Options

Elastic band bracelets..The new craze

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
Forum Member
A work mate's son made me a couple and she said that there the new craze round here..Everyone says ''oh i got or seen these''..Here are some piccys of the one's been made.http://i62.tinypic.com/14y289j.jpg Are they a craze near you ?

Comments

• Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Never seen them but I don't really know any kids around the area. They remind me a lot of Scoobies a few years ago, those were a big craze.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Saw a young boy earlier, he had them on up to his elbow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Saw a young boy earlier, he had them on up to his elbow!

aww cool :)
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    A work mate's son made me a couple and she said that there the new craze round here..Everyone says ''oh i got or seen these''..Here are some piccys of the one's been made.http://i62.tinypic.com/14y289j.jpg Are they a craze near you ?

Funny, a lady I work with has just put some pictures of her young son wearing loads of them on Facebook. They're called "loom" bracelets apparently.
  • Options
    ThatJoshThatJosh Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend made me a red&black one of those, worn it to school a few times but they're banned now for whatever reason :/
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, kids making loads of them and doling them out. They're probably a cross between friendship bracelets and shag bands. I have no desire to know what the hidden meanings in them are!
  • Options
    ThatJoshThatJosh Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, kids making loads of them and doling them out. They're probably a cross between friendship bracelets and shag bands. I have no desire to know what the hidden meanings in them are!

As far as I know, there aren't any hidden meanings in these ones.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ThatJosh wrote: »
    As far as I know, there aren't any hidden meanings in these ones.

Good :) spent too much time seeing year 7s make them in the past fortnight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funny, a lady I work with has just put some pictures of her young son wearing loads of them on Facebook. They're called "loom" bracelets apparently.

ah thanks, didn't know they had a name :D here is loads more from google https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=loom+bracelets&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OA6eU8LKDYWbPcrLgegD&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=677

i'm in my late 40's and i love them :D
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    ah thanks, didn't know they had a name :D here is loads more from google https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=loom+bracelets&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OA6eU8LKDYWbPcrLgegD&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=677

Can you make other things than bracelets?

Im tempted to try it but a, i dont really wear bracelets and b, im worried im a bit old for it!

Not that youre old orange maid, but if i went and bought some it would be obvious that it was for me!
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member

I've just sent my friend from work this picture from your link as her son loves minions!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/a7/c7/4e/a7c74ed6de06eb0508187f9a8f5dd877.jpg
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,992
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Can you make other things than bracelets?

Im tempted to try it but a, i dont really wear bracelets and b, im worried im a bit old for it!

Not that youre old orange maid, but if i went and bought some it would be obvious that it was for me!

Think you can make key rings and so on, but you might need extra fittings.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    My daughter and grand daughter spend hours making bands . In all sorts of colours. First there was just the plain colours...all red..blue..black that sort of thing . Now its sparkly ones...smelly ones....and now you can get little faces..peace signs..things like that to attach to them. Its nice to see the kids sat outside making these instead of sitting infront of a computer.

If you go on You Tube there is loads of videos showing how to do different things, Somebody even made a jacket out of loom bands it must have taken ages to do lol..

My daughter gets hers off Ebay its cheaper and you get more.

http://uk.pinterest.com/cranka01/rubber-band-bracelets/

I suppose one day the kids will get fed up of them but I tell you something it keeps the little beggers quiet :D
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 7 year old daughter and her friends are into them at the moment. She is getting quite good at it, takes her under 5 minutes to do a bracelet.

As mentioned there a ton of tutorials on youtube.

There is a local discount shop that sells the loom for £3 though you can do the bracelets without them and bands for £1 for 300. You can get the little plastic S connectors to finish the bracelets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    My friends 9 year old has been making them and selling them. She has donated nearly £400 to help for heroes. So nice to see a child donating their time to such a good cause.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of this 'craze' before now but anything creative that keeps the kids away from the Internet and computer games is alright by me.:)
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    My 7 year old daughter and her friends are into them at the moment. She is getting quite good at it, takes her under 5 minutes to do a bracelet.

As mentioned there a ton of tutorials on youtube.

There is a local discount shop that sells the loom for £3 though you can do the bracelets without them and bands for £1 for 300. You can get the little plastic S connectors to finish the bracelets.

My daughter gets her off Ebay shes just got 100pc mulitcolour alphabet charms for rainbow loon for £1.65 they are coming from China and will take a couple of weeks but its post free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin wanted some; apparently some kid in his class was selling them for 50p each (he's 7) .
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daughter made the missus one but it's wider on top and she made the red and white st. George's cross. Quite good actually.
  • Options
    Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member

I'm 53 and I can't stop making them - they're addictive! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Debb1e wrote: »
    I'm 53 and I can't stop making them - they're addictive! :)

lol, they are very addictive..I bought loads and made loads, necklaces too..all colours to match whatever i wearing..they are fun, and very colourful wearing one..I bought a pack of the clips, bit haven't opened them yet, 100 in the pack :o
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    My son loves these. Just bought the loom board and a load of the bands.

It keeps him quiet so I'm a fan :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    My young Daughter and all her friends love these.It makes me laugh as wherever we go I see adults wearing them,presumably made for them by their young uns
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My young Daughter and all her friends love these.It makes me laugh as wherever we go I see adults wearing them,presumably made for them by their young uns

maybe, but i make my own..i made loads now, necklaces to match aswell ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member