Really nasty cold? Anyone else suffering?

RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I cannot remember ever having a cold this bad?

My eyes and nose are streaming, my ears are blocked, skin around my lips and nose is sore and cracked. I feel like I am semi conscious - physically I am here but mentally I am half asleep. I have a pounding headache. Appetite if fine though, I am sleeping OK and tend to feel worse as the day goes on

I have tried the 'drug' route (taking cold an flu remedy) with no joy., Dr's can't give me an appointment.

Anyone else have / had this? How lomg until your started to feel better? I've been ill for 4 days now and do not seem to be getting any better?

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheers - but it's def not the flu (I'm actually at work :o)

I have had the flu and know the difference, but will check out the thread.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most of the people on the thread didn't actually have flu, it was just a nasty cold. There is a lot of it about at the mo, my mum has it and is off sick from work and she NEVER takes a day off work and my work is practically deserted due to people being off ill. My bro is a doc and he says rhe only thing you can do is rest up and take things to alleviate the symptoms.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Bad news for you RG - my OH is now on day 12 of this cold, says the worst thing at this stage is the constantly sore throat and cough, and still feeling all hot and cold. I know other people who have had it and said it lasts two weeks.:(

There is no point going to the doc, there is nothing they can do for a cold and you will just spread it to others in the surgery. Just keep on with the usual cold/flu remedies you can buy at the chemist. OH found Night Nurses capsules very helpful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I'm just about over a rough cold. I feel fine, except there's still some crap in my head and chest.
    This one lasted 2 1/2 weeks. :eek:

I had a terrible pounding headache the first couple of days, I don't remember having such a headache with a cold before.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    Bad news for you RG - my OH is now on day 12 of this cold, says the worst thing at this stage is the constantly sore throat and cough, and still feeling all hot and cold. I know other people who have had it and said it lasts two weeks.:(

There is no point going to the doc, there is nothing they can do for a cold and you will just spread it to others in the surgery. Just keep on with the usual cold/flu remedies you can buy at the chemist. OH found Night Nurses capsules very helpful.

I actually had a cough and cold two weeks ago - but it was nothing like this? I guess I never shifted it....

I know the Dr cannot do anything, and I also know I should be at home in bed (my work don't believe in 'illness' :eek: plus I've left a few hours early for the past few days!)

I've also stopped taking cold & flu remedy as all the caffiene in it gave me a bad tummy :o
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just about over a rough cold. I feel fine, except there's still some crap in my head and chest.
    This one lasted 2 1/2 weeks. :eek:

I had a terrible pounding headache the first couple of days, I don't remember having such a headache with a cold before.

It's awful! I got sinusitis from it, as well as a viral conjunctivitis. Tt completely wiped me out for a week. That was followed on from a stomach bug - I forgot what it felt like to feel relatively 'normal!'

Lots of hot toddies, plenty of strepsils and sleep where you can! If you're struggling at work, go home. It's pointless passing it round the office, making everyone else ill in the process!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member

lol....can definately tell your female by this response :D
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was ill for 2 weeks with this. I tried coming into work on one of the days and had to go home as I was so bad.

I still have a sore through and sinus pain but I can live with that. i am eating Vitamin C and Echanacia (SP) like sweeties trying to ward off any more bugs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had it since mid-last week. It's the worst cold I've ever had, though I'm convinced I had flu as well because I have never had the shakes and such awful fevers from a cold before. I'm starting to feel better - can breathe through my nose again, at last - but I still have temperature problems and a very bad cough. I've also lost a bit of weight through lacking the energy to eat.

I'm hoping I'm not being too optimistic by suspecting I am over the worst of it. Some people have had this just for a few days, others several weeks. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought my OH was coming down with this last night and this morning, he was up through the night making pathetic wimpering noises (as men do) - he called in sick this morning after i went to work and text me a self pitying message about how awful he felt... seems to have come round slightly now as his mate Dave has been round with a gravy n chip and 10 cigs whilst they play on the xbox... men eh :rolleyes:
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I've also stopped taking cold & flu remedy as all the caffiene in it gave me a bad tummy :o

Day Nurse and Night Nurse don't contain caffeine just FYI if you want to try a different med.:) Hope you feel better in time to enjoy Christmas!
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not got a cold, but I do have sore throat, really bad cough, ear ache, chest pains, headache and achey limbs. I've just been to the doctors and all he could say was come back in a few days if it's not gone :-( I never get coughs and colds, so this has hit me for six. I got sent home from work, and am not going in tomorrow after speaking to them. It started yesterday as a slight cough, and has gone to what it is now already!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    It's awful! I got sinusitis from it, as well as a viral conjunctivitis. Tt completely wiped me out for a week. That was followed on from a stomach bug - I forgot what it felt like to feel relatively 'normal!'

