Options

The Indian Doctor..series 2.

Comments

• Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to kick that vicar in the teeth! I know he is a fictional character, but he really winds me up.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to kick that vicar in the teeth! I know he is a fictional character, but he really winds me up.

Pious self righteous people always have that effect on me
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here, horrible creepy man are my thoughts. The way he locks his daughter in the room is terrible and as I said earlier in the thread, the was he just walks into her room is so creepy. She is a young woman and you would think a man of the cloth would allow her privacy.
    Soemthing has gone on there in the past, I'm convinced of it now especially when she said she hated him.
    Can't belive it ends tomorrow:(
    Next week we are being shown a rerun of the BBC1 programme Missing, .
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this series so much. So pleased that I have been off work this week to see it. :)
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,882
    Forum Member
    Are we given the smallpox vaccine now? It was eradicated in the 70's. I was born in the 80's and don't recall getting it, though I could be wrong!

His step mum is the lady who works in the pub, who fancies Prem but Emlyn fancies her!
    Because of mass vacination, smallpox has been eradicated from the world for some years now. That is why no one is vacinated for it anymore. What a sucess story.

Is small pox definetely eradicated world wide? I'm sure just the other day Sky News did a report that India is getting on top of it but it still exists in Pakistan. If thats true then in this global world isn't there still a risk?
    Frood wrote: »
    I was born in 1964. Although I had a number of vaccinations, smallpox was not amongst them (never had the BCG in my teens either and I'm fine ........ urrgghhhhhhhh :eek: :eek::eek:)

:D

In the first series Megan clearly had a big thing for Prem, and he slightly returned this but was happily and firmly married (and the wife is HOT!).

It will be the the African cloth which is the source I reckon. Remember, it's not the first time Dan has tried them on which would allow for a 6-8 day incubation period.

Very much enjoying the character of Emlyn.

The only thing that (very slightly) grates in this otherwise deloightful series is the music. I'm sure some of it was released well after 1964 (when it is set). That is ok for background music but sometimes its playing on a radio.

RE BIB, if yuo haven't had the BCG, get it! TB is still around and is an air borne illness and again, with us living in such a globalised world, surely its a risk for you not to have the vaccine?
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    How are we protected from small pox then and when? As babies?

As a kid at school around the age of 12-13, I remember having the BCG vaccine which is for TB isn't it and then given a sugar cube to "eat", what was that for as well?

Yes, the oral vaccine for polio (Sabin vaccine) was used from about 1962. I remember having the earlier Salk vaccine, which was injected - three shots altogether over a period of several years if memory serves.

The only remaining strains of smallpox in existence are believed to be in the biological warfare arsenals of certain countries that ought to know better.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Yes, the oral vaccine for polio (Sabin vaccine) was used from about 1962. I remember having the earlier Salk vaccine, which was injected - three shots altogether over a period of several years if memory serves.

The only remaining strains of smallpox in existence are believed to be in the biological warfare arsenals of certain countries that ought to know better.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/feb/13/smallpox-virus-vector-health-terror
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I'm gutted this is only 5 episodes again but I'd much rather they only do 5 and keep it the high quality it is now than rather than do a long series that drags the show down
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,651
    Forum Member
    Love this series - how can there have only been 5 episodes made? just as we're getting into it - it ends. :cry:
    I love the afternoon slot - so much so, today I made my afternoon cuppa and sat down to watch it at 1.15 by mistake. :o
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gutted this is only 5 episodes again but I'd much rather they only do 5 and keep it the high quality it is now than rather than do a long series that drags the show down

I think the run could have been a little longer this time,without damaging it too much.
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »

Doubt smallpox would make a very effective weapon anyway, every country holds a small amount of vaccine and it can even be administered effectively up to 4 days after infection.

Even without the stockpiles of vaccine infection with cowpox gives immunity to smallpox, which is why the major outbreaks didn't occur until the industrial revolution. Most people before the industrial revolution worked in agriculture and had already been infected with cowpox which gave them immunity. ( Edward Jenner noted that Milk Maids didn't get Smallpox in the late 18th century and tested inoculation)

Not really something anybody needs to worry about. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I had the vaccine for it in 1978 when I went to the states on holiday because they wouldnt let anyone in the country who hadnt been vaccinated .
    I have trouble taking the vicar seriously because he will always be Dr Alan Statham to me and I am always expecting a series of catastrophic events to follow him

I don't think that can be true because I have never been vaccinated against smallpox and I went to the US in 1978.

Mark Heap - let's not forget the mad artist Brian in Spaced!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    chestfield wrote: »
    Yes, I remember the BCG in about 1961, age 16. When I was 9 I had the most awful injection in my thigh, and thought for years it was against polio till i learned it was too early for that. I wonder if that might have been the smallpox one?

