Options

The Change - or lack of Change to Soap Themes

Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
Forum Member
Thought this might be an interesting view of what people think of the soap themes/credits over the years. Not a poll to say what your fav Theme is - that's been done countless times.

I've watched a lot over the past five decades...and have seen a lot of soaps!
But I've found that most have varied their opening titles and music as times change.

Coronation Street is the most familiar theme-tune EVER! And they have only 'tweeked' it since 1960 about three times!! It still sounds more or less the same. But they have regularly altered their opening-titles...which still feature THAT cat!! :)
Emmerdale has had a few different versions of that Tony Hatch theme. From oboe and orchestra, then to piano, then to FULL -ON orchestra, and now to a synthesised jolty version!! (Not sure about that one)
Crossroads had numerous versions of their Tony Hatch (again) theme - including incidental music too! Paul McCartney did a version for them, which lasted around 8 years on and off. A new piano-theme and new opening credits heralded the start of the 80's (well, 1985 TBH!), and by 1987 a brand NEW theme was composed - which sounded like Emmerdale!!
EastEnders, ah well here we go! NO CHANGE since day 1 !! OK they changed the theme in the mid-90's.....which I rather liked!! But reverted back to the original plinky-plonk theme again.....and has remained ever since, along with that Thames-opening!
Neighbours/ Home & Away/ Hollyoaks - I don't watch, so cannot really comment. I know they change a lot and I must say that my favourite themes from Neighbors and Home & Away are the ones from the late 80's!

I also must add: I HATE the way the endings of soaps are "Credit-Crunched" and voiced - over every night!! And ITV don't even allow their soaps to have proper end-credits.....just the generic black & white titles like the Americans do!!!>:(

Comments

• Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the old ED theme better. I'm still hoping for a return to the old style titles at some point.

The old Hollyoaks theme was infinitely better to the one used now, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember the original 'Emmerdale Farm' credits....very old-fashioned in 1972. But so are Corrie today in 2014!
    Hat's Off to Hollyoaks. They seem to be doing well at the moment too! BEST SOAP at those last awards!! I must try re-watching it!! I caught an episode the other night whilst channel-hopping - it looked good!!:)
  • Options
    Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with the themes of any soap that I have watched, but I do not like the current opening titles of Emmerdale. I was hoping the producer Kate Oates would change it after she took over from Stuart Blackburn - the one who ruined it.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be the only one who likes the new ED opening titles. Although the old ones were great but looked amazing and lush they did look dated by the end and Harry Hill sort of ruined them for me "Whose that? He's not in it, she not in it, never seen him before" :D:D:D

However I much preferred the track break (or whatever it is called) old style - where we get the end of the scene still on the characters and the writing just coming on screen before we went to the break.
    Like this
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However I much preferred the track break (or whatever it is called) old style - where we get the end of the scene still on the characters and the writing just coming on screen before we went to the break.
    Like this
    Definitely!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone miss the old-style rolling credits on ITV? (Or the criss-cross ones in Crossroads for older viewers!). They were classics in the regional days!
    Music played...no interference....no announcer! End of programme you would get the 'On Screen' announcer saying what's on next (Well you did on Tyne Tees anyway!).

ITV is sooo American these days! It is going down the wrong track!!

By the way - I too quite like the latest Emmerdale music (well - it's quite old now,,,,) but it's a bit more up-to-date than the rest!!