EE axe jim

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
Forum Member
It depressing watching him I know he's I'll but they should write him out until he's well again:)

Comments

• ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I'd duck if I were you...the shit's gonna hit the fan on this one :o
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree he's got all his family there and it's always good when he gets emotional scenes with family and friends e.g. Dot, Patrick, Carol, Jack.......
  • notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth should they?
    He still conveys his role brilliantly, many actors cannot do this even when they have full powers of speech!
  • BigDuckBigDuck Posts: 4,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super buzz wrote: »
    It depressing watching him I know he's I'll but they should write him out until he's well again:)

It's not as simple as writing him out until he's well again because the actor had a stroke, he may never recover fully.

This is one of the most realistic recoveries we've seen in soap, mostly because it is actually real. But from what I understand John is actually in a fitter state than Jim, but it's good EE are showing the realism of this condition.

Real life is depressing, but hey, it's real life.
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    It's depressing watching an actor bravely defy the odds and continue working despite obvious barriers.
    But it's not depressing to screen a dead baby being swapped for a kidnapped one on New year's Day.

Am I following, OP?
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen Jim in EE for aaaaaaaaaages, but it's great that they are keeping the character going. Ongoing medical conditions, such as stroke, are often ignored by soaps because they are too difficult to represent in a dramatic manner suitable for TV. (Dememntia is another one that's tricky to televise).

Good on 'em for persevering with the character, and congratulations for John Bardon for making enough of a recovery to be able to continue to work, even in a limited way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    It's depressing watching an actor bravely defy the odds and continue working despite obvious barriers.
    But it's not depressing to screen a dead baby being swapped for a kidnapped one on New year's Day.

Am I following, OP?

The baby swap storyline might be depressing but it's sure as hell more interesting than watching a old man waste away.
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    The baby swap storyline might be depressing but it's sure as hell more interesting than watching a old man waste away.

I'll respond as I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you just don't understand rather than you're trying to troll.
    But I don't see how seeing a man improve after a stroke (which he has if you remember the fact that there was a long time he could barely communicate at all) is seeing someone waste away. I'd say it was the opposite
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member

Waste away? My Grandad had a stroke and lived for another 20 years. His speech was much like Jim's. But his personality and vitality was alive and we never looked at him with sadness that he was "wasting away".

Are people honestly uncomfortable with watching someone who isn't the norm on TV? Is that what people are saying? I adore all of Jim's scenes on EE and its pretty clear to me that the cast love working with him as well. Some of his scenes with Carol have been amazing!
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depressing watching him [NEW SENTENCE] I know he's I'll but they should write him out until he's well again:)
    I find it far more depressing to read the barely literate ramblings of people who want to see a stroke victim sacked from his acting role as a stroke victim.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    I find it far more depressing to read the barely literate ramblings of people who want to see a stroke victim sacked from his acting role as a stroke victim.

A was typing from my phone and in a rush "barely literate" av got a B in higher English
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A was typing from my phone and in a rush B].[/B "barely literate" av got a B in higher English
    Standards really have fallen in recent years.;)
  • kushtiimayteekushtiimaytee Posts: 9,732
    Forum Member
    ads84 wrote: »
    I'd duck if I were you...the shit's gonna hit the fan on this one :o

You're telling me! What a misleading title!!!

And John Bardon is more than well enough :)
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My father has suffered a stroke in the same way as John Bardon. Does that mean we should lock him in a room on his own because he is too depressing to look at?

Oh, and in case you didn't realise, strokes aren't like a cold. You rarely "get well again".
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is commendable of EastEnders that they did not write out Jim when John had a stroke, could there be any more proof that life can and does go on after suffering a stroke?

Both Jim as the character and John as the actor have gone a long way to educate people that you can have a meaningful and enjoyable life, maybe not the life you enjoyed before but still worthwhile!

I would be very cross if they wrote out Jim while John is still willing and able to continue

Also there is a great opportunity here, which I think it begining to be shown, about how isolated carers can be when in this situation, I hope they continue to highlight this aspect.
  • JJAMUFCJJAMUFC Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John is still up for playing Jim, so why should they write him out? daft attitude to have OP!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Misleading thread title! I was scared he'd actually been axed then. Glad that he hasn't :)
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I don't feel uncomfortable watching him.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How dare eastenders have an actor/character with a debilitating condition and thrust it upon us poor sensitive viewers!

I demand all my TV actors/characters to be in perfect physical shape
  • SpeedyWalkerSpeedyWalker Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Yes it's appalling him still being in it. Should just kill him off and be done with it.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Jim is one of the least depressing aspects of EE.
    They could easily have kept Jim in a care home and only occasionally mentioned him in passing or killed him off, instead they kept him in the show which I think was the right decision. John's acting is excellent - he doesn't need to be able speak well for us to know what he's saying.
    cath99 wrote: »
    Are people honestly uncomfortable with watching someone who isn't the norm on TV? Is that what people are saying?
    Only one person I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for writing him out until he is better, sorry but it's been a couple of years since he had his stroke so in my opinion he is probably recovered as well as he's going to which has been considerably well. Unfortunately when it comes to strokes depending on the severity of it many people will never make a fully recover so lets just except John as he is and enjoy the rality he gives to a health storyline which is sadly lacking usually.
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the actor suffering extremely bad financial difficulties when he was off screen after suffering a stroke?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Jim get better? I don't know much about strokes, but does anyone know how John actually is?
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Jim should be axed, not like people suffer from strokes in real life is it :rolleyes: