Comments

• DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Classic Dragon's Den error. Demonstrate a website

http://frameagain.com/

...and it gives a "Error establishing a database connection"

To be fair that's probably because the web service has been designed to be resilient under normal conditions, not the unique conditions of suddenly having your website being 'advertised' directly to several million people.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piers is such a follower.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Put the £30 towards a camera photo printer and print and frame to your hearts content.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    To be fair that's probably because the web service has been designed to be resilient under normal conditions, not the unique conditions of suddenly having your website being 'advertised' directly to several million people.

But if you know your site is going to be on national TV then you prepare for it. Even if that means just putting up a static placeholder for a few hours.
    Forum Member
    Peter Jones can now steal and implement their idea.
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Evan - next time you throw your suit in the washing machine, try the 'Cool' wash setting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Peter Jones can now steal and implement their idea.

Online photo framing isn't exactly a copyrightable idea - especially a business that only offered one design and a high price tag. Plenty of businesses are already doing it.
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    Put the £30 towards a camera photo printer and print and frame to your hearts content.

Do-It-Yourself for £43 on Amazon
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan's out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2685181/Im-says-Bannatyne-Dragon-No-nonsense-health-club-boss-quits-12-series.html

Next series will be his last. Think we saw it coming really but still a shame. Leaves Peter as the only original Dragon.

Stumbled accross this interview with Duncan from last year. Interestingly.....

But after eleven series, it doesn't look like this long-serving Dragon is ready to leave the Den anytime soon. "I would do it if a project came up, but it's very difficult to see how you could beat Dragons' Den as a business show.

I guess the correct project came up!
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They refused Peters offer, must be mad. Who would want an ugly frame like that, especially in "Square" format. Dont most smart phones have a mini SD card just take it in to ASDA (or anywhere) print your own & buy any frame. Or online.
  • Joel_BJoel_B Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »

It's still showing an error this morning. If your website can't take a million hits after showing up on TV then you have lost a lot of money. I'm a Developer and stress-testing a website so it survives is a solved problem.

Or more likely they went out of business.
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're desperate to place an order it seem the Framing web site is working again now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're desperate to place an order it seem the Framing web site is working again now

Still seems ridiculous that you can only have one design and one size. The only thing you can change is the colour.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    They refused Peters offer, must be mad. Who would want an ugly frame like that, especially in "Square" format. Dont most smart phones have a mini SD card just take it in to ASDA (or anywhere) print your own & buy any frame. Or online.
    To be fair this was intended to be a gift. Not the same as printing and framing your own photo. That doesn't excuse the ugliness of the frame design.

I wasn't surprised they turned down Peter's job offer. They want to be entrepreneurs not employees with no control over the product. They'll most likely lose financially but while there's a chance they'll "role the dice".
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £9.99 must be losing money at that price.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Starting at half past an hour (rather than the usual 8pm/9pm start) is annoying too.
    It's on a 8pm next week, it was half an hour later this week because of the Grand Prix.
    LostFool wrote: »
    Classic Dragons' Den error. Demonstrate a website

http://frameagain.com/

...and it gives a "Error establishing a database connection"

Anyway, Photobox do it now: http://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/prints/framed-prints and any other online print shop could do it quickly.
    I see Frame Again have reduced their price to £9.99. Still cheaper at Photobox though. The Frame Again website looks nice, but it should be easier to find important information like delivery charges and I think the crowd funding thing on the homepage will put a lot of customers off - who wants to pay a company money for a product if it appears like they're skint.
  • Joel_BJoel_B Posts: 164
    Forum Member

Good to see they are still going. But I think the idea is pretty flaky. They have one product that is easily copyable. The only advantage is the price. And that's a risky place to be.
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I think the framing thing is a pretty simple idea.

A couple of more frame choices and more importantly - an app so people can pick a photo straight from their phone and order without having to visit the site would make it a decent offering.

I took a photo of my parents when they visited this weekend, it would have been nice to user a service like that to order a framed photo and have it on their doorstep when they arrived home.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the framing thing is a pretty simple idea.

A couple of more frame choices and more importantly - an app so people can pick a photo straight from their phone and order without having to visit the site would make it a decent offering.

I took a photo of my parents when they visited this weekend, it would have been nice to user a service like that to order a framed photo and have it on their doorstep when they arrived home.

However, there is nothing stopping the likes of Jessops and others to create their own product, much bigger, more options and already have the 'brand value'. For someone like Peter Jones, he could easily broker a deal with the likes of Instragram to have his product advertised next to people's photos and/or have it appear as an option for that photo, a couple of clicks and the order has been made.

Its a great idea but they should have taken Peter's offer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Photobox already do it
    http://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/prints/framed-prints

I've never used them for frames but I have ordered poster prints, collages and other photo gifts from them and have always had a good service
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't watch this last night - seems to be only one pitch being discussed - was that all that was on it? Some sort of radical departure if it was:D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    So the tank I liked - not sure about the Posh Crisps, sob story - Dancing good - Radiator covers, awful - Frameagain begin again - Loved the Shoes.:cool:
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The picture framing 'business' was sh**.

And they were mad to refuse Peter Jones' offer because their 'business was going straight down the toilet pan.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter said Jessop's photo framing idea wasn't as good as theirs which makes me wonder just how awful Jessop's one was?? Surely whoever does his web design/ideas will be crying after hearing him say that?

What did people think of those shoes?
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's irrevelant, but hair and make-up have done a terrible job this series. The Dragons look mostly terrible.