"No God" Adverts To Be Posted On Buses

Comments

• edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't do any good, but good for them for trying it anyway.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, why not? Im for this type of thing.
    Churches advertise god, jesus athists can do the same, hense visit mywebsite
    http://www.cultofrandom.com
    I got trapped by a bunch of scientologists in town today and then gave them leaflets for my cult.
    It'll raise a few eyebrows get a few feathers ruffled etc but in the long run i doubt most people will notice or care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a fantastic idea! its about time they did something like this!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised the advert says "There's probably no God" and not There is no God.
  • Psalm SpadePsalm Spade Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why am I not surprised that Richard Dawkins is behind this?

But to be fair, Christians do have loads of people who go around knocking on doors, and open-air preachers who shout things at people (i.e. "You're going to burn in Hell!"). Christians have been converting people ever since the days of the Roman Empire.

So why would it be wrong for athiests to put an advert on a bus?

Actually the BHA are 'behind' the idea. RD supports it, as do I.

Maybe we should all do as the slogan suggests:

"There's probably no God.
    Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    I'm surprised the advert says "There's probably no God" and not There is no God.

It should say that but probably is the obvious compromise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should say that but probably is the obvious compromise.

Or is it a case of they are not 100% sure?:rolleyes:
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last week, an Alpha Course ad.
    So Dawkin's ad is in response to this singular ad last week?

Childish?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has to be 1 of the best ideas since sliced bread. For ever since I can remember we have had to put up with people standing in the street reading from the bible & preaching of our wrongs.

We have also had to put up with Jehovah Witnesses knocking on our door bringing us so called good news.

It is about time non believers had chance to advertise their thoughts.

I welcome this with open arms :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »

Childish?

I don't think that's the claim, no.

Dishonest?
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The message says - so stop worrying and get on with your life. So presumably it's a call to anybody whose life is being messed up through worrying about religion.

A good thing then - but a limited audience I should think. And of course because it's directed at people who 'half' believe in God it's a call to faith. To have faith that atheism will give your life more meaning.

I hope there's some support network then for the people who heed the message. Otherwise it's quite irresponsible.

Of course it might just be two fingers to religion masquerading as something else. But that would be childish wouldn't it:rolleyes:
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you read the thread, you would be less surprised.
    solenoid wrote: »

Childish?
    Yes, the entire campaign is based around the one ad I saw last Thursday at 6pm. There have been no other Alpha Course or other religious adverts anywhere.
  • thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good thing then - but a limited audience I should think. And of course because it's directed at people who 'half' believe in God it's a call to faith. To have faith that atheism will give your life more meaning

Where does it state atheism will give you life 'more meaning'?
  • Liberals NestLiberals Nest Posts: 255
    Forum Member

<snip>

Of course it might just be two fingers to religion masquerading as something else. But that would be childish wouldn't it:rolleyes:

Pish, too much effort would go into raising two fingers to religion!

dashes off to mock up a picture

They will have to settle with one :D
  • Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great stuff - brilliant way to entice debate.

There's a difference between enticing debate and going out of the way to stir the pot.

I really don't think this type of thing is appropriate in our current climate when there's so much tension between religious and non-religious groups anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the cut definitions of agnostic/atheist as everyone has differing scales

Where I stand. I dismiss all religion texts as nothing more than fairly tale rubbish. I think everything came from the big-bang and that everything can ultimately be explained with science and logic. Not yet but ultimately can be.

I dismiss religious texts as complete horses**t. However like many people of the sciences I do not deny there is no explanation to what became before the universe and what it was that created the Higgs boson. I.E something had to jump start creation itself. God? I dunno no one does. Something did for sure but that will always be impossible to answer, but I don't think an invisible man made everything with magic etc and you will be reward/punlished in the afterlife, total rubbish. Nothing but the biggest con is the history of creation.

Now that does make me an atheist and not agnostic.

You may qualify as a deist. LOL

You dismiss all manmade religions as pure nonsense and their concepts of God. You may believe there is something, but not in any way shape or form is it some magic being in another dimension.

A school kid who grows a plant in class may be a god to the plant if it developed intelligence and conciousness, we would know the child isn't.

Maybe 'God' is some distant being who simply created us without any real concept of what we do here. We could be the size of a bacteria compared to this being, why would anything we do register?

Its the arrogance of man where religion was born. We are clever therefore God loves us and made us in his image.

BS
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This proposed advertising smacks of desperation by the Humanist/Dawkins society for converts. And they say the Church indoctrinates? :D
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does it state atheism will give you life 'more meaning'?

I knew I'd get pulled up on that one! You're right it doesn't. So presumably the message would be stop- worrying about a meaningful existence and just enjoy it.

That's not bad actually! I'll go for that for a while:)
  • jaek123456jaek123456 Posts: 8,410
    Forum Member
    Why am I not surprised that Richard Dawkins is behind this?

But to be fair, Christians do have loads of people who go around knocking on doors, and open-air preachers who shout things at people (i.e. "You're going to burn in Hell!"). Christians have been converting people ever since the days of the Roman Empire.

So why would it be wrong for athiests to put an advert on a bus?

i'm a firm believer in christianity and noone i know does it.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    This proposed advertising smacks of desperation by the Humanist/Dawkins society for converts. And they say the Church indoctrinates? :D

You may be right, though the churches must be even more desperate. The huge majority of people in UK are too busy reading 'Hello' to give a shit about religion or atheism. Some thought of any kind should surely be welcomed by all faiths, or lack of them.
  • GayAtheistGayAtheist Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hardly. Are they asking people to attend a church or believe in a holy book? No. Its telling people to get on with their lives, as there probably isn't a god anyway. Indoctrination? What an exaggeration. They are not brainwashing with threats of eternal damnation!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

It's recognising the fact that no-one can factually state that god doesn't exist, anymore than it can be factually stated that it does, or that Russel's flying teapot does/doesn't.

It also saves him the hassle of being sued.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    This proposed advertising smacks of desperation by the Humanist/Dawkins society for converts.

And they say the Church indoctrinates? :D

Are you seriously comparing those two lines in the ad with the Church's endless and relentless quest for converts/believers? :confused:

How does saying stop worrying and enjoy life fit into the indoctrination idea? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they say the Church indoctrinates? :D

Yes, they say that because it's true.

The church has had 2,000 years of forcing its outmoded and life-diminishing views on others. It's time for people who think differently to say something for a change. Not frightened, are you?;)
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody who bases their thinking on science and logic is ever 100% sure. That's how we get progress.