Which Soap Character has been the most ruined by the writers/producers etc??

KingCorrieKingCorrie Posts: 308
Forum Member
I was just wondering which character has been the most ruined in any soap and why you think this?

There are a lot I can think of just off the top of my head:

Coronation Street:
Bet Gilroy - was a wonderful character, full of fun and feisty, then they made her campy and OTT with a ridiculous amount of scenes but hardly many storylines in the last few years.

Eastenders:
Kat Slater - No matter how much you dress it up, Kat has become a massive big yawn fest. Love the character but she has been absolutely destroyed by this recent affair and continual will they wont they with Alfie.

Emmerdale:
Andy Sugden - too many explosive storylines in such a short amount of time that it made me uninterested with him to this day. Beating up his partner and then having him remorseful and then everyone forgetting about it has really not rang true with me.

Hollyoaks:
Jack Osbourne - All the faking his death etc was so out of character for him and ridiculous that he has never been redeemable in my eyes (and he was one of my favourite soap characters before this).

there are loads more but I dont wanna just sit here and rant ;)

Comments

• Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a toss up between Kat Slater and Pauline Fowler.
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's fair to say that Kat has been completely ruined. She isn't beyond redemption.

Kat isn't in the best place right now but I think she can get better as long as she is kept away from Alfie. They aren't right together anymore and I don't think anybody wants to see them together even if they are happy. Kat shouldn't be in a relationship for a few years now and should be given storylines which don't revolve around men .

Kat, Jean and Mo need to all move into the Slater house again and have storylines separate from Alfie and the Vic. I think it's sad that the writers believe Kat and Alfie are a cherished double act because I think they'd be great away from each other...

The prize for the character which has been ruined to such an extent that she can't return has to go to Ronnie. Not because of the storylines, I loved every second of them. It's just that to bring her back would be far too complicated and quite unbelievable. Both Kat and Alfie would need to leave to facilitate her return otherwise it would be a complete farce. Kat might have forgiven her at the very end but there is no way that she would allow Ronnie to move back to the Square and I'm sure the courts would prevent it. On top of that she has absolutely no reason to return to the square bar Roxy, who I think she could survive without. Ronnie has never been portrayed as overly needy, the only thing that she really wanted was a baby and it's too much of a stretch to believe she would return to the place in which three of her children had died.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,213
    Forum Member
    How about Belle Dingle off Emmerdale?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KingCorrie wrote: »
    Emmerdale:
    Andy Sugden - too many explosive storylines in such a short amount of time that it made me uninterested with him to this day. Beating up his partner and then having him remorseful and then everyone forgetting about it has really not rang true with me

Similarly in Emmerdale, Ashley has been ruined for me. The storyline of his abuse of his father was never really concluded satisfactorily for me. I guess we are still supposed to believe that his rehabilitation is ongoing? :confused: What would have been much more believable is Laurel trying to keep her family together as best she could. Instead we get Laurel running into Marlon's arms. Ugh.
  • madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think currently the writers are letting Alil King/ Carla down. She's a fantastic character that needs some work as right now they aren't doing her justice
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bianca Butcher, though not beyond redemption, has been ruined. As an iconic character from the 90's, it is a shame to see her being written like this. She needs to get out of the poverty phase.

Kat Moon- she can be saved but will it be worth all the effort? These days, it appears that people want her away from Alfie and that he gets with Roxy.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    Ronnie was ruined so much in the baby swap storyline. I can't see her ever returning again. :(
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,888
    Forum Member
    Laurel Thomas. She had her faults like anyone, but now the character is just plain unlikeable.
  • Mattyboii1995Mattyboii1995 Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it would be great for Ronnie to return one day, by the end of her 4 years I felt like after prison she would probably go to a secure unit she was so damaged at the end :(
  • minigockominigocko Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Ian Beale has definitely been ruined by eastenders producers, once one of the big men in eastenders. But the homeless storyline ruined him, made him more fragile, badly done in my opinion, been months since the storyline and Ian is still not back to his proper self, maybe the mini feud with Denise could see him back to his best
  • Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,383
    Forum Member
    Everyone in Emmerdale for as long as SB is in charge.
  • zendo59zendo59 Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Kat Slater
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Laurel Thomas. She had her faults like anyone, but now the character is just plain unlikeable.

I couldn't agree more. The whole relationship with Marlon is too unbelieveable, and has never rung true with me.
    Would a woman who has gone through:
    *the death of her child;
    *subsequently discovering that the dead child wasn't actually hers and in fact her child was still alive and living only a few doors away;
    *a highly emotional custordy battle;
    *her husband being stalked by a mad woman who tried to kill her;
    and many other things really just dump her husband because she fancied someone a bit?

I also never believed that she would have taken none of the blame for the elder abuse storyline. Laurel would have seen that she had driven Ashley to breaking point and that she was a contributing factor, though not entirely to blame.
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Apart from the obvious choice in EE (Kat), I'd say Stacey Slater. While having her as Archie's killer came as a shock to many, it ruined the character, and doing the deed in cold blood sealed her fate even further. If Archie had tried to attack her again and she'd lashed out then maybe it would have been understandable, but no matter what he did she hit him with the intent to kill and for me that destroyed her.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minigocko wrote: »
    Ian Beale has definitely been ruined by eastenders producers, once one of the big men in eastenders. But the homeless storyline ruined him, made him more fragile, badly done in my opinion, been months since the storyline and Ian is still not back to his proper self, maybe the mini feud with Denise could see him back to his best

I don't think he was destroyed. I love him more now, mind he's an arse and successful and then not and whatever.

