Best at Comedy Soap.

2»

Comments

• Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emmerdale and Corrie when it's at its best.

Eastenders is really terrible when it tries to be funny.

EastEnders do brilliantly funny off the cuff comments/lines

storyline wise I'd say Emmerdale
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »
    Oaks is frequently unintentionally hilarious these days.

Too right!

Agree with goldlistener's post regarding Corrie; I'm also no fan of Norris.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Looks like Corrie and Emmerdale are winning! :)

Must admit that EE have some good 0ne-Liners! (every other year ;-)

I'm not saying that soaps should be a sit-com by any means....it's just nice to have a bit of fun and humour now and again! (like in real life!).

Long live Blanche Hunt :p
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I can't believe you guys have overlooked the Aussie soaps.

Neighbours do brilliant comedy, theres a few things coming up involving Karl and Susan's blue box, and Georgia and Kyle roleplaying.

Home and Away can do it too with Coleen, Irene and Maralyn. and back in the old days Jack, Damien and Shane got up to all sorts of scrapes

what do you think of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyXWj86Y0NM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLDo9rHfAIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLJFjI2TKB0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks is the best at unintentional comedy. like a hostage situation
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    I think EE can be extremely funny. Nina Wadia in particular was hilarious as Zainab.

You know as much as I believe that EE is the worst at handling comedy (too heavy-handed, childish, even slapstick at times - and with characters laughing at stuff that isn't funny - as if to gee-up the audience into believing that what is being said/done is funny) I have to agree with you about Nina Wadia as Zainab. For me she was the only one who was genuinely funny (as well as being a good serious actress). I think it was more down to the talent and delivery of the actress (who to my mind was wasted on EE) than any skill on behalf of the writers.

I must put in a good word for the character of Tamwar too - he is the only other character on EE that has ever made me laugh with his dry wit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know as much as I believe that EE is the worst at handling comedy (too heavy-handed, childish, even slapstick at times - and with characters laughing at stuff that isn't funny - as if to gee-up the audience into believing that what is being said/done is funny) I have to agree with you about Nina Wadia as Zainab. For me she was the only one who was genuinely funny (as well as being a good serious actress). I think it was more down to the talent and delivery of the actress (who to my mind was wasted on EE) than any skill on behalf of the writers.

I must put in a good word for the character of Tamwar too - he is the only other character on EE that has ever made me laugh with his dry wit.

oh slapstick is soooo not Eastenders at all you're bang on. However they are brilliant at retorts/off the cuff comments. Zainab was brilliant at it and Shirley is another
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim calling Janine Janice always used to make me chuckle. I'm easily pleased obviously!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie and Emmerdale have always been the best for comedy

Eastenders is more better at dry wit and sarcasm

Hollyoaks.......:everyone laughs at it, not with it:D

Emmerdale used to be. Sadly, very little comedy any more - if any. The odd Paul Roundell script sticks in a few lines and that's all.
    Corrie much the same, although I haven't watched since SB stuff kicked in.
    I don't/never did watch the others.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    River City had some subtle comedy lines in its serious issue based episode the other night. I think it gets overlooked at times.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I must admit that EE have had some classic 'one-liners' that have made me laugh.
    That line that Pat Butcher made about " bacon sandwich" at that wedding creased me up!!
    But they are so few and far between!

Emmerdale and Corrie have the bonus because they have 'comedic' characters (who can also play serious at times!) that we love! Look at Betty Eagleton, Paddy Kirk, Pearl Ladderbanks and Doug!! In Corrie there are Mary, Royston, Norris and Deirdre (among others).
    I loved Charlie Bartlett in Sons & Daughters too!!:)
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale has to be best at comedy:

The Dingles used to love Shadrack
    Cain used to have me in stitches about Cameron - Jerseyboy
    Jimmy and Kerry seem to have all the good oneliners especially when Kerry and Val were fighting over a lampost to do some pole dancing and Jimmy always trying to cover something up incase Kneeco finds out.

In Corrie it has to be Steve McDonald - all the other characters are boring.
    Enjoyed the scenes with Jim the other week "howl your horses there son" and away with ya - the old N Ireland talk - nothing beats it
    David used to be funny at times but no longer
  • sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's got to be Corrie!