Options

Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon (Album Thread)

LMLM Posts: 63,503
Forum Member
✭✭
Lana has confirmed her new album will be called Honeymoon. The album is hopefully looking at a summer release and has been said to include 9 original songs and a cover of a Nina simone song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeymoon_%28album%29

Let's discuss

Comments

• Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot wait. Love her style
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Interesting.

Did she abandon "Ultraviolence"? I don't remember there being much said about it or many videos.

Looking forward to new music from Lana though.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thrilled there's going to be another album so soon - I love Ultraviolence.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Florida Kilos and Brooklyn Baby were wasted potential hits. I feel like only West Coast was released as a single.

Excited for this album though.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm really excited for this. Loved BTD/Paradise and loved Ultraviolence as well though it took me a long time to get into it properly. Why is she abandoning the Ultraviolence era so quick?
  • Options
    bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so excited for this album although she said in an interview that it's more along the lines of Born to Die/Paradise, not Ultraviolence, which is a shame as I've grown to prefer the production on UV to BTD. However, anything Lana does I love and she described it as noir-esque which sounds brilliant!
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florida Kilos and Brooklyn Baby were wasted potential hits. I feel like only West Coast was released as a single.

Yeah. I know it was said that Brooklyn Baby and UV were released as singles but I never heard/saw them anywhere. Brooklyn Baby is still my favourite song from last year.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Releasing two albums within 12 months....is her name Rihanna?!:D
  • Options
    bunny93bunny93 Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    This has made me so happy! I can't wait :D
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy about this. She's clearly a very prolific song writer and I like that she's a) willing to put new stuff out so soon after the last album and b) has clearly out a lot of thought into this theme.

Any news on the Lizzie Grant album coming out this summer too? It could be a busy couple of months for LDR fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Releasing two albums within 12 months....is her name Rihanna?!:D

I kinda got the impression Lana was done and dusted with the UV era very quickly. As if she was bored. She seemed very eager to move on.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda got the impression Lana was done and dusted with the UV era very quickly. As if she was bored. She seemed very eager to move on.

I got that feeling too. It just felt like she couldn't be bothered to promote it like she already wanted to move on (which in hindsight seems to have been the case with the announcement of Honeymoon) :)
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so excited for this album although she said in an interview that it's more along the lines of Born to Die/Paradise, not Ultraviolence, which is a shame as I've grown to prefer the production on UV to BTD. However, anything Lana does I love and she described it as noir-esque which sounds brilliant!

Ugh sounds like label pressure to me. UV stalled her career (depict much better reviews) didn't really produce any hits, now she's releasing an another album so quickly and making noises about a return to the Born to Die sound - hope this isn't just a couple of songs designed for being huge singles and a bunch of filler on the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh sounds like label pressure to me. UV stalled her career (depict much better reviews) didn't really produce any hits, now she's releasing an another album so quickly and making noises about a return to the Born to Die sound - hope this isn't just a couple of songs designed for being huge singles and a bunch of filler on the album.

But Lana isn't an artist who produces hits though. She isn't like Taylor swift or Katy Perry who have hit after hit. The biggest hit of Lana's career is Summertime sadness, which was remixed for a commericial audience, a remix Lana had no control over and one interview she gave she said she wasn't fond if it and it took away the story and meaning of the song. Plus Lana doesn't do huge big promo like other artists, so there are still tons of people who are still unware of her. She keeps it very low key.

I don't see an issue in her releasing an album so soon, as long as it doesn't sound crap and rushed.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Controversial opinion but I really didn't connect with UV in the way I did BTD so I'm pleased if this album is going to be a return to the original style. Don't get me wrong, there were some songs I really loved on UV but with BTD (and especially the Paradise edition) I could connect to almost every song on an emotional level. It's one of my favourite albums of all time. UV left me pretty cold in comparison. I'll be anticipating Honeymoon. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Lana isn't an artist who produces hits though. She isn't like Taylor swift or Katy Perry who have hit after hit. The biggest hit of Lana's career is Summertime sadness, which was remixed for a commericial audience, a remix Lana had no control over and one interview she gave she said she wasn't fond if it and it took away the story and meaning of the song. Plus Lana doesn't do huge big promo like other artists, so there are still tons of people who are still unware of her. She keeps it very low key.

I don't see an issue in her releasing an album so soon, as long as it doesn't sound crap and rushed.