Do you think that might have been typhoid? That is given in the leg or arm and is quite a 'big' injection, but you'd probably only have it in connection with foreign travel and it seems you're talking about 1953. Smallpox is a surface "scratch".
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont know why they wasted this during the day.

Should have put it on in the evening & cut out the comedy. I think it would work better just as a drama.
  • Options
    auldlangsyneauldlangsyne Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another brilliant series for the BBC, not heard or seen anyone say anything bad about this series yet.

Its another weird one though in terms of when its on, they could easily get 5 million + viewers if they put this on a Saturday or Sunday night and yet they chose daytime, thankfully i've been working nights both weeks its been on so i haven't missed an episode but its as if viewing figures don't matter.

Not only is it scheduled for Daytime but its possibly the worst slot during daytime, a time when many are on their way out to do the school run etc, on that basis we can expect more series hopefully.

It looks like this is just one of those series that they make for enjoyment rather than to make money, fair play for that. Although they re-aired series 1 in between Christmas and New Year 2010 and got 4 million viewers for a 5pm slot on BBC2, so they are missing a trick in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Dont know why they wasted this during the day.
    It's not a waste for those that want to see some quality daytime TV (which is why BBC Daytime commissioned it in the first place).

And it is likely to get a later repeat anyway (just as the first series did, and just as Land Girls did)
    Should have put it on in the evening & cut out the comedy. I think it would work better just as a drama.
    But it would have lost its "feelgood, cosy feeling".

It is what it is - and it has built its fanbase on just that. No reason to change it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its another weird one though in terms of when its on, they could easily get 5 million + viewers if they put this on a Saturday or Sunday night and yet they chose daytime, thankfully i've been working nights both weeks its been on so i haven't missed an episode but its as if viewing figures don't matter.
    In many respects, viewing figures should not matter for the BBC. The point is that for far too long, daytime BBC has been neglected. Those who want to watch TV during the day surely deserve reasonable programmes, and interesting dramas? Why should that time of day be any different from the evening? Why should daytime BBC be a wasteland as far as good programming is concerned?

And as I stated much earlier in this thread, the BBC Trust (who looks after the interests of the viewer) instructed the BBC to improve its daytime offering, and to reduce its reliance on property and antique shows. This is what it has done, and those efforts are now bearing fruit with well-received dramas such as this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the run could have been a little longer this time,without damaging it too much.

It really should be adapted for BBC One prime time. This would so be a hit on Sunday nights. I'm just blessed I have been off work this week to see it otherwise it would have passed me by.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ichou wrote: »
    Do you think that might have been typhoid? That is given in the leg or arm and is quite a 'big' injection, but you'd probably only have it in connection with foreign travel and it seems you're talking about 1953. Smallpox is a surface "scratch".

Wouldn't have been for typhoid, I'd have thought. (I lived in SE London at the time, and didn't go abroad for another 5/6 years or so)
  • Options
    kazzieconkazziecon Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I have a certificate which confirms (and I remember it well) that I had a vaccination against Smallpox in 1978! I believe there was a suspected case in Birmingham or Leicester and, as I was going on holiday, some destinations would not allow you to travel unless you were vaccinated! I think it was the year I went to Malta!

Excellent series - a little gem which I Sky+ and watch later. Very good acting, great storyline, good music and a pleasure to watch! Well Done BBC! :D
  • Options
    Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do hope they make another series. I have enjoyed both series 1 & 2. Really think it would be worth repeating them on a Sunday afternoon so everyone can enjoy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do hope they make another series. I have enjoyed both series 1 & 2. Really think it would be worth repeating them on a Sunday afternoon so everyone can enjoy it.

Agreed. It certainly needs a primetime repeat. :)
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just caught this drama for the first time, and the main effect it's had is to reaffirm my opinion that Mark Heap is a tremendously brilliant actor.
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    I'm another fan of this show, adding Mark Heap to series 2 is a masterstroke, he has a knack of playing "creepy" down to a T. Hope he stays around to clash with Prem more in the future. One thing I don't like is Prem playing away behind his very pretty wife Ayesha's back. No more of that please. Oh and great news that his mother in law is staying.....
  • Options
    Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another fan of this show, adding Mark Heap to series 2 is a masterstroke, he has a knack of playing "creepy" down to a T. Hope he stays around to clash with Prem more in the future. One thing I don't like is Prem playing away behind his very pretty wife Ayesha's back. No more of that please. Oh and great news that his mother in law is staying.....

I was just saying to hubby I didn't like that kiss & I hope thats the last of the silly crush they had. Yes Mark Heap has added a bit of darkness to it & I do hope we see more of mother in law :)