• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with believing in God?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see where the OP has said there is anything wrong with believing in God?
  • Options
    galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard either Alex or JLS's version and don't plan to but I shudder to think how much of the original lyrics have been cut out if people are thinking this is a song about religion!
  • Options
    A CillayA Cillay Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    It was most certainly not in a religious context.

I think there still going on this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak8JMOramKM
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine that the "God Squad" - by which I assume you mean Christian extremists - already know what the song is about. I'm sure they've looked into it.

There's nothing wrong with believing in God, however, and I'm surprised you or anyone else would have a problem with (apparently) everyone who does. Why shouldn't they be allowed to believe in whoever or whatever they want? It's a personal decision which everyone has a right to.:)
  • Options
    SoggyFroggySoggyFroggy Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is the song actually about??
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    sex and orgasm!! :eek: check out the other threads! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'God Squad' aren't stupid, most Christian's know what the song's about
  • Options
    xenosysxenosys Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The God Squad ... they good?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    xenosys wrote: »

Yes, they're a very good christian band. Better than Blazing Squad IMO.
  • Options
    amanduhamanduh Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a proud member of the God Squad Gilliedew and I'm underwhelmed I have to say!
    Some of us Bible bashers have brains and computers AND even t'internet some of us... honest!

I googled the lyrics on Saturday and found em a bit befuddled, talking about David, then Samson, then love, then letting someone down, but not doing it on purpose etc etc... found it all a bit depressing to be honest, but as a friend told me, that was Leonard Cohen's trademark apparently. (Not sure if that's true).

However, I like the song in its own right, good tune, haunting even, but I don't think it's all about orgasms as some are claiming.

I think the only people who'll be overwhelmed by it as you put it are more likely to be someone like Mr C who no doubt heard 'hallejuah' in it and thought- that'll do well for Christmas and looked no deeper. (Apologies to Mr C if I've misrepresented him).

Liked what one wag wrote about it actually being about Mr C when it says "You don't care much for music do ya?" certainly seems that way doesn't it.

Merry CHRISTmas by the way!!
  • Options
    franknhonestfranknhonest Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    How do you know Samson ever really existed?

;)

Jon.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xenosys wrote: »

They got to Boot Camp last year :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil McCormack writing in The Telegraph:

It is, in many respects, a song for every occasion. Rufus Wainwright has said, "It's an easy song to sing. The music never pummels the words. The melody is almost liturgical and conjures up religious feelings. It's purifying." It was not, however, an easy song to write. When he works, Cohen explores every lyrical permutation, sometimes completely finishing verses then discarding them. He claims there are at least 80 verses to Hallelujah. "I filled two notebooks and I remember being in the Royalton Hotel [in New York], on the carpet in my underwear, banging my head on the floor and saying, 'I can't finish this song.'"

He has actually recorded two distinct versions, with almost completely different lyrics, and it is partly this that lends the song its openness to interpretation, as artists mix and match verses. It subtly alters over time to reflect the needs of the moment.

Appropriately, in its original version on Cohen's 1984 album Various Positions, Hallelujah is, partially, about the act of songwriting itself. Cohen invokes the Biblical story of King David (composer of psalms and so the original songwriter) and the woman whose beauty overthrew him, Bathsheba. The protagonist offers up his "sacred chord" to a lover whose indifference to art is expressed in the put-down, "You don't really care for music, do ya?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    amanduh wrote: »
    I'm a proud member of the God Squad Gilliedew and I'm underwhelmed I have to say!
    Some of us Bible bashers have brains and computers AND even t'internet some of us... honest!

I googled the lyrics on Saturday and found em a bit befuddled, talking about David, then Samson, then love, then letting someone down, but not doing it on purpose etc etc... found it all a bit depressing to be honest, but as a friend told me, that was Leonard Cohen's trademark apparently. (Not sure if that's true).

However, I like the song in its own right, good tune, haunting even, but I don't think it's all about orgasms as some are claiming.

I think the only people who'll be overwhelmed by it as you put it are more likely to be someone like Mr C who no doubt heard 'hallejuah' in it and thought- that'll do well for Christmas and looked no deeper. (Apologies to Mr C if I've misrepresented him).

Liked what one wag wrote about it actually being about Mr C when it says "You don't care much for music do ya?" certainly seems that way doesn't it.

Merry CHRISTmas by the way!!

Strictly speaking the word 'hallujah' and the stories about Samson/David predate Christianity and are a part of Jewish tradition as well. Since Cohen is Jewish I doubt very much he meant the song to be some kind of Christian anthem.

I agree with you about SC and I suspect that a vast number of people don't listen to the lyrics of songs -I'm sure if the X Factor winner recorded a version of the Sex Pistols song 'God save the Queen' a large % of viewers would think it was a patriotic song about the royal family :rolleyes:
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's rather offensive to refer to anyone as the God Squad.

I can only imagine the uproar if this was aimed at any other followers of faith than Christians.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    galena wrote: »
    Strictly speaking the word 'hallujah' and the stories about Samson/David predate Christianity and are a part of Jewish tradition as well.

The Old Testament is full of sex and violence. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He won Britain's Got Talent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

;)

Jon.

How do you know that he didn't?
    ;)
  • Options
    hotpotatohotpotato Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's rather offensive to refer to anyone as the God Squad.

I can only imagine the uproar if this was aimed at any other followers of faith than Christians.

LOL are you for real?
  • Options
    Mr DoodlesMr Doodles Posts: 1,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know Sampson ever really existed?

Coz the annoying little pratt won BGT!! ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ibeca wrote: »
    He won Britain's Got Talent.

Sorry I didn't watch the show and I see no evidence of his existence in the charts so I shall have to remain sceptical :cool: