Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I retired from one of the large national banks, and while they drove you crazy sometimes with some of the bullcrap, they did have an extremely generous maternity policy. As long as the mother and/or father had been with the bank for one year as of the date of birth, they EACH got 12 weeks paid leave.

I thought it was really progressive that every man working for the bank had this coverage. They were also very progressive in offering full benefits to same sex partners.

I work for large employer and they offer the same for us mgmt it is a great comfort
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    And there was something as well that Sally T. says about the Sawle sisters about a love-triangle that she references near Eleanor... Where Sally and Eleanor in a tussle over a guy? That's what I thought.

Rob

I thought she was referring to her & LG being in love with that same man = DM.

By the conversation she had with Elenor (which is a great scene!) that Elenor was very popular with the boys & poor Mrs T was always overlooked. And could never attract the attention of any male whilst Elenor was around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    New photos by Stowaway Tea Shopped on Facebook show shots of MC dressed as DM, but relaxing in between takes.

He by no means looks at all cachetic, but actually his face is nicely filled out.

Here's one link which may or may not work: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=161567457235925&set=a.156069011119103.33787.152017704857567&type=1&theater

This pic is 2011
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Are there ones from this season's filming? All I see are the ones from 2011. I recognise the keepers of the tea room from my visit to Port Isaac, and also many of their photos from their wall display and post card stand. I notice "Large" is the surname of the woman who runs the shop. I wonder if she was the inspiration for Bert's surname or if it is just a common Cornwall name. The shopkeeper in Tintagel that carries DM merchandise has a personal connection with MC (her partner is his fitness trainer when he's down in Cornwall). I wonder if this couple has a personal connection that goes beyond an apparent concern with dog-rescue? With so few shops carrying the DM merchandise, there is probably something which has led to the selection of this one.

They moved there in 2009, so no connection (they are originally from the Midlands). My understanding is that they pushed to have a shop in PI that sold merchandise to accommodate the incoming tourists looking to see "Portwenn". Although they do supply coffee to the cast and crew so have probably made friends over the last few seasons. (What I learned was that the catering trucks make fantastic food and snacks and some of the worst coffee in Britain. That's why the film people eat at the set, but head into the local shops for coffee and tea.)
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    They moved there in 2009, so no connection (they are originally from the Midlands). My understanding is that they pushed to have a shop in PI that sold merchandise to accommodate the incoming tourists looking to see "Portwenn". Although they do supply coffee to the cast and crew so have probably made friends over the last few seasons. (What I learned was that the catering trucks make fantastic food and snacks and some of the worst coffee in Britain. That's why the film people eat at the set, but head into the local shops for coffee and tea.)

Yes, mazzieblue, and I found the link: http://www.stowawaysportisaac.co.uk/giftshoppe.php
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    And there was something as well that Sally T. says about the Sawle sisters about a love-triangle that she references near Eleanor... Where Sally and Eleanor in a tussle over a guy? That's what I thought.

Rob

Rob, I thought that the analogy that she was making was between her and Louisa in a triangle with DM. She was the plain but smart and good one, while Louisa was the pretty, unworthy one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    **Greta** wrote: »
    By the conversation she had with Elenor (which is a great scene!) that Elenor was very popular with the boys & poor Mrs T was always overlooked. And could never attract the attention of any male whilst Elenor was around.

I'm not too sure about Mrs. T always being overlooked. In an earlier series she reminds LG not to wait for too long, as it might be too late to get a partner. Mrs. T then says that in her case "boys did look". Of course, that might have been wishful thinking, but maybe she had her share of interested young man.
    I read the conversation between Eleanor and Sally more like a crash of morals - Eleanor using people only focussing on her own happiness, and Sally more bound to her duty, rationally judging her actions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, mazzieblue, and I found the link: http://www.stowawaysportisaac.co.uk/giftshoppe.php

"Some of the merchandise designed by MC himself". I wonder if he designed the fish-in-the-mouth stuff???? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. Now we have reached the last episode, and something still continues to raise questions for me.

At the end of the previous episode, we saw a back-door meeting between LG and DM in which DM at the least didn't pick up on Louisa's overtures, and perhaps even ignored them. At the beginning of that episode, he tells AR that he intends to respect Louisa's decision not to go to London with him.

But early in this episode, there is another back-door scene when Louisa asks him to look after JH the next day when he is virtually falling all over himself to prolong the contact, he promises to come down every weekend, and it is pretty clear that he is now wanting some way back to a relationship with her.

So what changed (other than the necessity of it being E8 and time to wrap up the season)? fishmonger? only?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    But early in this episode, there is another back-door scene when Louisa asks him to look after JH the next day when he is virtually falling all over himself to prolong the contact, he promises to come down every weekend, and it is pretty clear that he is now wanting some way back to a relationship with her.

So what changed (other than the necessity of it being E8 and time to wrap up the season)? fishmonger? only?

I can tell you what have changed - Louisa offered him contact, he didn't have to ask for it.
    I guess DM will never ask for any favour, not even for his right to be part of his son's life.
    He wants to be part of his life, though, and when Louisa tells him she expects him to visit James, then it's exactly what DM wants to hear.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the back door meetings at the end of S5 and now S6 being filmed, just what will the dialogue be between DM and LG to just discussing The Christening to now both agreeing to marry? Will it be an accident, an illness or something completely out of the range of my logical thinking--that is, if I have any left at this point!!
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. Now we have reached the last episode, and something still continues to raise questions for me.

