Options

New Titles Offically leak

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just realised that the sound quality in the grainy video I watched is suspiciously good so the video was probably accompanied by the wrong theme meaning maybe I was too quick to jump to the conclusion that the middle 8 is back :cry::cry:
    (The Middle 8 was in the opening credits for some reason in this video.)

If you don't mind answering such a question: when you saw it was there a drastic change in the theme tune, a slight change or no change at all? You don't need to be any more specific than that.

I really hope the Middle 8 is back

Oh.
    I heard there was a version where somebody put the Doctor Stew theme audio over the video. There was a lot of audience noise over the theme when the new sequence appeared so I wish I could listen to it clean again. It's more 2005-2007 than 2010-2013. Though more electronic. It's still the core theme, just sounds different.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just realised that the sound quality in the grainy video I watched is suspiciously good so the video was probably accompanied by the wrong theme meaning maybe I was too quick to jump to the conclusion that the middle 8 is back :cry::cry:
    (The Middle 8 was in the opening credits for some reason in this video.)

If you don't mind answering such a question: when you saw it was there a drastic change in the theme tune, a slight change or no change at all? You don't need to be any more specific than that.

I really hope the Middle 8 is back
    What do you mean by the middle 8? There is a clip of the new title sequence but with the wrong music. The actual music from the leaked titles also has females saying told ya and oh my god. So if you don't hear those you aren't listening to the right theme. As for the theme itself I would say it is more than a slight change.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Oh.
    I heard there was a version where somebody put the Doctor Stew theme audio over the video. There was a lot of audience noise over the theme when the new sequence appeared so I wish I could listen to it clean again. It's more 2005-2007 than 2010-2013. Though more electronic. It's still the core theme, just sounds different.
    Cool, so it is a pretty substantial change. Can't wait :D
    Now I'm really starting to get excited for Series 8. The next two weeks can't go fast enough. A-level results on Thursday to get through first though :o
    bp2 wrote: »
    What do you mean by the middle 8? There is a clip of the new title sequence but with the wrong music. The actual music from the leaked titles also has females saying told ya and oh my god. So if you don't hear those you aren't listening to the right theme. As for the theme itself I would say it is more than a slight change.
    Yep, I was watching the one with wrong music. At least I haven't completely spoiled it for myself. I still can't wait to here the new theme. :)

The Middle 8 is this bit of the theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORDRMnU6GKk
    It was present in The Day of the Doctor's end credits, but other than that it has been totally absent since The Beast Below IIRC.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally I don't approve of leaks, but curiosity got the better of me and I watched the new title sequence.
    I quite like it. It is based on the fan-made trailer like was rumoured which I wasn't too fond of, but they've fixed some of the problems I had with the original- namely the fob watch and the Seal of Rassilon which I felt shouldn't have been there.
    More importantly they've fixed most of the problems which I had with the previous title sequence:
    - Doesn't look like it was thrown together in a day
    - It isn't overly saturated
    - Uses 3D letters for the main actors names instead of a rubbish 2D font.
    - The logo is shiny silver rather than some bizarre grey and white cloud texture
    - No TARDIS doors opening at the end
    - There's no wolf drinking a cup of tea.

Although the theme hasn't changed to much, I think it has a bit of a key change (I'm not a music expert so don't quote me on this) to make it sound darker and most importantly I detected a hint of the middle 8 at the end, so at long last the iconic middle 8 returns to the title theme! :)

So first impressions from a grainy piece of crap which looks like it was recorded on a toaster have been good. Can't wait to see it properly when the episode airs.

I must apologise for my weakness in not being able to avoid this leak.

The theme is also permeated by clock tower gongs, other clockwork stuff and a degrading howl. It's quite eerie although the recording makes it more screechy. The old vortex sound effect from Classic Series credits is there too. Also no Series 5-7 melody at the start.

Trenzalore seemingly appears with the planets - whether it's just reused for ease or not. I also like to think that the planet that circles the logo by itself is Gallifrey. Head canon :p

I don't remember if the Middle 8 featured in the end credits. There was something of a noisy standing ovation at the time.

