Hollyoaks General Discussion (Part 21)

Comments

• GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    Baban wrote: »
    As this is my 1000th post I decided to give a full blown view on Oaks atm to you guys (please enjoy despite the length):

Always interesting to read a review on Hollyoaks- and I think you make some really interesting points though my views are actually fairly different to yours.

Nancy/Robbie/Darren/Sienna

Ok so Sienna going back to how she was before is annoying me. Although the Osborne stuff was good and had me hooked it was drawn out so there's really no need to go back there. They should've just had Tom sympathise with Sienna in court and she gets off due to her mental illnes. Would've made a lot more sense. Nancy and Darren are both frustrating me in their own ways atm, Nancy with her stubbornness and Darren with his careless attitude to his partner. Darren should still be grovelling after the last time he believed Sienna over his wife instead of going round in circles again. Nancy and Robbie is pure ridicule, if she has slept with him I'll be so angry, AS IF she'd go there after what happened with Becca! However I think it might be Rick she slept with, which is why Sienna seduces him next week. Nancy and Darren can't just cheat on eachother though, they work best when they're at their best, not quarrelling like people twice their age.

I'm of the opinion that Darren and Nancy should be over. I never really bought just how quickly they got back together after everything that happened- and the enjoy ability of their relationship has gone for me. I would also really like Nancy and Robbie to have slept together. I love the echoes of Justin and Becca it brings, and also feel it could potentially facilitate a return for Chris Fountain. Whilst it would by all means have impXt if it were Rick- the ramifications of it being Robbie could make for a much better storyline if handled well and not made into the farce that Freddie and Lindsay were.

The McQueens

Bored, bored, boreder. I can stand Nana McQueen but not when she's screeching about the house non stop. How did they afford a 3-5 bed house anyway? JP isn't working atm, neither is Carmel or Mercedes and Sonny (shouldn't be) earning much as he's still very young and can't have been a police officer for too long. Of course because this is hollyoaks he's practically the only member of the police force in Chester. But whatever. Phoebe is a good addition but I can't help feel that they bring her down. JP is my favourite McQueen I think, partly because he's the only sane one.

I agree with this. I'm over the Mcqueens. I used to love them as a unit but their constant money dramas are not doing it for me. JP is my main favourite but really they all need to be given some purpose and this storyline is doing them no justice. I also hate Sonny so anything that gets him off my screen is better than what we are being dealt now.

Nico/Sienna

Love this sl. Hope they have a good relationship and they help bring Patrick down. Nico is a good way to get Sienna away from the Osbournes also.

Patrick/Maxine

Hate to say it but this sl is borint me. It has some great moments and some terrible ones, like when Nancy and Darren thought Maxine was beating Patrick - really?! I hope Maxine doesn't have the baby as I don't want anything that ties her to Patrick for the rest of her life, as much as I think she already loves her baby. She could work with Dodger but they'd have to be careful with that one.

This is working we as a slow burner but they need to bring it to the fore more. Block storytelling works with this to a point but I can't help but feel the show is wasting the talents of two of their stronger actors.

Roscoes

Ziggy is crap, Freddie is OTT and Joe is too Mr Hard Family Man for me. Lindsey is good but I prefer her with Freddie rather than Joe, however her relationship with both has been affectively ruined to a point. Robbie can be ok when he's not acting like a pathetic weasel and chasing after Nancy like a lovesick puppy and Jason used to be good but now I find him a bit of a drip tbh, however his body dysmorphia is probably one of the most real things in hollyoaks atm. Sad that Sandy is leaving as she's a great matriarch, I don't think the Roscoes have much longer left without Sandy if I'm honest.

Truly, what was the point of Sandy. A year on what has she done apart from annoy us with Fraser? Ziggy I quite like but he needs more material. Joe and Lindsay full of potential but ruined in my opinion by the failed Lindsay and Freddie attempt. This ruined all three of them. Freddie, Jason and Robbie all have the makings to be good characters I do not dislike Freddie as much as others do but feel he needs his own story. Jason and Robbie again lots going on which could cement them as good characters but the body Dysmorphia story has not been as strong as I previously hoped.

Blessing/Dennis

Love Blessing, hate Dennis. Blessing has been a great addition, the actress is brilliant and can do comedy and drama, which is always a good thing in a soap. I just haven't warmed to Dennis though since Leanne died. Can't wait till he leaves and Blessing can continue her sl without him bringing her down.

