Options

GMTV/Daybreak - A Mistake?

ToadieTheLawmanToadieTheLawman Posts: 3,366
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What do you think? Have ITV made a mistake in replacing GMTV with Daybreak?

Comments

• Options
    44444444 Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. GMTV was mindnumbing.
  • Options
    Desert RatDesert Rat Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daybreak is slowly merging back into GMTV anyway. This morning we had the reintroduction of the flowers in the background. The scatter cushions will be next, followed by the fruit and coffee on the table.
  • Options
    PawsaPawsa Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I've started watching BBC breakfast instead. I know I'm in the minority but I miss the old team, Andrew Castle was unintentionally funny and I miss just looking at Ben Sheppard :D
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think? Have ITV made a mistake in replacing GMTV with Daybreak?

No... GMTV was dire....anything has got to be better than that!.....
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    No... GMTV was dire....anything has got to be better than that!.....

You would think so, wouldn't you? It isn't though!
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched Daybreak a few times and it's just too clinical. Christine is far too glam at that time of the day although Adrian is probably fine.

So, I think they have made a mistake.

GMTV was quite friendly but too low end, also too many pseudo competitions. But it could have been fixed and made into a fun 'n friendly breakfast show.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMTV wasn't exactly perfect when it first launched and that became a TV:am clone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    IMO...this beggars belief.
    They give us a rubbish show, cut the budget for other stuff and pay for this instead!:(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2010/sep/24/daybreak-itv-st-pauls
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO...this beggars belief.
    They give us a rubbish show, cut the budget for other stuff and pay for this instead!:(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2010/sep/24/daybreak-itv-st-pauls

Ooooh, that sounds impressive. Haven't really noticed it yet though, the screens are doing a great job of brightening things up during the early hours (although not particularly liking all the samey yellow flowers,).

Would you rather have the GMTV scenery (as opposed to scene) then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what ITV consider to be a 'nominal sum' to pay for lighting St Pauls?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4444 wrote: »
    Ooooh, that sounds impressive. Haven't really noticed it yet though, the screens are doing a great job of brightening things up during the early hours.

Would you rather have the GMTV scenery (as opposed to scene) then?

I'd rather they axed this rubbish altogether :D ..theres far more deserving things they could spend the money on!
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    I wonder what ITV consider to be a 'nominal sum' to pay for lighting St Pauls?

Probably about £100 a week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather they axed this rubbish altogether :D ..theres far more deserving things they could spend the money on!

:D I don't think you're alone there.

But there are times that backdrop looks like the Grand Canal in Venice. I love it. All they need to concentrate on is sharpening up the programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D I don't think you're alone there.

But there are times that backdrop looks like the Grand Canal in Venice. I love it. All they need to concentrate on is sharpening up the programme.

lol...i think if they got rid of the presenters and I include them all it would go a long way to making it watchable!
    I don't know who but his miserable face and her accent(I can't understand a word) makes it impossible for me to try at that time in the morning.
    I can't believe i'm saying this but BBC set is easier on the eye and the presenting is quieter and calmer in the morning Some would say boring i'm sure..my opinion of course.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    1.Air the show 7 days with Emma Crosby & Ben Sheppard on Fri, Sat, Sun

2.Set local news times at 6.45 7.15 7.45 8.15

3.More news content.Typical half Hour 6.30 News 6.40 Sport 6.42 papers 6.45 local 6.50 News story 6.53 Business or Consumer feature 6.57 Weather

4.Get rid of Kate Garraway and Ross King

5.Bring back Claire Nasir when the ugly one’s Baby drops

6.No competitions

7.Limit entertainment stories (unless a major story limit to Fri, Sat, Sun shows)

8.Viewer interaction such as News poll or ticker where you can text a comment or message

9.No ads between 6.00 and 7.30. Load more between 7.30 and 9.25

10.Consider AC & CB doing a pre recorded 7pm show to go head to head with the Beeb This could be used to give extra content to the morning show and preview the next days show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol...i think if they got rid of the presenters and I include them all it would go a long way to making it watchable!
    I don't know who but his miserable face and her accent(I can't understand a word) makes it impossible for me to try at that time in the morning.
    I can't believe i'm saying this but BBC set is easier on the eye and the presenting is quieter and calmer in the morning Some would say boring i'm sure..my opinion of course.:)

The thing with Adrian Chiles is that he is what he is. An example: they had this interview with Julia Roberts on yesterday in which she was going on about her love for her husband or partner, whatever he is, and after it Adrian made no secret of the fact he found it all a bit nauseating to much guffawing from the studio team. :D The GMTV crowd would have just all been licking ar*e saying how marvellous and beautiful she is.