I share these views but to add one more observation
    I am really disappointed they haven't got rid of that overpowering 'dah, dah, dah, daaaahhhhh' intro. It really doesn't suit DW imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have got rid of it. it's gone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that leaked recording (now removed), there didn't sound to be that much variation in texture in the melodic line, which grates me. All of Murray's themes had done so up to now.

And I feel that the clock motif is an eye sore - it gives the impression of this being a parody of a time travel show rather than being Doctor Who. I've posted other title sequences in another thread which used the same motif and how it is over used.

But the fact this sequence came into being through a fan-made version on YouTube is still awe-inspiring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have got rid of it. it's gone.
    Was still in the one that I saw. The first 8 notes were definitely the annoying theatrical intro. pretty sure I found the right one. Cant check now, its been removed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Was still in the one that I saw. The first 8 notes were definitely the annoying theatrical intro. pretty sure I found the right one
    Nope, it's gone. Have corroborated with others that were there, too.

"No more "Moffat Melody, Man From UNCLE Fanfare!!!" - I will not be missing that, I didn't know ten notes could irritate me so much."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, it's gone. Have corroborated with others that were there, too.

"No more "Moffat Melody, Man From UNCLE Fanfare!!!" - I will not be missing that, I didn't know ten notes could irritate me so much."
    Must have found the wrong one then. Ah well, if it is indeed gone then happy days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Must have found the wrong one then. Ah well, if it is indeed gone then happy days
    The one I saw was the correct sequence, but it was rescored with the incorrect theme tune because the real recording was too difficult to hear.
    You probably saw the same one as me.

I for one am glad. Curiosity got the better of me so I know what the opening sequence (more or less) will look like, but I've still got hearing the actual theme song to look forward to. :)
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visually it's neither here nor there for me, but I do hope that's not the finished theme. It sounded very whiny.
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,870
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Now this I like. Is groovy.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Are they planning on mixing up the design every couple of years now? Did DW used to change this quickly in Classic Who?
    It never used to change that quickly in the RTD time let alone anything else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It never used to change that quickly in the RTD time let alone anything else.

I like to think it's because the one they introduced last year was rubbish. Hopefully this one will last until the end of the Capaldi era.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    It's good. I like it for now.
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Help me out - I don't understand why people think it's a leak of the actual titles rather than something put together by a fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Help me out - I don't understand why people think it's a leak of the actual titles rather than something put together by a fan.

Some people were there at the time :p
  • Options
    PobattiPobatti Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Some people were there at the time :p

And the official titles are distinctly different, even though familiar elements are present.

If a YouTuber such as NeonVisual, Billydakiduk or John Smith were to create such impressive fan titles, they'd have premiered them on their own channels first - they won't have leaked into the hands of an unknown, and that unknown won't have taken the time to expertly insert the video footage into the screenspace visible in some generic cinema footage.

It's feasibly possible, but would require too much effort for zero credit. Those with the talent really wouldn't do such a thing as a stunt or to mislead (even though John Smith did do that amazing 50th trailer, it was released on his own channel and after only a matter of days owned up to it being his own creation).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The titles are on Tumblr now.

Search: "Doctor Who series 8" and look for the video posted by a person called "yessircpttightpants".
  • Options
    HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not locked, apparently. They're still being tweaked before transmission.

Where did you hear that? Who said so?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnosss wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? Who said so?

I've only seen this pop up on the Digital Spy forums. Over on Gallifrey Base everyone's convinced the titles are indeed locked, and nobody's heard anything from the production crew even remotely suggesting they're not.

Can't verify it either way, but if such a statement was made at the premiere it would be much more well-known and widespread than just one or two people on one particular forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pobatti wrote: »
    I've only seen this pop up on the Digital Spy forums. Over on Gallifrey Base..

It came from GallifreyBase :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It came from GallifreyBase :p

It initially got posted on here, then I took it over there so I could find out if there was any truth to it. I got plenty of confused responses, nobody claiming any of the production team said anything of the sort - but the problem with that site is if you say anything on it people take what's said as fact :p

Nobody's come forward as specifically remembering that being said. That's not to say it couldn't have been, just that nobody remembers it - which would be odd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to know that such deep modesty gets you nowhere.

The official titles fit so much better ^_^