At the end of the previous episode, we saw a back-door meeting between LG and DM in which DM at the least didn't pick up on Louisa's overtures, and perhaps even ignored them. At the beginning of that episode, he tells AR that he intends to respect Louisa's decision not to go to London with him.

Personally, I think it's because there was a different writer and director from ep7 to ep8. I get the feeling that ep8 was written before ep7. The progression from the last ep7 final scene, to the first encounter of ep8 was a hugely unexplained jump for me. I was relieved by the change because there was so much tension going on since ep2. While I was very happy to see the change, it came out of nowhere for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @FakeShowbizNews: Martin Clunes to front new ITV documentary in which he goes in search of the world's largest cuckoo clock. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leanne EllulDoc Martin (Martin Clunes) Fan Club

Hi all. I'm in port Isaac right now and tomorrow. I heard there was filming today with Al. Also Martin should be filming tomorrow. I heard he's been unwell and had a week off. Let's hope he's better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been listening to RocktheDoc Podcasts, and it's amazing to me how much more of the dialogue I pick up when I can only hear voices in those clips.

The dialogue between the presenters gets increasingly off on tangents over time, it seems to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob, I thought that the analogy that she was making was between her and Louisa in a triangle with DM. She was the plain but smart and good one, while Louisa was the pretty, unworthy one.

Yeah, we meet the Sawle sisters and Eleanor in two different seasons, Sawles in S3 and Eleanor in S5. NewPark, yes, I got that impression too, that Sally saw herself as the older smart choice and she likened LG to the younger, prettier one. The fellow's poor choice, in Sally's mind, somehow leads to his getting "splat!" hit by the tram.:D
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Yeah, we meet the Sawle sisters and Eleanor in two different seasons, Sawles in S3 and Eleanor in S5. NewPark, yes, I got that impression too, that Sally saw herself as the older smart choice and she likened LG to the younger, prettier one. The fellow's poor choice, in Sally's mind, somehow leads to his getting "splat!" hit by the tram.:D

I think maybe the sensible sister pushed him into the train tracks that he didn't see. Just as her co-workers kept dying off at her work place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Oh, sorry, I have no idea. Those just showed up on my Facebook page and I assumed, apparently erroneously, they showed up due to recent filming. I'm sorry for sending out archaic photos.

That's okay. I can't figure out facebook these days. Completely confusing. Old things go to the top, new things are in the middle somewhere, and the next time I open it, everything has been scrambled around again. Once upon a time, it made sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm in port Isaac right now and tomorrow. I heard there was filming today with Al. Also Martin should be filming tomorrow. I heard he's been unwell and had a week off. Let's hope he's better!

This is our Leannethemouse, right?

Unwell? He should go see the local GP ;)! No more weight loss, I hope.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To Mrs. Tishell, it's not just that she's smart, but she is in medicine, reads up on the medical journals, can engage DM on his level (just about) about medical research, is up on drugs and their connections to various diseases, and so forth. Wouldn't DM want to be around her with his brain and have an equal along those lines, instead of school teacher who only has looks going for her?

You know, I just realized that Mrs. T is really like Edith--she is much more on DM's medical level. No doubt her age, her looks (sorry Mrs. T), her cervical collar, and the complete lack of sexual chemistry he had for her kept DM from having any interest in her, while he did seem to relish his medical level connection with Edith.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this stateside fan. I had to quit the group because posts kept turning up in my facebook news feed despite blocking it & following instructions on how to stop this : (
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @FakeShowbizNews: Martin Clunes to front new ITV documentary in which he goes in search of the world's largest cuckoo clock. :p

Another funny - there is a (new?) Wikipedia type site with funny stuff and it has a Martin Clunes page:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Martin_Clunes
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this stateside fan. I had to quit the group because posts kept turning up in my facebook news feed despite blocking it & following instructions on how to stop this : (

I know - what's up with that? I belong to three groups, and a month or so ago, some (only some for some reason) posts from those groups started showing up in my news feed. Luckily I really only use it to keep up with family and really close friends so it isn't too bad for me. But it has to be a real hardship for heavy FB users.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    This is our Leannethemouse, right?

Unwell? He should go see the local GP ;)! No more weight loss, I hope.

Yes that's me. I am there tomorrow as well. I have to do the 4/6 hour drive back home tomorrow so I am hoping to catch some filming in the morning.

I was listening to the Rock The Doc podcast on the last episode and they said that DM says "darling" during the end speech to Mrs T. Now I cannot hear it, does anyone else? When does he say it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's me. I am there tomorrow as well. I have to do the 4/6 hour drive back home tomorrow so I am hoping to catch some filming in the morning.

I was listening to the Rock The Doc podcast on the last episode and they said that DM says "darling" during the end speech to Mrs T. Now I cannot hear it, does anyone else? When does he say it?

Darling??? Nah, I don't think so. I'll listen again, but I don't think so. Maybe our Rock the Doc friends were being silly. I need to listen.
This discussion has been closed.