Options

Food Steamer - worth it?

thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm planning on having a major turn around in my diet, small changes have already begun over the past couple of months and I have been a member of a gym for several months as well and lost a bit of weight and toning up, I want to keep going with this.

However my diet is the biggest challenge and let down and definitely something that needs to be sorted feel steam (hehehe) ahead. My friend was chatting to me about maybe getting a food steamer to help when it comes to my cooking (I have also began to cook a lot more over the past couple of weeks in particular) and she says it's healthier to use one (IDK anything about it at all but I'm taking her word for that)

Would anyone recommend me getting one or are they a bit of a con kitchen product? Also what exactly are the health benefits of this between using a hob, for example?

Any information would be great appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    We have one to steam veg, wouldn't be without it, it's the only way I can eat veg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got one that sort of looks like a large microwave but has a slot in the side for a water container to fit in.

I have to admit it cooks vegtables very well and meat wise its especially nice cooking chicken in it as it ends up very juicy (the downside is you lose that nice crisp skin which is so bad for you!).

I guess they are a good way of cooking but ive never really bothered learning how to use it to its full potential (it was something my ex bought and left behind).
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had three electric steamers. One was unreliable, the other two failed. I now have a set of 'saucepans' that sit on the hob. Far, far better.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I've had three electric steamers. One was unreliable, the other two failed. I now have a set of 'saucepans' that sit on the hob. Far, far better.

Same here. I treated myself to a new set because they were on a very special offer. prior to that I used a large saucepan with metal steaming baskets on top, they're everso cheap.

I steam all my veg and they're beautifully cooked. A separate electric steamer is just more clutter in my kitchen.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a steamer all the time for veg. Its amazing just they keep colour and taste, which is lost when using conventional saucepans. Best examples: Broccolli and Brussel Sprouts stay bright green and crisp instead of going sickly yellow and soggy. Fish is great when steamed too (I stem yellow smoked haddock and the taste stays with it instead of being "lost" when using a pan.

For me, steamer every time. (So much so, that we hot rid of most of our saucepans - we only have a ceramic pan, the steamer, a soup making pan, a small milk pan and a slow cooker.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a electric one but mainly use the one that sits on the stove top. I like it better its easier to use and easier to clean. Its just like a saucepan on the bottom with another with holes in that sit on top of it. You can have one two or three and the top one has the lid on

I only use the electric one at Christmas as it saves on cooker space.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use this type.
    Bottom pan is straight saucepan the other two are colander types.
    So, for example, longer steaming food goes on first, shorter steaming food added later.
    Good for fish too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Steamer-Glass-Lid/dp/B005BX4JIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407311760&sr=8-1&keywords=Steamer+pans
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a electric one but mainly use the one that sits on the stove top. I like it better its easier to use and easier to clean. Its just like a saucepan on the bottom with another with holes in that sit on top of it. You can have one two or three and the top one has the lid on

I only use the electric one at Christmas as it saves on cooker space.

I love the hob one too! So great, I was reluctant to start using a steamer I was always a veg boiler but my OH wanted to get one, but since I do 90% of the cooking I was reluctant to change my ways! so glad I did though!

I often boil a few potatoes I'm the water in the bottom pot, then use 1 or 2 of the sections that go on top to do different veg.... Is soooo much faster, tastier and healthier than my old ways, and I often reduce down the water in the bottom pot for making veggie stock.... They're a winner all round for me!

I probably would be less inclined to use an electric, just cause I find the hob ones, quick to clean!
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I love the hob one too! So great, I was reluctant to start using a steamer I was always a veg boiler but my OH wanted to get one, but since I do 90% of the cooking I was reluctant to change my ways! so glad I did though!

I often boil a few potatoes I'm the water in the bottom pot, then use 1 or 2 of the sections that go on top to do different veg.... Is soooo much faster, tastier and healthier than my old ways, and I often reduce down the water in the bottom pot for making veggie stock.... They're a winner all round for me!

I probably would be less inclined to use an electric, just cause I find the hob ones, quick to clean!

Same as me! Sometimes I use the water to pour over my plants as well. :D
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one of these that I got from Asda. They do different sizes too. Perfect for doing veg in and does to take up too much room

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Litre-Large-Microwave-Steamer/dp/B005D6XZ4O/ref=pd_sim_kh_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ASE2XDTY4RPGG1NRYTC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I use a steamer all the time for veg. Its amazing just they keep colour and taste, which is lost when using conventional saucepans. Best examples: Broccolli and Brussel Sprouts stay bright green and crisp instead of going sickly yellow and soggy. Fish is great when steamed too (I stem yellow smoked haddock and the taste stays with it instead of being "lost" when using a pan.

