Yet Another Revamp for Daybreak

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Broadcast is reporting that ITV's breakfast show Daybreak has yet another new editor, Neil Thompson, who is currently the ITV commissioning editor for factual. documentaries and daytime. Reports over the weekend suggested Lorraine Kelly and Aled Jones would not figure in the revamped programme which has seen its audience fall to about 600,000 against BBC Breakfast's 1.6 million.

Comments

• JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Broadcast is reporting that ITV's breakfast show Daybreak has yet another new editor, Neil Thompson, who is currently the ITV commissioning editor for factual. documentaries and daytime. Reports over the weekend suggested Lorraine Kelly and Aled Jones would not figure in the revamped programme which has seen its audience fall to about 600,000 against BBC Breakfast's 1.6 million.

They should have kept Daybreak V1...
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were also newspaper reports at the weekend that ITV were interested in trying to sign up Susannah Reid, possibly for Daybreak, to the tune of £500,000

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s104/strictly-come-dancing/news/a538490/susanna-reid-denies-quit-rumours-if-you-cut-me-open-id-bleed-bbc.html

Haven't ITV been here before?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The public probably want something more dynamic and "youthful" than the tired derivative borefest that ITV keep offering.

The BBC have that sort of thing all to themselves, ITV need to go different.

And maybe not the same thing all the year 'round. Perhaps a summer breakfast show from a beach and a autumn/winter show in a studio with different presenters.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A version of the Big Breakfast, if done well with new talent could be the ticket for ITV, IMHO.

PJ
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as they keep Ranvir (for two obvious reasons).
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Send for Roland Rat!

( Adrain Chiles that's not you).
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt and Ranvir from the Newshour should be given a chance to front the whole show. They work well together and are far more watchable than Aled and Lorraine.

I suspect that's far too simple though and ITV will try to draft in someone from the outside, like Susannah Reid as speculated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt and Ranvir from the Newshour should be given a chance to front the whole show. They work well together and are far more watchable than Aled and Lorraine.

I suspect that's far too simple though and ITV will try to draft in someone from the outside, like Susannah Reid as speculated.

On DS Susannah has said she is not moving.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    A version of the Big Breakfast, if done well with new talent could be the ticket for ITV, IMHO.

PJ

It wouldn't be permitted. The Ofcom Channel 3 Breakfast licence requires a news based show on weekdays.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom is lightweight when it comes to itv. ITV have been able to get away with anything. In the days of the IBA at least they were able to hold itv licencees to task. They gave the itv franchise to TVam. Granted that they had a rocky start but turned it around. Then the conservatives decided hey lets have an auction to see how much revenue the chancellor could get out of the bidders for the franchises. TVam lost out and ever since the 1993 itv breakfaxt time has gone downhill. If lorraine kelly is replaced then the last link from the tv am days will be severed. What ofcom could do if they wanted to is to readvertise the contract
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    What ofcom could do if they wanted to is to readvertise the contract

They can only do this if ITV plc hands it back. All of the Channel 3 licences have been extended for another ten years by Ofcom, by agreement with the Secretary of State.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I flick between all the morning news shows if at home.
    Daybreak is the last one for me to flick on to.
    I have never warmed to Aled as a presenter on that show, but on other things I have liked him.
    I feel he is not suited to that format.

ITV just does not know what to do with that time slot.
    I would make it a more serious programme and ditch the flippant stuff.

Sky news with Steven Dixon as anchor is my preferred choice.
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, Susanna Reid is the weak point of BBC Breakfast. Louise Minchin is the far better of the two and I wouldn't mind Susanna leaving for Daybreak.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV loose out as:-
    • Their local news opt outs are very poor against the BBC.
    • Breakfast is on every day of the week and weekend.
    • Breakfast is part of BBC news.
    • No ads on BBC, so more of a show.
    • More stability on Breakfast they do not change it every year.
    • More presenters on Breakfast it works with any one from BBC news.
    • More in depth weather, business, on BBC.

Buying in presenters and giving them massive salaries such as Adrain Chiles and Christine Bleakley, just gets everyone's backs up, a million a year, people think it's wrong and switch off.

Sky with Edmond Holmes get it more right than ITV they need to see what Sky do with a Sunrise to see how to take the BBC on.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    There were also newspaper reports at the weekend that ITV were interested in trying to sign up Susannah Reid, possibly for Daybreak, to the tune of £500,000

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s104/strictly-come-dancing/news/a538490/susanna-reid-denies-quit-rumours-if-you-cut-me-open-id-bleed-bbc.html

Haven't ITV been here before?

Every year Eamonn Holmes is about to take over Daybreak. Strangely it seems to coincide with his Sky contract being up which is then quickly renewed, Sky fall for it every time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom need to set out tough guidelines for channel 3 on what form the 0600-0925 timeslot should look like

The IBA who imho was more strict with the itv franchise holders should never have been disbanded. As a result of the broadcasting act 1990 a broadcaster of breakfast tv,TVAM,who had got right lost its franchise.

Why ofcom cant demand that itv plc cant hand back the contract so they can readvertise it is beyond me. Though it could be that they have locked in the licences til 2014 which is a shame
  • brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in order to revamp daybreak fire or scrap lorraine kelly she has been there since beginning of time since start of morning tv back in 80's through GMTV and now daybreak til now she need to go and i hope the new editor drops her and replaces her program with a 1hr of news or scrap lorriane kelly altogether she needs to be gone
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get rid of Aled Jones and Lorraine Kelly (and her own show afterwards).

Revamp done. :)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many revamps of Daybreak have there been now??
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlotte Hawkins seems a pretty obvious choice.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    How many revamps of Daybreak have there been now??

About four. Ironic really that in the tenure of the much-derided Chiles and Bleakley the programme was actually getting a bigger audience than it is now.The fundamental problem seems to be ITV has no idea what to do with this slot and every revamp turns away more and more viewers. I expect to see the audience fall to 500,000 by about March.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get Andrew Castle back from dong those annoying Insurance Adverts, keep Kate, Make John Stapleton a Presenter again. Bring back Ben, but make him Sports Reporter. Keep Laura for the Weather, or make her a prsenter, someone lovely to look at for 3 hours in the morning.

And make Lorrianne have her own show again.

And finally rename it to GMTV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why Lorraine presents it then has her own show afterwards. I like Lorraine but it's too much! Bring back the GMTV presenters!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom could

demand that itv plc gives back the breakfast tv franchise

readvertise the franchise

Award the franchise to a company who passes the quality threshold and will produce a top quality programme that provides hard news

someone like tv-am

IMHO That should also apply to the rest of channel 3 licencees as well. There needs to a raising of quality on itv. Since 1993 there has been a steady decline

this just my observation
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get Andrew Castle back from dong those annoying Insurance Adverts, keep Kate, Make John Stapleton a Presenter again. Bring back Ben, but make him Sports Reporter. Keep Laura for the Weather, or make her a prsenter, someone lovely to look at for 3 hours in the morning.

And make Lorrianne have her own show again.

And finally rename it to GMTV

Don't you think there's a reason that Castle hasn't got a similar presenting role since? He's terrible, just like Richard Arnold. They need a total clear out and start again.

I mean, Richard Arnold left GMTV and never seen him again since ITV decided to bring him back. If they were that good, they would have got a similar job elsewhere.

They need to get rid of GMTV once and for all. That's where it's failing IMO.