Killer Seagulls

Sam_Clarke1Sam_Clarke1 Posts: 3,196
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been 'dive-bombed' by gulls in Torquay but haven't heard of this before

Scary

A dog owner was horrified to find her beloved chihuahua was pecked to death by a gang of angry seagulls.
Nikki Wayne, 57, had previously spotted the birds diving for five-month-old Bella and never let her pet play unsupervised outside her home in Honiton, Devon.
But the tiny dog managed to sneak out when the mother-of-five was in the shower after she left the back door slightly ajar.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3070426/Chihuahua-owner-horrified-beloved-puppy-pecked-death-gang-angry-SEAGULLS.html#ixzz3ZQi5rCnW

Comments

• SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do not usually get that aggressive here until the chicks are moving around and falling off the roofs, I have been attacked whilst walking the dog before, And another time it was wearing mirrored sunglasses that set them off >.<
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I have been attacked whilst walking the dog before, And another time it was wearing mirrored sunglasses that set them off >.<
    tey're just jelas
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bastards they are. Round 'my house every morning
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they seem to be getting more aggressive the last ten years, or so.

I had one grab my head on Brighton Pier last year (I had been throwing some bread off the pier to them) shook me up I got to say.

Same with the pigeons down Trafalgar Square / Leicester Square.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Poor puppy.

I saw a magpie attack a fledgling blackbird last week. It's just part of nature, sadly. They do it to feed their themselves and their young, unlike humans.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Apparently Seagulls are a protected species so even if aggressive they cannot be culled.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Apparently Seagulls are a protected species so even if aggressive they cannot be culled.

They can issue permits to cull troublesome seagulls.

Living in Cornwall, gulls can be a pain at this time of year. Squawking at 5 am in the morning, ripping bags open and shitting all over the car. I don't usually wish them any harm though as a lot of their increase in numbers is down our laziness. They find it easier to scavange food inshore these days than hunting out to sea.

I did have to intervene a few years ago though when we were at the duck pond. My son (4 at the time) was horrified when a seagull he was feeding amongst the ducks, decided he didn't like bread and would rather eat one of the ducklings instead.:o. Thankfully a swift size 12 kick up the seagulls arse. And the seagull released the duckling and buggered off.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    I was wondering about that - I thought it was just particular types of gull that were protected. I don't know why those giant man-eating herring gulls need protecting though unless they really think people can afford the gun emplacements and artillery required to shoot them down...

But drones are cheap nowadays, do I need a special licence to fit one with a cattle prod? Or a mini paintball gun as a WMD is tempting, though I think a large tub of paint might be tricky to get off the ground.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Black-Backed Gulls are huge birds and incredibly ruthless and aggressive - the avian version of Hannibal Lecter.

http://www.arkive.org/great-black-backed-gull/larus-marinus/video-08a.html
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    This is making me think of Hitchcock's The Birds.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor puppy. :(

I'm really not in favour of killing things because they are inconvenient, or attracted by your mess and waste but if these Gulls were acting aggressively enough to worry this woman something should have been done.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Around here, shellfish is a big part of the local economy and there are yards full of cockles as big as your hand.

The seagull have figured out that they can pick up a cockle, fly up into the air and drop them they'll be able to pick the meat out of the smashed shell.
    They're even smart enough to have figured out that it doesn't work if they drop them on grassed areas, roads work okay but are dangerous and concrete pavements work best and are safe.

As a result of this, you have to be bloody careful when going for the morning paper or walking the dogs first-thing. :o
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed a lot of smashed mussel shells on the large concreted area by the harbour at Porthmadog - so its not just the Dumfries seagulls that have learnt that trick, Si-Crewe:)
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I noticed a lot of smashed mussel shells on the large concreted area by the harbour at Porthmadog - so its not just the Dumfries seagulls that have learnt that trick, Si-Crewe:)

Yep, it's not uncommon.

It's pretty freaky (and fortunate) that they're smart enough to have realised that it's dangerous to use roads, though.
    I come out of the house, in the morning, and cringe as I walk along the pavement, then breathe a sigh of relief if I get to the field un-bombed.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Living in Swansea - I was awakened this morning in what I can only describe as a seagull fight - 5 am -ish!
    It was horrendous , the noise - a sickening noise tbh - I thought they were out to kill something.!😱
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Yep, it's not uncommon.

It's pretty freaky (and fortunate) that they're smart enough to have realised that it's dangerous to use roads, though.
    I come out of the house, in the morning, and cringe as I walk along the pavement, then breathe a sigh of relief if I get to the field un-bombed.

Smart or Darwin in action?;-)
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Smart or Darwin in action?;-)

Maybe they're the same thing? ;-)
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around here, shellfish is a big part of the local economy and there are yards full of cockles as big as your hand.

The seagull have figured out that they can pick up a cockle, fly up into the air and drop them they'll be able to pick the meat out of the smashed shell.
    They're even smart enough to have figured out that it doesn't work if they drop them on grassed areas, roads work okay but are dangerous and concrete pavements work best and are safe.

As a result of this, you have to be bloody careful when going for the morning paper or walking the dogs first-thing. :o

I'm 5th century BC playwright Aeschylus and I say think yourself lucky it's not tortoises!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they're the same thing? ;-)

:o Maybe we are unwittingly breeding super-intelligent, belligerent air-bombing seagulls!
    Be Afraid!
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Living in Swansea - I was awakened this morning in what I can only describe as a seagull fight - 5 am -ish!
    It was horrendous , the noise - a sickening noise tbh - I thought they were out to kill something.!😱

Swansea Jack seagulls - the most fiendish of all! ;-)
    Forum Member
    I'm 5th century BC playwright Aeschylus and I say think yourself lucky it's not tortoises!

Or "crusty meat pies" as they're sometimes called.

Are there really birds who pick up tortoises to crack 'em open?
    That certainly would be scary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or "crusty meat pies" as they're sometimes called.

That certainly would be scary.

The Bearded Vulture or Lammergeier does. Its main food is bone marrow which again it will drop from a height to crack open, I suppose tortoises were a natural progression.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the Discworld books has one such incident as a central premise, does that count?

edit: or I'm thinking of a particularly cunning assassination attempt
    edit2: or possibly both, combined...
  • OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand seagulls. My 3 year old used to love feeding the ducks, who get no closer than a meter away from him.
    Geese come a bit closer, close enough to touch, but don't cause an issue.

Seagulls sweep in and completely engulf him, squawking and flapping, scaring him enough to make him pee himself.
    Absolutely horrible birds.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's their mating season - they don't half make a racket when they're at it. I bet that's what they were doing ;-)