Sorry another ebay thread.

MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

I have been buying off ebay now for years without a problem until now.

My son asked me to buy a pre-owned Football manager 2013 which I did.

When the game arrived on Monday it wouldn't work. He did some research online and found that this game has a streaming activation code which will only work once, so he won't be able to play it.

I emailed the seller who was aggressive from the start telling me that his uncle had a 'pen' which put a tiny dot on the disc and to send a faulty one back is a serious offence!!

I know games are a bit dodgy when someone claims that they don't work and maybe he has been scammed before, but a simple google search would tell him that no-one else can play the game once he has used the activation code.

He is completely refusing to do anything and has accused me of hassling him and getting really aggressive now.

He says that the item is as described and he does not accept returns.

So I need to know, does he have a point and do I just accept it or do I have a case to open a dispute.

Like I say I have never done this before.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Open a dispute - and don't delete any of those messages he has sent you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Agree with wombat.
    Do it now. Don't leave it.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mollybe wrote: »
    Hi

I have been buying off ebay now for years without a problem until now.

My son asked me to buy a pre-owned Football manager 2013 which I did.

When the game arrived on Monday it wouldn't work. He did some research online and found that this game has a streaming activation code which will only work once, so he won't be able to play it.

I emailed the seller who was aggressive from the start telling me that his uncle had a 'pen' which put a tiny dot on the disc and to send a faulty one back is a serious offence!!

I know games are a bit dodgy when someone claims that they don't work and maybe he has been scammed before, but a simple google search would tell him that no-one else can play the game once he has used the activation code.

He is completely refusing to do anything and has accused me of hassling him and getting really aggressive now.

He says that the item is as described and he does not accept returns.

So I need to know, does he have a point and do I just accept it or do I have a case to open a dispute.

Like I say I have never done this before.

the PC version, i take it?

edit PC and MAC only..

why do people buy second hand PC games on fleabay??

this title is £20 brand new in ASDA

all you can do is open a case

he dosent sound like a very nice seller, if he knew it didnt work, why bother selling it??

OP, if you get no where, the game is £17 on Amazon

i hope you didnt pay much for it
  • MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies.

I have bought PC games before from ebay and never had a problem, this is the first time I have had a problem that cannot be resolved.

Its also his attitude, if he calls me "mate" one more time I am going to lose it.

Right I am off the ebay to figure out how to open a dispute.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, if you get no where, the game is £17 on Amazon

i hope you didnt pay much for it

It was £15 on Steam all last weekend...

Anyway, I agree with the above and it looks like you'll have to open a case against him, not sure if it would class as "significantly not as described", though, so I dunno how you should approach it.

Did the seller make it clear it was second hand and had been played? Did his description say it would be able to be used by the buyer or did he say something like "buyer may have to re-activate to play"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies.

I have bought PC games before from ebay and never had a problem, this is the first time I have had a problem that cannot be resolved.

Its also his attitude, if he calls me "mate" one more time I am going to lose it.

Right I am off the ebay to figure out how to open a dispute.

good luck OP

sounds vile
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is his listing.

Used once, I personally prefer the older ones, this is to complicated for me! in great condition. The case cover has a slice in it but nothing major. CD itself is in near perfect condition. Great game if you have the time, will post 1st class!

happy bidding!

So how do I answer the question because it is as he described.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    It was £15 on Steam all last weekend...

Anyway, I agree with the above and it looks like you'll have to open a case against him, not sure if it would class as "significantly not as described", though, so I dunno how you should approach it.

Did the seller make it clear it was second hand and had been played? Did his description say it would be able to be used by the buyer or did he say something like "buyer may have to re-activate to play"?

I would imagine this would be a case where the item is not as described. Surely a preowned game is expected to be able to be used and played by the new buyer unless otherwise stated in the listing.

The way the seller has reacted when the OP tried to contact him suggests to me that he is not surprised by the problem and thinks his bullying tactics will scare her off and mean he can get away from refunding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm... yeah... I agree with wombat. I think it's worth saying the item is not as described along those lines.

Might also be worth having a shout out on the actual ebay buyers forum to see what they say, as well as us... http://community.ebay.co.uk/category/Discussion-Boards/3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son has emailed Sega with the problem and they have told him there are 2 options.

He can either de-activate his steam account and then the code will work.

Or he can send his steam details but that would involve revealing his password.

He has emailed the seller but I have heard nothing since. He is probably trying to figure out how to turn his computer on.

I will give him a few minutes to get back to me and if not open a dispute. His attitude is really bad. Its a case of tough luck as far as he's concerned.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Just open a dispute and put your case forward. The item may be as described, but you hardly bought it to sit and admire it.

Use the term " not fit for purpose " and you should be fine. You will be given time to resolve the problem with the seller, but he will have to refund you in the long run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Button. OP, you should definitely open a dispute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He can either de-activate his steam account and then the code will work.

Or he can send his steam details but that would involve revealing his password.

I doubt the seller would want to do either of those. He might be able to de-activate the game from his Steam account, though... Never had to do that, though, so I dunno if that's an option...

He was probably hoping to get away with having installed the game on his system, activated it and then sold it on so he could still play it on his system and make some cash off it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have now opened a dispute. I choose the option that the item is unusable.

I will wait now to see what happens.

Thanks for all your advice, it is much appreciated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Keep us updated to what happens! X
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the seller responded to the dispute yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just thought I would add a quick update.

The seller sent me another message telling me he was going to report me to ebay as the item was working and they would side with him and he wanted me to stop hassling him.

He even told me he was just trying to make a living and he couldn't believe I was causing him so much trouble over £10.50!!

I opened a dispute and wrote back telling him that I had done it and wouldn't be hassling him anymore and would let ebay do it.

Almost immediately he sent me his steam username and password saying he never used it anyway.

My son is now happily playing the game so I have closed the dispute. I can't be bothered to let him know though, no doubt he will get a message from ebay.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I really didn't know whether I had a case or not as the game was technically as described but it seems he thought I might have hence sending me the details.

You live and learn.

I am not going to leave feedback yet as I need to think about it and not do anything rash:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you try to access Steam it will email the seller a code that you will have to input to be able to play (Steam are careful about users trying to access accounts from different computers/browsers etc.).
    This is nothing to do with the Football Manager game, this is for the overall access to the Steam account that is needed to play Football Manager.

So, it's not over yet.

If you actually get access to his Steam account you might want to change the Steam password and access email so the seller can't change his mind and do it instead, thus locking you out of the game.

Also, you shouldn't have closed the dispute as things may not be over with and, once closed, you can't re-open a case. He will have been notified that the case has been closed so, if he really is a git, he could still withhold access to his Steam account.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, PC games are cheap enough, why bother??

but im glad its sorted.ish
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Once you open a dispute against a seller, they have no chance of winning really. Ebay will always side with the buyer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once you open a dispute against a seller, they have no chance of winning really. Ebay will always side with the buyer.

That's not a foregone conclusion. It's probably right in 'most' cases. Just spending some time reading the eBay forum shows that it doesn't always work out like that, though.
  • MillysMommaMillysMomma Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please remember, to send things back to the seller using a signed for service or you won't have a leg to stand on. Ebay and paypal always ask for a tracking number.