that magician was so nervous

Comments

• Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunny93 wrote: »
    just watching it back on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAR_WSDaV9w

at 2:11 when the magician asks simon what the word on his card says why does simon say "Its simon" :confused:

Did this confuse anyone else or did Simon just say it by accident?

Simon asked him "Do you want me to tell you?" and Jamie replied "Please, sir". Simon then says "It's Simon", as if to say call me Simon, not sir. When he said "Please, sir", you can see Simon wasn't too keen on it.

Hope he is better in the final but can't see him winning.

EDIT - just seen Mr Right answered this before my post. Glad someone else thought the same ;-)
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very suprised that he go through. As others have said, he lacked charisma and I felt the whole act was very flat. Even his big reveal at the end was greeted with silence as he stood with his back to the audience and I think people were a bit confused. TBH there was more excitement in my house when the dog was bursting the balloons! I hope he can sort out his nerves and does something a bit more original in the final.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was okay, but no more than that. David Nixon was much better.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose ideally he would have needed a stooge in the audience to confirm they'd written 'helicopter' to add some legitimacy to the trick.

I think with a bit more production and jazzing up the big reveal a bit more, they could have squeezed some kind of reaction out of the audience.

There wasn't even any kind of audible gasp that i could detect either. All just came across as a bit "Oh .. ok then ..".
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It couldn't have been easy to get a helicopter in there.
    Surely someone will comment on it at some point.

I felt sorry for him as he was so nervous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why people voted for him, but he needs to do a huge amount of work on his presentation skills, and he had no personality tbh.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It couldn't have been easy to get a helicopter in there.
    Surely someone will comment on it at some point.

I felt sorry for him as he was so nervous.

It wasn't an actual helicopter. It was half a prop helicopter. There was no other side to it.
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon asked him "Do you want me to tell you?" and Jamie replied "Please, sir". Simon then says "It's Simon", as if to say call me Simon, not sir. When he said "Please, sir", you can see Simon wasn't too keen on it.

Hope he is better in the final but can't see him winning.

EDIT - just seen Mr Right answered this before my post. Glad someone else thought the same ;-)

Don't blame him. 'Sir' is a bit formal for someone who is likely a friend of Jamie Raven's since his audition.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He won:o

He was pretty poor.

Obvious trick poorly executed.

Its been slim pickings talent wise this year :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    It wasn't an actual helicopter. It was half a prop helicopter. There was no other side to it.

Oooops........silly me.:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't blame him. 'Sir' is a bit formal for someone who is likely a friend of Jamie Raven's since his audition.

unlikely.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I thought it was harsh of simon to ask the audience who wrote helicopter! It was obvious that he knew which four words he was going to use so nobody had written those four.

I found it really unfair because its basically showing the audience the depection that allowed the trick to work. Simon wouldnt ask udi to do their performance in the light would he?

But i do think this magican lacked charisma and the act didnt flow too smoothly. It was also so predictable. I wouldve liked him to use a remote control helicopter that flew behind the banner and turned into a full sized one. The reveal took too long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day most of the voters must have liked him which is all that matters.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why WOULD Simon ask about the helicopter. Was he trying to screw it up on purpose.

Well, you could argue that, as the guy was not a frenetic, boring and repetitive street dancing act, he was not a mediocre singer , he was clearly over the age of 16, and, above all, he was not a dog act, then Simon would not be in the least interested in him.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thats what made this reveal very weak indeed.

It was obviously a lightweight plastic prop

utter garbage
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    MrRight wrote: »
    I think it was because he called him sir. It was totally unnecessary though, as was him asking who in the audience wrote helicopter.

Why was it unnecessary? I would of been more convinced of the trick if someone put their hand up, even though no one would.
  • mick rmick r Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He might be good overall but last night was terrible .He dropped a card ,called
    Alesha sir and the camera caught him with his shoe off.

https://twitter.com/Noddy_Taylor/status/603661816900771840/photo/1
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member

When are you performing your first magic act as I'm going to ruin it big time!

