Options

DAB reception in Kent....

13»

Comments

• Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine it's Dover if that's the same as the TV which is from West Hougham. I have received DAB fairly well for years although it may have improved slightly since Swingate started broadcating DAB. I think the KISS problem started recently and a while after Swingate started broadcasting DAB as I'm between the 2. Kiss has a signal error of 0 yet the sound keeps stopping and starting every other second while the other stations are fine. This happened with Planet Rock a few weeks ago but now that's fine. The Kiss frequency is 222.064MHZ could this be from interference in the house or from a neighbour.

The D1 mux is coded centrally, at Croydon I think, If it's a local transmitter fault, or local reception problem then everything on the D1 mux will be affected. If there's a problem with just Kiss, then the whole of the UK will be affected
  • Options
    frank jamesfrank james Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried Kiss on DAB last night and it sounds OK again now and it's OK this morning aswell. A bit off the subject but has anyone noticed reception problems with Heart 97.0 (Dover) on FM. It's fine this morning but was very poor last night and this happens quite a lot now. I have noticed this in the car aswell going between Dover and Folkestone in the last year aswell. It sort of sounds like it is on reduced power with interferance from something else. 95.9 (Thanet) sounds better than 97.0 when this is happening but 95.9 is a bit too distant to listen to properly.
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tried Kiss on DAB last night and it sounds OK again now and it's OK this morning aswell. A bit off the subject but has anyone noticed reception problems with Heart 97.0 (Dover) on FM. It's fine this morning but was very poor last night and this happens quite a lot now. I have noticed this in the car aswell going between Dover and Folkestone in the last year aswell. It sort of sounds like it is on reduced power with interferance from something else. 95.9 (Thanet) sounds better than 97.0 when this is happening but 95.9 is a bit too distant to listen to properly.
    sound ok now kiss but was some power breaks with BBC DAD today this mite be down to the thunderstorms
  • Options
    GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Kent over the weekend and in Herne Bay the reception of Radio Kent on DAB is still patch to put it mildly. A signal in the house just isn't possible. I left the DAB head unit on just after a started my journey back home with Radio Kent on and started to listed to some CD's.

While driving on the M25 near St Albans I noticed on the head unit that in places I was getting a full strength signal from Radio Kent and finally lost it near J9 of the M1.:eek:
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoodBuddy wrote: »
    I was in Kent over the weekend and in Herne Bay the reception of Radio Kent on DAB is still patch to put it mildly. A signal in the house just isn't possible. I left the DAB head unit on just after a started my journey back home with Radio Kent on and started to listed to some CD's.

While driving on the M25 near St Albans I noticed on the head unit that in places I was getting a full strength signal from Radio Kent and finally lost it near J9 of the M1.:eek:

As per the Local DAB buildout thread, Kent is expanding (two extra sites already on) and will cover the whole county within the next nine months. Central and eastern parts are next. You'll have been getting better reception to the west and north from Wrotham and Benfleet now on as well as Bluebell Hill and Tunbridge Wells to the west.
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Maidstone DAB has been crap just recently, the sound cuts out for a second or two every 30 seconds or so. It's unlistenable on any station, but luckily I still have my trusty AM radio.
  • Options
    dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Tunbridge Wells in the centre of town and I can pick up London and Kent DAB. No drop outs at all!

When I first stayed in Deal once the DAB was terrible but it's much better now!

I am near Tonbridge. I am in an amazing area as I get Kent, Sussex all of London and Guildford where I am. I no longer need LW (except for RTE bur only until 2017) MW, or FM as I can pick up stations as diverse as Jack, Jazz FM, Eagle, Nirvana,and Royal Marden Christmas (although this has gone for some inexplicable reason :).

There is also Sputnik, China Radio Int (sorry I meant Sunrise :p) Amoka (sp) and some Russian Station in the M region.

Apparently, from March next year, there is another dab thing firing up, which will bring more Talksport ordinary talk radio and a new edition of Virgin. Not sure how that will do, as there is already plenty of choice on DAB but we'll see, I;m sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    update
    DAB Reception in kent should now be really good now as kent DAB is now on in more parts then it was last year. St marks being the latest site to get it. BBC & D1 has also been add to this site. http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1100
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    according to frequency finder, these are the transmitters that are planned to be turned on, or not yet officially reported as being on.

West Kent and South East Essex : Wrotham
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent : St Marks
    Mid Kent : Charing Hill
    Hythe, Kent : Turnpike Hill

and a boost in power for Thanet
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disrember wrote: »
    according to frequency finder, these are the transmitters that are planned to be turned on, or not yet officially reported as being on.

Wrotham has been live since last November.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    disrember wrote: »

Tunbridge Wells, Kent : St Marks
    Mid Kent : Charing Hill
    Hythe, Kent : Turnpike Hill

and a boost in power for Thanet

I live here and having tried a friends DAB radio its still patchy, parts of Margate, Birchington, Westgate are the some of the worst found this out when driving around. I hope DAB doesnt mean FM becomes useless, I prefer the FM sound.
  • Options
    Roger_PetersRoger_Peters Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would upgrade the Thanet transmitter so we in central Broadstairs can have good reception of the second national mux.
    We are on the extreme (very) fringe and it is incredibly patchy. Unlistenable really unless you are desperate to listen to a particular station on that mux.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they would upgrade the Thanet transmitter so we in central Broadstairs can have good reception of the second national mux.
    We are on the extreme (very) fringe and it is incredibly patchy. Unlistenable really unless you are desperate to listen to a particular station on that mux.
    you could say the same about swingate or dover. what is central Broadstairs like with D1 , BBC & local DAB. im guesting you get a better singal as swingates signal should cover parts of south Thanet. as when it got turned on as where iam the local DAB has been much better then it was before swingate got DAB
  • Options
    Roger_PetersRoger_Peters Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could say the same about swingate or dover. what is central Broadstairs like with D1 , BBC & local DAB. im guesting you get a better singal as swingates signal should cover parts of south Thanet. as when it got turned on as where iam the local DAB has been much better then it was before swingate got DAB

D1, BBC & local mux's have been pretty good since originally launched except when it is really sunny, then there are problems.

In my car I can pick up the second national mux if I park in a specific position. Literally move it one inch and I lose it totally. :(