I never like Dennis until recently. He's now fast becoming one of my favourite characters. I also adore Blessing. She is unique, and feisty and the actress is very capable. Definitely one of the best finds from the last year or so.

JP/Finn

When I heard about this sl, I thought it would be great, which it initially was. But it blew up into this great big, unrealistic mess of accusations and affairs. The continuity has been terrible, did I dream this or did 'Robbie' (really Finn) not accuse JP of sexual harrasment? What happened to this? Is anyone going to mention it? I wouldn't be surprised if we got a scene where Finn and JP happily brush shoulders in price slice tbh. Finn needs to be brought down by super cop Sam Lomax with the help of Sinead and fast. Can't abide the little creep any longer. JP needs his job back, his self respect back and his confidence.

I honestly thought this would be so much better than it has. Seven months in and we have had less than ten rape related episodes. It's farcical. Finn has had slightly more luck, they have shown him become sinister and warped but we as viewers have seen very little in the way of consequences for JP and it's frustrating to say the least. There is a lot of work needed to redeem this and I have my doubts over whether they can manage or not. I would like to see some good strong development between Ste and JP (who I love as a couple) and some proper drama to tidy this up now.

and finally...

Please axe Frankie Osborne. That is all.

NEVER has a character been so utterly dislikeable. I'm not sure why she has been written quite that nastily.

Anyway, good review there's still lots more to discuss. The Lomaxes and Cindy for example. Also unless the finale has significant ramifications what on Earth was the point of "Who Killed Fraser?"
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Nancy slept with Robbie, doesn't that mean she slept with TWO of Darren's brothers? Didn't she also have a one-night-stand with Joe?
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goosebee wrote: »
    NEVER has a character been so utterly dislikeable. I'm not sure why she has been written quite that nastily.

Anyway, good review there's still lots more to discuss. The Lomaxes and Cindy for example. Also unless the finale has significant ramifications what on Earth was the point of "Who Killed Fraser?"

Thanks for the reply, some interesting points! I agree about Sandy and Frankie definitely. I knew there was still stuff left to talk about that I forgot:(
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Nancy slept with Robbie, doesn't that mean she slept with TWO of Darren's brothers? Didn't she also have a one-night-stand with Joe?

yep, Nancy slept with Joe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad they had the scene where Frankie was vile to Blessing. It showed the viewpoints of those who aren't so accepting, people who do exist in this society. Frankie was the voice for the people who really don't understand.

And it gave us that scene where Frankie went round to talk to Blessing and Blessing talked out her feelings and proved wrong some of Frankie's misconceptions, such that it is a 'choice' and a 'phase', which of course many people also think.

Also we got a mention of Craig and Esther, I forgot Craig was with a woman now :eek:
    And Frankie's comment about Esther goes to show that she is even more deluded and than we gave credit for!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,973
    Forum Member
    I'm glad they had the scene where Frankie was vile to Blessing. It showed the viewpoints of those who aren't so accepting, people who do exist in this society. Frankie was the voice for the people who really don't understand.

And it gave us that scene where Frankie went round to talk to Blessing and Blessing talked out her feelings and proved wrong some of Frankie's misconceptions, such that it is a 'choice' and a 'phase', which of course many people also think.

Also we got a mention of Craig and Esther, I forgot Craig was with a woman now :eek:
    And Frankie's comment about Esther goes to show that she is even more deluded and than we gave credit for!

It was very uncomfortable viewing but I do agree with this, sadly. I'm glad they they are showing all viewpoints, however disgusting some of them may be.

B.I.B - So had I! Poor John Paul. I expect that was a kick in the teeth.
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    B.I.B - So had I! Poor John Paul. I expect that was a kick in the teeth.

Only because he never accepted Craig was bisexual and insisted he was gay. It's not like JP's struggled to move on - he's fallen "in love" with three people already!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Only because he never accepted Craig was bisexual and insisted he was gay. It's not like JP's struggled to move on - he's fallen "in love" with three people already!

I'm not sure if I'd even label Craig as bisexual, we never saw him show any interest for any other male than JP, I think of him as a straight man who fell in love with his best friend
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if I'd even label Craig as bisexual, we never saw him show any interest for any other male than JP, I think of him as a straight man who fell in love with his best friend

Agreed actually, I was simplifying it.
  • Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    I always found it bizarre how angry John Paul was that Craig didn't label himself as gay. Had he never hurt of bisexuality? :confused:
    Forum Member
    I always found it bizarre how angry John Paul was that Craig didn't label himself as gay. Had he never hurt of bisexuality? :confused:

It was barely even addressed by the show - it was only mentioned once by Jake Dean. And even then Craig denied it (which as QuidditchBabe pointed out seems accurate).