Lots of hot toddies, plenty of strepsils and sleep where you can! If you're struggling at work, go home. It's pointless passing it round the office, making everyone else ill in the process!

Goodness, that makes my cold seem rather trivial now. :eek: At least I had nothing else to cope with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum's cold is full blown now and really nasty.

Mine is still rattling around as well - I'm not quite as over it as I thought I was. Still sound horrible and still have a bad cough.

Going to be a fun Christmas in our house. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I am on week 3 of mine. Chest infection is subsiding, now just got a hacking cough, blocked painful sinuses, and a floaty head.

I was at work for 2 of those weeks, on xmas holidays now so I can get over it all. Just to go back and probably catch something else :D (I work in a nursery)....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I've had a hellish cold/cough/sore throat/temperature and really painful sinuses which I just can't shift for about a week now... It's worst at nighttime so I'm not getting to sleep until 7am roughly and totally lacking energy or motivation to do anything!

On the upside, my mum seems to think that being "ill" is excuse enough to break healthy eating and "eat whatever you feel like eating" :eek: ....hello chocolate, cake, toast, etc etc!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On week 4 of my cold, will it ever go!?

Its a lingerer!!
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a beast ! Week 3 and counting. Started with sore throat and voice completely went for several days.Still sound like the demon in The Exorcist. The things I have coughed up could win the Turner Prize.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Get yourselves some Manuka honey & a bottle of lemon juice. Boil up a kettle and put a great big dollop of Manuka honey in a mug and a good splash of lemon juice. stir in the hot water and take small sips.

It really helped me out when I had a cold last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lillith wrote: »
    It's a beast ! Week 3 and counting. Still sound like the demon in The Exorcist.

That's about where I am at. I still feel a bit floaty-headed as well.

This monster of a cold is neverbloodyending. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Two weeks and counting here, along with a rattling cough!!!! I just can't seem to shake this cold off...my nose is red and chapped, my lips are chapped and my face is white as a sheet....I can't wait to finish work and rest, that is after I've done all the shopping and cooked all the Christmas Dinner, lol, after that it's each man for himself :D
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    My mum's cold is full blown now and really nasty.

Mine is still rattling around as well - I'm not quite as over it as I thought I was. Still sound horrible and still have a bad cough.

Going to be a fun Christmas in our house. :(
    You may find if you have a few quiet days at home over Christmas it will make all the difference. I had a cold for weeks a few years ago that hung around until I had a proper break

CAnnot recommend menthol crystal in hot water enough for those with really stuffed up heads, and it helps coughs too. Be careful though!
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too - day 7 and feeling crappy.

I've got some Covonia cough mix from Boots that's knocking me out a night - amazing stuff!, slice of lemon and some honey with hot water and I've become addicted to olbas oil tissues.

I'm not bothering my GP but Boots pharmacy have been great. As well as Covonia they suggested garglling hot salted water which has helped loads and ibuprofen not paracetomal as it's a better anti-inflammatory for sore throats.

I just wish I had something to stop my nose going red.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    You may find if you have a few quiet days at home over Christmas it will make all the difference. I had a cold for weeks a few years ago that hung around until I had a proper break

CAnnot recommend menthol crystal in hot water enough for those with really stuffed up heads, and it helps coughs too. Be careful though!

I'm able to function pretty much normally now but my mum is about to get hit by the worst of it so the peace and quiet will be good for her.

I always use menthol crystals when I have colds and they are usually fab but this time they didn't clear any of my blockages at all. Neither did Vix. Nothing seemed to shift this horrible bugger; I had to wait for it to just do its thing and clear off out of its own free will. :(