Oh what, you mean you don't have one and just want to appear superior on an internet forum?

Who knew!
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splitting a helicopter in half is pretty awesome.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When are you performing your first magic act as I'm going to ruin it big time!

Oh what, you mean you don't have one and just want to appear superior on an internet forum?

Who knew!

^^^ THIS.

Do people expect him to produce a real helicopter with blades going round? Ive yet to hear anyone explain the pack of cards from box he assembled at start or the goldfish-probably plastic! ^_^
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be fair to the guy.

We all know that it was just a clever conjuring trick; nobody, even in their wildest dreams thinks the "magic" really happens.

Yes, his presentation was a little nervous, but bear in mind that unlike the endless, and tiresome street dancers, he, and he alone, had to perform in close up for the whole act. Every minor error, however insignificant, will be be picked up in HD.

Did anyone criticise the dancing groups when one, or more, of the group mistimed their steps?

Performing in close up, on a show watched by millions has to be a nerve-racking experience, even for professionals.

Ant and Dec make it look easy, but they've done it for years - think of the less experienced performers.
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    egghead1 wrote: »
    ^^^ THIS.

Do people expect him to produce a real helicopter with blades going round? Ive yet to hear anyone explain the pack of cards from box he assembled at start or the goldfish-probably plastic! ^_^

The pack seemed to be double sided so probably the little flick turned it inside out.
    The cards and goldfish must have been sleight of hand. Basically lifted from a secret
    slot in his jacket or whatever then hidden until the key point. He did these pretty well
    and the goldfish bit was actually very slick. Even on repeat viewings you can't really see
    where he has made the switch.
    Be fair to the guy.

We all know that it was just a clever conjuring trick; nobody, even in their wildest dreams thinks the "magic" really happens.

Yes, his presentation was a little nervous, but bear in mind that unlike the endless, and tiresome street dancers, he, and he alone, had to perform in close up for the whole act. Every minor error, however insignificant, will be be picked up in HD.

Did anyone criticise the dancing groups when one, or more, of the group mistimed their steps?

Performing in close up, on a show watched by millions has to be a nerve-racking experience, even for professionals.

Ant and Dec make it look easy, but they've done it for years - think of the less experienced performers.

I guess it seems he is getting a hard time (including from me) but this is the nature of performing.
    I really like magic acts so was looking forward to him. I don't even tend to watch the show.
    It was just a bit disappointing as it could have been so much better. Hopefully he does
    well in the final.

I also get your point that at least he isn't a tedious dance troupe or dog act.
    I suppose you could argue that he has at least got people discussing it rather than just...meh.
  • Alex_McNameeAlex_McNamee Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, unfortunately, that Jamie just didn't have great showmanship.
    I really like him and vetted him to win from the beginning, but the way he did things gave the impression that he, himself, was not sure of whether the right thing had happened or not. If he had had more confidence he would've pulled it off and we'd be less skeptical about his act. But he was so nervous and that really seemed to overrule everything.
  • ThugAngelThugAngel Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was complete rubbish from start to finish, staged and fake.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    The pack seemed to be double sided so probably the little flick turned it inside out.
    The cards and goldfish must have been sleight of hand. Basically lifted from a secret
    slot in his jacket or whatever then hidden until the key point. He did these pretty well
    and the goldfish bit was actually very slick. Even on repeat viewings you can't really see
    where he has made the switch.

I guess it seems he is getting a hard time (including from me) but this is the nature of performing.
    I really like magic acts so was looking forward to him. I don't even tend to watch the show.
    It was just a bit disappointing as it could have been so much better. Hopefully he does
    well in the final.

I also get your point that at least he isn't a tedious dance troupe or dog act.
    I suppose you could argue that he has at least got people discussing it rather than just...meh.

I'm pretty sure it was a prop glass - you can sort of see him removing the divider with the hankie he uses to cover it.

I'd have to watch the cards again to see how he did it so I will concede that one wasn't obvious on first watch:D But it'll either be a prop or slight of hand.