But I love him, I sort of liked his breakdown in the sense that Ian is basically, in spite of his weasledom, a good enough guy.

I'm watching his recovery with great affection - I loved the Spock outfit, bless him.

Kat from hearsay, have to say, because I didn't watch her first time round. She's recoverable though - although I want her on her own and bloody sorting herself out and masses of bloody nobility instead of 'poor ole memememememe'.

Syed was trashed before he went. There was recovery of a sort for Chryed, but they threw the kitchencharacterfaults sink at him.:(
  • MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like the fact that Emmerdale aren't afraid to take risks and be controversial with long term characters such as Andy and Ashley. Other soaps would have just brought new characters in for the specific plot and then killed them off. I agree though that particularly Andy has not been followed up properly apart from displaying a bit of controlling behaviour when he dated the factory girl who's name I can't remember. I'd like to see his issues resurface in a new relationship to show that abusers aren't just made that way by one woman and then fine the rest of the time.

Ruined character for me definitely Ronnie in EE who I thought was a great character and brilliant actress but the storylines have made her irredeemable.

Becky in Corrie was an annoying violent irritant and was glad when she left as the writers overused her.
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the obvious choice in EE (Kat), I'd say Stacey Slater. While having her as Archie's killer came as a shock to many, it ruined the character, and doing the deed in cold blood sealed her fate even further. If Archie had tried to attack her again and she'd lashed out then maybe it would have been understandable, but no matter what he did she hit him with the intent to kill and for me that destroyed her.

If she had planned the murder then I'd have very little sympathy for her as yes then it would be in cold blood.

But she went to see the man who she believed had got her pregnant, the man who she believed had taken away the opportunity for her and Bradley to have a baby together, and she acted on impulse. Afterwards she wasn't happy with herself but completely disgusted that she had done it.

They have backed themselves into the corner by having her go on the run though. When she returns (And it is inevitable that she will..) she will hopefully get arrested and then released without charge due to lack of proof. I don't think that it was ever revealed to the police that she had murdered Archie, just claimed that she had stabbed Janine which I am sure they will conveniently forget upon her return...

What hurt her character to me was her relationship with Ryan and how she forgot about Bradley so quicky.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Whitney Dean has been ruined a lot. When she came to the square, her storylines were absolutely fantastic and very hard hitting. The whole thing with Tony and then with Rob was really good. She was a tragic and pretty likable character,

Then they reduced her to a love triangle between Fatboy and Tyler. I have nothing against fatboy but it was obvious from the start than him and whitney don't match well together, then the producers dragged the storyline for far too long when we didn't even want Whitney and Tyler together anyway.

I don't think Whitney is damaged beyond repair but the way things are going, she very well could be.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Pippa on H&A. Her last stint was pointless with no real depth to the character. It felt like they were trying to tell us that just because Sally was gone didn't mean there was an end to the Fletchers but I imagine new fans were wondering who the hell she was and what was she doing.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    It's a toss up between Kat Slater and Pauline Fowler.

Definitely Pauline is the most ruined. An EE icon, original character and matriarch of the show's founding central family, reduced to a bitter, twisted miserable witch in her final few months. So much that her exit storyline was a 'whodunnit' for gods sake! Awful.
  • EEforestEEforest Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    I think Whitney Dean has been ruined a lot. When she came to the square, her storylines were absolutely fantastic and very hard hitting. The whole thing with Tony and then with Rob was really good. She was a tragic and pretty likable character,

Then they reduced her to a love triangle between Fatboy and Tyler. I have nothing against fatboy but it was obvious from the start than him and whitney don't match well together, then the producers dragged the storyline for far too long when we didn't even want Whitney and Tyler together anyway.

I don't think Whitney is damaged beyond repair but the way things are going, she very well could be.

I think all Whitney needs is a good storyline (she hasn't had one in nearly 2 years) and to get her away from Tyler. I'd like to see Debra return and for their to be a storyline between Whitney, Debra, Bianca and Carol.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon Watts
    Kat Slater

Ashley Thomas
    Laurel Thomas

Steve McDonald
    Carla Connor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ED- Carl King.

Loved him to start, youngest brother, funny, laid back, he fell madly in love was cute.

Then, along came the father murdering, accidental killing, affair ridden, family hating rapist.... :sleep:
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think currently the writers are letting Alil King/ Carla down. She's a fantastic character that needs some work as right now they aren't doing her justice

She's one of the best actresses in Corrie but needs some better writing.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KingCorrie wrote: »
    I was just wondering which character has been the most ruined in any soap and why you think this?

There are a lot I can think of just off the top of my head:

Coronation Street:
    Bet Gilroy - was a wonderful character, full of fun and feisty, then they made her campy and OTT with a ridiculous amount of scenes but hardly many storylines in the last few years.

Eastenders:
    Kat Slater - No matter how much you dress it up, Kat has become a massive big yawn fest. Love the character but she has been absolutely destroyed by this recent affair and continual will they wont they with Alfie.

Emmerdale:
    Andy Sugden - too many explosive storylines in such a short amount of time that it made me uninterested with him to this day. Beating up his partner and then having him remorseful and then everyone forgetting about it has really not rang true with me.

Hollyoaks:
    Jack Osbourne - All the faking his death etc was so out of character for him and ridiculous that he has never been redeemable in my eyes (and he was one of my favourite soap characters before this).

there are loads more but I dont wanna just sit here and rant ;)

I'm not a regular ED viewer but from what I've seen every new woman had to swoon over Andy and then sleep with him. YUK.