According to Guy Burnet on his return in 2008 they were planning on writing it that on his year at uni he had tried to make a go of it with another bloke but Guy didn't think it was true to who Craig was (he said in another interview he'd wanted Craig's sexuality to be 'shades of grey' for viewers who were the same). I'm glad that they didn't suddenly make Craig gay outright.
    Forum Member
    It was barely even addressed by the show - it was only mentioned once by Jake Dean. And even then Craig denied it (which as QuidditchBabe pointed out seems accurate).

According to Guy Burnet on his return in 2008 they were planning on writing it that on his year at uni he had tried to make a go of it with another bloke but Guy didn't think it was true to who Craig was (he said in another interview he'd wanted Craig's sexuality to be 'shades of grey' for viewers who were the same). I'm glad that they didn't suddenly make Craig gay outright.

I remember when John Paul was outraged at the airport when he heard Craig deny he was gay. Poor John Paul and his narrow mind :p

Guy had a good grasp of his character. If we need a label then bisexual is probably the most accurate, but I always thought of him as John Paul sexual :D I'm still a bit bitter about how they were split up. BK putting a picture of a sunset on the bus was like rubbing salt in the wound. Should of known the awfulness that was to come from that one thing alone...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that Nancy and Darren are engaged again, I got thinking - when did their divorce actually go through? The last I remember they got some sort of papers out but it wasn't the final say yet, and not long after that he was finished with Sienna and trying to get back with Nancy (and he did, not long after) so I thought the divorce never went through.
    Forum Member
    Now that Nancy and Darren are engaged again, I got thinking - when did their divorce actually go through? The last I remember they got some sort of papers out but it wasn't the final say yet, and not long after that he was finished with Sienna and trying to get back with Nancy (and he did, not long after) so I thought the divorce never went through.

I might be wrong, but I don't think they actually got divorced. I think they're just renewing their vows.
  • Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member

I agree, that kind of annoyed me.
    Forum Member

I agree
    Forum Member
    I agree, that kind of annoyed me.

It's like he always thought Craig was lying to himself and that only gay and straight existed in his mind.
    Forum Member
    It's like he always thought Craig was lying to himself and that only gay and straight existed in his mind.

I agree, it's like bisexuality and other sexuality's such as pansexuality don't exist. Tbh I wouldn't even label Craig bisexual. I think he just fell in love with his best friend who happened to be male. If anything he was JP-sexual :)
    Forum Member
    I agree, it's like bisexuality and other sexuality's such as pansexuality don't exist. Tbh I wouldn't even label Craig bisexual. I think he just fell in love with his best friend who happened to be male. If anything he was JP-sexual :)

I said that too :D
    Forum Member
    I said that too :D

I don't think pansexuality or bisexuality have ever been addressed in soaps. It's either gay or straight.
    Forum Member
    I don't think pansexuality or bisexuality have ever been addressed in soaps. It's either gay or straight.

They had the Nancy/Ravi/Krys storyline and Danny's bisexual, but they always seem to link bisexuality with cheating.
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but how the hell did JP get a new job? He was in prison for assulting a student and was accused of grooming Robbie? Seems very unrealistic that he'd get a job teaching so soon after prison
    Forum Member
    Baban wrote: »
    I'm sorry but how the hell did JP get a new job? He was in prison for assulting a student and was accused of grooming Robbie? Seems very unrealistic that he'd get a job teaching so soon after prison

The same way that Browning got reinstated at the hospital even after he'd been to prison for murder. Realism goes out of the window.
    Forum Member
    They had the Nancy/Ravi/Krys storyline and Danny's bisexual, but they always seem to link bisexuality with cheating.

I forgot about the Nancy/Ravi/Krys storyline. Wasn't Krys bisexual, or was he gay?

I also don't really like the whole Danny bisexuality thing. It's kind of like he is using bisexuality as an excuse to sleep with other men. Like you said, they usually seem to link bisexuality with cheating.
    Forum Member
    I forgot about the Nancy/Ravi/Krys storyline. Wasn't Krys bisexual, or was he gay?

I also don't really like the whole Danny bisexuality thing. It's kind of like he is using bisexuality as an excuse to sleep with other men. Like you said, they usually seem to link bisexuality with cheating.

Bisexual.

I know! I guess everyone cheats on the show, gay, straight, bisexual or otherwise, but still. It sort of just reinforces the stereotype.