I do think Bill Turnbull and Sian Williams are a hard pairing to beat though, they're a very natural, inoffensive couple that are always a delight to watch (although are a bit of a tv equivalent of musak now I think about it, hmmmm).

That pink shirt this morning was a big mistake though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing with Adrian Chiles is that he is what he is. An example: they had this interview with Julia Roberts on yesterday in which she was going on about her love for her husband or partner, whatever he is, and after it Adrian made no secret of the fact he found it all a bit nauseating to much guffawing from the studio team. :D The GMTV crowd would have just all been licking ar*e saying how marvellous and beautiful she is.

I do think Bill Turnbull and Sian Williams are a hard pairing to beat though, they're a very natural, inoffensive couple that are always a delight to watch (although are a bit of a tv equivalent of musak now I think about it, hmmmm).

That pink shirt this morning was a big mistake though.

The interview with Julia Roberts on BBC was actually quite funny when she spoke about the yoga/trousers bit..you could almost see the red face..lol
    It seemed more relaxed..which i like..:)
    Agree about the shirt though..lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh and as for the ass licking...whats her face Fiona Phillips and Lorraine Kelly are famous for that...
    Never forget the Heather Mills rubbish..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1.Air the show 7 days with Emma Crosby & Ben Sheppard on Fri, Sat, Sun

2.Set local news times at 6.45 7.15 7.45 8.15

3.More news content.Typical half Hour 6.30 News 6.40 Sport 6.42 papers 6.45 local 6.50 News story 6.53 Business or Consumer feature 6.57 Weather

4.Get rid of Kate Garraway and Ross King

5.Bring back Claire Nasir when the ugly one’s Baby drops

6.No competitions

7.Limit entertainment stories (unless a major story limit to Fri, Sat, Sun shows)

8.Viewer interaction such as News poll or ticker where you can text a comment or message

9.No ads between 6.00 and 7.30. Load more between 7.30 and 9.25

10.Consider AC & CB doing a pre recorded 7pm show to go head to head with the Beeb This could be used to give extra content to the morning show and preview the next days show.

Agree with most except for AC/CB...they make me switch over i'm afraid!..lol
  • Options
    PhoebeJeebiePhoebeJeebie Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and as for the ass licking...whats her face Fiona Phillips and Lorraine Kelly are famous for that...
    Never forget the Heather Mills rubbish..

I still can't erase from my mind how the monumentally awful Fiona Phillips used to fawn over Blair & Brown, licking their
    a*ses unashamedly, whilst I was trying to enjoy my coco pops in the morning. Gordon Brown's ego, enjoying the public licking so much, offered her a job in his failed GOAT idea (Government of all the talents) as chief brown noser (how apt)......she declined and is now flogging face cream on the telly box. Now, whatever did happen to dear old Mr Brown!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still can't erase from my mind how the monumentally awful Fiona Phillips used to fawn over Blair & Brown, licking their
    a*ses unashamedly, whilst I was trying to enjoy my coco pops in the morning. Gordon Brown's ego, enjoying the public licking so much, offered her a job in his failed GOAT idea (Government of all the talents) as chief brown noser (how apt)......she declined and is now flogging face cream on the telly box. Now, whatever did happen to dear old Mr Brown!!

Coco Pops!!:eek::D
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked in on Daybreak today as I am working from home. To me it looks just like the One Show transplanted to breakfast time. The purple graphics look weird and cheap, they remind me of the Premier Inn adverts. Andrian Chiles cannot smile to save his life.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched a little then when the premium rate "competition" crap came on and the showbiz fawning I switched off.

It's like a Doctor Who regeneration.

It looks different on the outside but underneath it's the same old crap.
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That fills me with such a warm feeling. To think that...thing...could've played a role in government which directly affected my life. Wow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I looked in on Daybreak today as I am working from home. To me it looks just like the One Show transplanted to breakfast time. The purple graphics look weird and cheap, they remind me of the Premier Inn adverts. Andrian Chiles cannot smile to save his life.

It would though! The One Show is a magazine-type programme (in other words it comprises of a varied range of items and features) and so is Daybreak!! What did you expect - Top of the Pops? :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's probably an American model of this somewhere that this has derived from. I was watching an old interview with the late actor Jon-Erik Hexum last night from 1983 or 1984 where he was on an American breakfast programme in an orange studio with bricks in the background remarkably similar to that used by TV-am (and how it would later look). We just soak up everything that starts in America first.