given the next contract. And for fashion houses of course.

But to many of the people in the creative side of the business, writers, actors, composers, technicians, I am sure that they like very much to be recognised for their artistic contribution. I genuiniely believe that Tarantino prefers recognition for his writing talent more than just getting money. He also wants to look back on his body of work and be proud of it, not merely have lots of money for his old age.
    And actors want to work and be seen and have their work admired, and it is not primarily for money. Any actor who thinks they are in it for money is crackers because there are many thousands who aspire to get big parts, and hardly any do.

I agree 100%. It is fun for us, and very meaningful to them. You can tell when so many choke up and are in shock. It is a great honor to them that their peers have voted for them.

As for "who are you wearing," that is great fun for the viewers, at least for me. I think Joan Rivers initiated that phrase when she was doing the red carpet. Again the fashion houses get publicity, the actors look better than they ever did. Everyone has fun. That is the pre show, and no one HAS to watch. This is the last show of the long award season and they've been on every show telling stories about the movie, etc, and the only thing left to ask is "who are you wearing."

Even the French, who as we know consider film a great art form, unlike the crass Americans, have their Palm D'Or at Cannes. And the women walking up the red steps are dressed to the hilt.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree 100%. It is fun for us, and very meaningful to them. You can tell when so many choke up and are in shock. It is a great honor to them that their peers have voted for them.

Called acting lovey you are so gullible to believe it you must be easy to con, all those dodgy con artists will be sending you a few letters telling you you have won the Swailand lottery if you that gullible.

Backstage it will be "bloody hell could do with **** now or a gin hate these bloody awards things but it's a living".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Called acting lovey you are so gullible to believe it you must be easy to con, all those dodgy con artists will be sending you a few letters telling you you have won the Swailand lottery if you that gullible.

Backstage it will be "bloody hell could do with **** now or a gin hate these bloody awards things but it's a living".

Oh, so they are such good actors after all that they've fooled me for so many years.

It's sad to be so cynical that you can't appreciate anything.

So just scrap films off your list of things to enjoy. It's a big world. Try big rig truck shows; Dr. House loved them.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, so they are such good actors after all that they've fooled me for so many years.

It's sad to be so cynical that you can't appreciate anything.

So just scrap films off your list of things to enjoy. It's a big world. Try big rig truck shows; Dr. House loved them.

Quite clearly they are but then maybe you are not so difficult to fool. You probably believe every actor who appears on Graham Norton's show is there because they want to entertain you and not because they are getting a fat fee and promotion

Award shows and chat shows are a tedious part of being famous that most actors don't want to do.
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate award shows, i find them Cringe worthy and annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Quite clearly they are but then maybe you are not so difficult to fool. You probably believe every actor who appears on Graham Norton's show is there because they want to entertain you and not because they are getting a fat fee and promotion

Award shows and chat shows are a tedious part of being famous that most actors don't want to do.

Alas, I live in the US and have not had the pleasure of seeing Graham Norton. Damn, more chances to be gullible that I have not taken.

Poor dear actors. If they want to practice their craft for the love of it, perhaps they should stick to B'way and the West End. Less $$$$, but more satisfaction, and few nasty TV interviews and lunches and swag parties.

Parts of my job I don't like either, but I suck it up for the greater good.