For me, steamer every time. (So much so, that we hot rid of most of our saucepans - we only have a ceramic pan, the steamer, a soup making pan, a small milk pan and a slow cooker.

Yeah, that's just overcooking though. I cook broccoli in a saucepan and mine still stays green and crisp..... Leave the broccoli in a steamer long enough and it'll do the same thing.
  • Options
    snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use my steamer , non electrical everyday for my veg .
    Takes less room on the hob as well
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I have one of these that I got from Asda. They do different sizes too. Perfect for doing veg in and does to take up too much room

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Litre-Large-Microwave-Steamer/dp/B005D6XZ4O/ref=pd_sim_kh_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ASE2XDTY4RPGG1NRYTC
    I bought one of those as well and it's absolutely brilliant. I put my Quorn fillets in with the vegetables and find they taste far better than when cooked any other way.

I try to steam all the veg in one go if possible, but potatoes and broccoli have to be cut up into small pieces to match the cooking time of sprouts, carrots and cauliflower. I then use the left over water to make the gravy. I'm sure some people wouldn't do them all at the same time, but it's much more convenient to have the entire meal ready in ten minutes.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my electric steamer for veg, cooking for 5 people some nights so space on the hob can be limited..all my veg just seems to taste and look better than when I simmered in pans..Just make sure if you get an electric one you can refill it whilst cooking..trying to top a 3 tier steamer full of veg can be tricky if you don't !! (A mistake I made with the 1st one I bought).
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electric steamers are a waste of money. Just get yourself to your local Asian wholesale warehouse and pick up a few bamboo steamers.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you have a microwave then just buy the steaming bowls for it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd second a bamboo steamer than pops on top of a saucepan. You should be able to pick up a 2 tier one for less than a tenner. I did have an electric one but it was just gathering dust in the Cupboard of Unused Kitchen Gadgets (I'm sure everyone has one) so I threw it out.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got my metal steamer from the charity shop i volunteered in, and haven't stopped using it since!
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I use my electric steamer almost daily, I wouldn't cook veg any other way. Mine is just a cheap Argos own make. I also do fish in it. Get one!
  • Options
    dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »

I use this too. I now have every size in the Systema range, today I completed the set with a rice steamer. Don't know how I coped without these. Hardly ever use saucepans now, nearly everything is cooked in my microwave. Easy to wash up too.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that's all of us agreed one way or another.
    I wonder what OP thinks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use this type.
    Bottom pan is straight saucepan the other two are colander types.
    So, for example, longer steaming food goes on first, shorter steaming food added later.
    Good for fish too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Steamer-Glass-Lid/dp/B005BX4JIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407311760&sr=8-1&keywords=Steamer+pans

I have similar to this. It cost less than a tenner from asda a good few years ago (not on the website but in most stores) - wouldn't be without it. Just be careful when you salt any veg you are steaming. I use the bottom part as a pan and salt whatever veg I have in that but I don;t salt the veg I have in the tiers
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had electric and hob ones and much prefer the hob one.
    Yesterday the copper bottom came off the one I am using at the moment and took it back to Argos and they have stopped making them. I was absolutely lost last night as I had 4 veg to cook and had a hob full of pans, 4 rings on using lots of gas and the veg was nowhere near as tasty as it usually is.
    Got my money back as they only had 18cm in stock which is not big enough for us. Went to my local store who wanted £59 for one that was no better than the one I paid £29 so now have to wait for one to be delivered.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member

Another vote for these. I'm in a similar situation to the OP - needed to lose a bit of weight - and discovered cooking after not having done ANY before. (I found I enjoy it)

I eat a lot of veg now, as I've been experimenting with different kinds. Previously I would only eat peas or sweetcorn. But spinach, cabbage and carrots are all really nice (who knew?) I've even taking a grudging like for the dreaded broccoli.

I suppose it depends on the type of oven you have but fill the bottom bit half way with cold water. Put whatever veg in the baskets above (I go for four portions which means with fruit I easily get my five / six / seven a day.

Turn the hob up to full, 18 minutes later - perfect veg. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Oddly, by filling up on veg (rather than picking) the weight has eased off without any other drastic change to lifestyle.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a stainless steel Meyer food steamer, it goes on the hob, had it for years, it's great, steam my Christmas puddings in it too.