Is caller id free with virgin?

SugarSpikeSugarSpike Posts: 18
Forum Member
A relative has just bought me a new phone as I was moaning that I don't have caller id on mine, but I'm now wondering if it's something you have to set up or pay for?
I don't want to open up the box and get it all out until I know if the caller id will work.
I've been a virgin media customer for a few years now and I can barely afford it as it is I don't really wanna pay extra for this simple function
Thanks

Comments

• EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://shop.virginmedia.com/phone/calling-features.html

Caller display costs £2.05 which I pay.
  • SugarSpikeSugarSpike Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the quick reply. What a bummer, I refuse to give virgin anymore money so looks like the new handsets are going back
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    It is meant to be £2.05 per month but they've been giving it to customers for free like myself and a few others I know, you need to ask them when you ring 150.

By the way you say you are in West London right?

If you are in the ex-Cable&Wireless/Videotron/NTL franchise of Virgin Media, then you might find that Caller Display is not available!
  • SugarSpikeSugarSpike Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    It is meant to be £2.05 per month but they've been giving it to customers for free like myself and a few others I know, you need to ask them when you ring 150.

If you are in the ex-Cable&Wireless/Videotron/NTL franchise of Virgin Media, then you might find that Caller Display is not available!

Oh really, typical. Thanks I'll give them a call.
  • stevelupstevelup Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Just politely 'demand' it for free and they will likely give in.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    stevelup wrote: »
    Just politely 'demand' it for free and they will likely give in.

Not in my case but I cannot really complain as I have a great mobile deal.

They shouldn't really charge for it these days, just my opinion though. Overall I have a good deal.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member

You are wrong, as Caller Display is now available in some ex-Videotron areas, as I have this on my phone, here in Edgware, London, as our area was upgraded some months ago
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I checked it wasn't available here in Kent, but I really think it should be free where available - just like it is with BT.
    Forum Member
    cy_bones wrote: »
    Last time I checked it wasn't available here in Kent, but I really think it should be free where available - just like it is with BT.

It is not free with BT unless you sign up to the Free Privacy Package/Option
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    cy_bones wrote: »

It's crazy isn't it. I get it's because of the fragmented legacy cable telephone networks but we have 100mb broadband, Tivo, TVOD and yet some areas still have no caller ID, in 2011!

I didn't have it when I first joined VM but to their credit they compensdated me after i'd been told it was.

They are dragging their heels though, even if it's only for a small part of their network.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    It is not free with BT unless you sign up to the Free Privacy Package/Option

How much is this BT free privacy package? :D
    Forum Member
    goomba wrote: »
    How much is this BT free privacy package? :D

£0.00
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    £0.00

But, if you do not make the minimum numbers of calls required, they charge you for it - happened will I was on an extended holiday.
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    You are wrong, as Caller Display is now available in some ex-Videotron areas, as I have this on my phone, here in Edgware, London, as our area was upgraded some months ago

Thats good news, I know someone in South London on the former Videotron franchise and they still can't get it, something so simple, yet so hard to get lol
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    But, if you do not make the minimum numbers of calls required, they charge you for it - happened will I was on an extended holiday.
    There is now even an alternative for BT! If you take the "free evening calls at no extra charge - with 12 month rolling contract" this comes with "3 calling features free"!