Options

Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• Options
    LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I don't think it is odd that she was sleeping in shorts and a vest top. Plenty of people wear nightwear like that. If she was in a dress or jeans or something, that would have been weird.

It was also Valentines day and wasn't it a fairly new relationship? I'd expect her to be naked if indeed they were in bed.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    Although, who would mistake the washing machine clicking on as an intruder. Yet that's what he apparently did another time previously(and armed himself)

I wonder if the washing machine survived or whether he shot it through the laundry-room door?
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see it's just being reported that Botha (the lead detective) is up on multiple charges of attempted murder. These relate to a case in 2011 where he and two other drunk officers opened fire on 7 people in a mini bus. The charges had initially been dropped but have now been reinstated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see it's just being reported that Botha (the lead detective) is up on multiple charges of attempted murder. These relate to a case in 2011 where he and two other drunk officers opened fire on 7 people in a mini bus. The charges had initially been dropped but have now been reinstated.

It seems a bit of a circus. Looks like Oscar will be walking away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LH1 wrote: »
    It seems a bit of a circus. Looks like Oscar will be walking away.

It's now being reported that the charges had been dropped in 2011 but were reinstated yesterday...the timing seems awfully strange.

But yes I agree, with all this it's looking increasingly like Pistorius is just going to walk away from this
  • Options
    nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole thing appears to be rapidly descending into farce...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's now being reported that the charges had been dropped in 2011 but were reinstated yesterday...the timing seems awfully strange.

But yes I agree, with all this it's looking increasingly like Pistorius is just going to walk away from this

Yep the timing is significant. Massively obvious attempt to discredit the police in OP's favour! Just call me a cynic. I doubt he will do much crying today.
  • Options
    LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like another OJ....

No matter how much I think about this killing it just doesn't add up....

I fear there will be no justice for the loss of this lovely young women...:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LucyDTrym wrote: »

I agree. At the end of all this, after all the arguments, a young woman was gunned down & no amount of mud slinging will bring her back.

I would be interested to know why the charges were initially dropped in 2011 & for what reasons they were reinstated yesterday. Of course, if Botha did commit the offence he is now being recharged for then it's absolutely right that he be tried for them...I just can't get that niggling feeling out of my head that some pressure from A. N. Other has led to this happening now, if only to show that not all people charged with firearms offences are tried for murder...does that make sense?
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. At the end of all this, after all the arguments, a young woman was gunned down & no amount of mud slinging will bring her back.

I would be interested to know why the charges were initially dropped in 2011 & for what reasons they were reinstated yesterday. Of course, if Botha did commit the offence he is now being recharged for then it's absolutely right that he be tried for them...I just can't get that niggling feeling out of my head that some pressure from A. N. Other has led to this happening now, if only to show that not all people charged with firearms offences are tried for murder...does that make sense?

From who? Pistorius isn't that powerful.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I wonder how many people have read this thread beginning to end?

Some might have the time, but probably not the majority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »

I don't know, I really don't. But you have to admit that the timing of this is suspect. I'm not privy to how the SA judicial system works, I imagine that someone somewhere decided that the reinstatement of these charges yesterday after them being dropped 2 years ago would be in 'the public interest'. I'll have to speak to my SA friend & ask who has the power to have these dropped charges reinstated.

Don't underestimate Pistorius though, to many in SA he holds near Godlike status...I'm not saying HE was involved, just that there are many in SA who hold him that high
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does all sound very weird to me.

BUT the point is why should it make any difference anyway?

The charges were reinstated AFTER he visited the crime scene. Does it mean that all the crimes he attended since 2011 will now be null and void HARDLY.

I am not a detective but for me if i was asleep in bed with a beautiful women and thought there was a burglar I would have checked on her first......

Also this was a gated community.

My friend who lives SA is living in one, and they have panic buttons in their bedroom and kitchen, and also an alarm system.

SURELY if you were that scared of intruders YOU WOULD have the house alarmed and a flipping great big guard dog roaming the grounds...................

Nah non of this makes sense.

I lived in Kenya for 2 years, and we had a night guard outside all night and access to a phone in our bedroom.

Anyway I dont see why the detectives 2011 so called maybe shooting should have anything to do with it now.

I just hope the judge doesnt listen to all this and keeps this guy in prison.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I really don't. But you have to admit that the timing of this is suspect. I'm not privy to how the SA judicial system works, I imagine that someone somewhere decided that the reinstatement of these charges yesterday after them being dropped 2 years ago would be in 'the public interest'. I'll have to speak to my SA friend & ask who has the power to have these dropped charges reinstated.

Don't underestimate Pistorius though, to many in SA he holds near Godlike status...I'm not saying HE was involved, just that there are many in SA who hold him that high

Yes I have heard same from my ex brother in law who lives there.
  • Options
    Forum Member

People who might see Pistorius as a shining symbol of South Africa would though.

South African justice isn't the most subtle thing around, is it?

Remember the Anni Dewani case?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well that sounds very suspicious to me. That those charges have been reinstated right now at this point in time.
    The timing to me suggests that it's not a coincidence.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Exactly. The defence have tried to muddy the waters by attempting to discredit the Police Officer, and surrounding issues.

The basic fact is that he fired a gun wildly through a door where someone was in an enclosed space.

The fact he has been charged with murder suggests such actions are not lawful in South Africa.

He is trying to come up with self defence, but all of the circumstances have to be considered to see if his actions were reasonable in the circumstances. they clearlly weren't, even if it was a burglar.
    So if the bathroom door had been smashed in to reveal a bullet-riddled brawny burglar with a hand cannon of his own, you'd still push for Oscar to be charged with murder and sent down?
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member

How do you know she was lovely? Did you know her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When is Inspector Gadget's bail hearing? I think he is a significant flight risk. I mean jail time is a serious business isn't it. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So if the bathroom door had been smashed in to reveal a bullet-riddled brawny burglar with a hand cannon of his own, you'd still push for Oscar to be charged with murder and sent down?

How on Earth did you come to that conclusion based on the post you quoted?

Did you, perhaps, quote the wrong post entirely? :confused:

DP was simply pointing out that the fact that OP has been charged with murder, rather than any other offence, suggests that pre-emptively killing somebody because you thought they might turn out to be a danger to you is probably frowned-upon in SA just as it it in the UK.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How ironic would it be for Botha to be going through the same bail hearing process in a couple of weeks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

DP was simply pointing out that the fact that OP has been charged with murder, rather than any other offence, suggests that killing somebody because you thought they might turn out to be a danger to you is probably frowned-upon in SA just as it it in the UK.

I agree and it's also futile to talk about different circumstances because the facts are that a young woman was shot dead in OP's home and not a burglar.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

DP was simply pointing out that the fact that OP has been charged with murder, rather than any other offence, suggests that pre-emptively killing somebody because you thought they might turn out to be a danger to you is probably frowned-upon in SA just as it it in the UK.
    It's more of a question spawned from DP's general attitude across the thread than a direct reply to that particular post, but quotes grab the attention more. Thanks for your interest in any case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How ironic would it be for Botha to be going through the same bail hearing process in a couple of weeks?

You couldn't make the whole thing up.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member

This thread is disintegrating into a kangaroo court with comments like this I am sorry.
This discussion has been closed.