What I was trying to say is the label maybe trying to turn Lana into more of a hit maker. In the labels eyes I can see UV being considered a disappointment - less sales, no hits. I get the feeling Lana was left to create UV without much label input, now they might feel like stepping in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I was trying to say is the label maybe trying to turn Lana into more of a hit maker. In the labels eyes I can see UV being considered a disappointment - less sales, no hits. I get the feeling Lana was left to create UV without much label input, now they might feel like stepping in.

I hope they don't turn her into a hit maker. She should stick to what she does. Quite a few artists are becoming label puppets. In order to have more hits, more sales, more money and totally losing their integrity. That's one of the reasons why critics and her loyal fanbase like her. Her melancholic dark dingy underground image and music is why the David Lynch adores her. It's why Tim Burton chose her to do two songs for his current film. It's how she got on the Malificient soundtrack. It's her old hollywood vibe why Baz Luhrmann got her on the Great gatsby soundtrack.

Artists like Lana should be left to their themselves to do the music they wants to do. She's isn't an expensive artist. They don't spend a lot of money on her for promotion. It shouldn't matter whether her albums sell millions or not. UV did sell slightly less than BTD but so what. It sold a lot than Iggy Azalea and Ariana Grande's albums, who are much more commericial, much more money is spent on and had a handful of hits all in 2014.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't turn her into a hit maker. She should stick to what she does. Quite a few artists are becoming label puppets. In order to have more hits, more sales, more money and totally losing their integrity. That's one of the reasons why critics and her loyal fanbase like her. Her melancholic dark dingy underground image and music is why the David Lynch adores her. It's why Tim Burton chose her to do two songs for his current film. It's how she got on the Malificient soundtrack. It's her old hollywood vibe why Baz Luhrmann got her on the Great gatsby soundtrack.

Artists like Lana should be left to their themselves to do the music they wants to do. She's isn't an expensive artist. They don't spend a lot of money on her for promotion. It shouldn't matter whether her albums sell millions or not. UV did sell slightly less than BTD but so what. It sold a lot than Iggy Azalea and Ariana Grande's albums, who are much more commericial, much more money is spent on and had a handful of hits all in 2014.

UV has only sold a fifth of BTD's total. Sadly hit singles are what drive album sales these days (outside legacy acts). Nothing on UV had anywhere near the massive impact 'Video Games' had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UV has only sold a fifth of BTD's total. Sadly hit singles are what drive album sales these days (outside legacy acts).

Born to die managed 4 million when combined with Paradise
    UV managed 2 million with less promo, fewer single releases, and no re-release

The fact that 2 million people purchased that album without the need of a hit single to drive them to buy it, is still impressive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born to die managed 4 million when combined with Paradise
    UV managed 2 million with less promo, fewer single releases, and no re-release

The fact that 2 million people purchased that album without the need of a hit single to drive them to buy it, is still impressive.

That's fair enough then you probably have better information than me. I just went to wiki which says BTD has 5 million ww sales and UV on just over 1 million.

You also have to factor in UV sold a lot in the first week because it was follow up to BTD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's fair enough then you probably have better information than me. I just went to wiki which says BTD has 5 million ww sales and UV on just 1 million.

You also have to factor in UV sold a lot in the first week because it was follow up to BTD.

You also have to factor that Lana's music doesn't appeal to the average music buyer. Her type of music doesn't sell a lot. But that shouldn't be discredited or be demanded that she should change her music to become more mainstream for the sake of more sales.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member

Me too.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    UV was much better than BTD for me. Every single track on UV is brilliant.

I'll most likely love anything she does, she's the most talented female writer out there at the moment.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    I got that feeling too. It just felt like she couldn't be bothered to promote it like she already wanted to move on (which in hindsight seems to have been the case with the announcement of Honeymoon) :)

Is it a surprise though?

She fought with her label so much and was told UV was rubbish. Lana and Dan had to take the album to the producer of Adele's album, because her own label thought it was shit, and were told if he didn't like it, she would have to start again. He loved it and thought it was brilliant.

Her label werent going to give her the money to promote this album when they clearly were against it from the start.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UV has only sold a fifth of BTD's total. Sadly hit singles are what drive album sales these days (outside legacy acts). Nothing on UV had anywhere near the massive impact 'Video Games' had.

To be fair, Born To Die had all that ridiculous hype and controversy about her surrounding it so it's probably as high profile as she's ever going to be in her career!