Options

Do men suffer harsher double standards regarding sex than women

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Or maybe I've been too much of a soft touch by giving them everything they wanted on a plate so they didn't actually have to try to please me because they got everything they wanted anyway. All up for it at first like the joys of spring and the minute they got me round their manipulative little finger all the pleasing stops. It's a power thing and a way for them to get one over on the male population. By denying their boyfriends of sex knowing that a bloke can't just go out and get it like a woman can means she's holding all the trump cards. It's the best way you can control a man.

Funny. When I met my now current wife I stopped all that and took to no care attitude and stopped being the pushover and the always Mr Nice Guy and guess what? It worked. Sometimes the better you treat people the less they respect you.

Why would you go out with a girl like that? All the girls I've been out with have been more than happy to do whatever it takes in the bedroom. I'm always surprised what a girl will do for her man if you treat her right ;)
  • Options
    SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe I've been too much of a soft touch by giving them everything they wanted on a plate so they didn't actually have to try to please me because they got everything they wanted anyway. All up for it at first like the joys of spring and the minute they got me round their manipulative little finger all the pleasing stops. It's a power thing and a way for them to get one over on the male population. By denying their boyfriends of sex knowing that a bloke can't just go out and get it like a woman can means she's holding all the trump cards. It's the best way you can control a man.

Funny. When I met my now current wife I stopped all that and took to no care attitude and stopped being the pushover and the always Mr Nice Guy and guess what? It worked. Sometimes the better you treat people the less they respect you.

I'm not being flippant but you sound like you have real issues with women. You sound very bitter.

There is a female equivalent this attitude - the 'all men are b*stards' type. Different sides of the same coin if you ask me.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never met a Nice Guy who's managed to get married!
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your posts have sure made some offensive reading in relation to how you view women. But hey, at least you're keeping things equal by subscribing to the notion that all men care about is sex.

Sexist all round!
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    I don't mean to imply that - but when some men moan about such injustice - I can't help but draw attention to the injustices perpertrated towards those they accuse.

Why though if the two are unrelated? Doing so seems nothing more than an attempt to excuse, or justify apathy towards, specific injustices. It's pathetic tit for tat really isn't it, but yet you're using it to rationalise your apathy-cum-approval of misandry. Would you feel compelled to draw attention to the holocaust if a German "moaned" about unfair treatment. Did you draw attention to British colonialism when the papers reported on the Asian sex ring praying on white girls?
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Plenty like all the ones I've been out with in the past plus others ive encountered and in my experience most women like to use sex to get what they want like attention, money, security or a nice comfy home and family and the minute a ring is on their finger and they've had the fairy-tale wedding the next thing might be kids and once they are settled and content you can kiss goodbye to any jiggy jiggy. They'd rather put on a pair of comfy pj's and sit watching a good rom com with a glass of chardonay and a bucket of Ben&Jerry's than slip into stockings and suspenders and go upstairs. Occasionally when they are 'in the mood' you might get lucky and actually get to have sex and try not to let it bother you that she's put 2 more stone on in weight because you're supposed to be attracted to her no matter how much she's let herself go. That's providing you've been extra nice to her and not done anything all week to annoy her. It's no wonder some blokes have affairs.

Then there's the strong independent business bitch types that can look after themselves or don't want kids or someone to look after them who just use sex in order to sleep their way to success, nice house, posh clothes etc. Usually too tired and preoccupied with work to think about sex unless there's promotion in it for her or the opportunity to better herself. Usually got a permanent headache.

Or there's the ones with low self esteem who will sleep with anyone who flatters them or makes them feel 'special' and gives them loads of attention. Usually complete nutters or last on the shelf types that will do anything to get some attention and hope that by giving the bloke sex he wont clear off and leave her. Trust me I've met a few of these.

Occasionally women do actually want sex but most the time there's usually an ulterior motive.
    Yes, thought so. It's not a criticism, by the way. Women like inexperienced men. They can train them their own way.
  • Options
    Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why though if the two are unrelated? Doing so seems nothing more than an attempt to excuse, or justify apathy towards, specific injustices. It's pathetic tit for tat really isn't it, but yet you're using it to rationalise your apathy-cum-approval of misandry. Would you feel compelled to draw attention to the holocaust if a German "moaned" about unfair treatment. Did you draw attention to British colonialism when the papers reported on the Asian sex ring praying on white girls?

Well maybe men should stop moaning and feeling sorry for themselves - and do what women did - take action. We fought for our rights - they can do the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A bloke can't just go out and get sex? Since when? I'm beginning to think you don't know any men either!

I've eaten food lots of times, but I couldn't give an opinion on every recipe in the world.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    A bloke can't just go out and get sex? Since when?

To be fair - it is more difficult.

I reckon pretty much any woman would be guaranteed to get a leg over at the end of a night if she was determined to - it would take very little effort on her part to show her intentions and would likely get plenty of potential takers.

For a man to do the same would take lot more effort (and with less chance of success).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    To be fair - it is more difficult.

I reckon pretty much any woman would be guaranteed to get a leg over at the end of a night if she was determined to - it would take very little effort on her part to show her intentions and would likely get plenty of potential takers.

For a man to do the same takes would take lot more effort (and with less chance of success).
    So who are these women having sex with? Other women?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's not the point.

The point is the chance of success if you go out with the intent of having sex. There are probably far more men looking for unattached sex than there are women - and so as a man, on any given night your chance of finding one of these women is much less than a woman finding a man who is "up for it".
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member

The same man (or pool of men) perhaps.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    A lot of the posts in this thread accept that sexism can apply to both men and women but also seem to imply that its a battle of the sexes. Men can be sexist towards women, women can be sexist towards men. Men used to be sexist towards women in the past so are getting what they deserve from women now etc.

I don't think its as simple as that though in my experience. I think sexism against both sexes can come FROM both sexes.

A woman who wears skimpy clothing and sleeps around is just as likely to be labelled a slag or a tart by other women as by men.

A strange man who approaches a young child in distress is just as likely to be viewed with suspician by other men as by other women.

I'm guessing that many of the people who work in advertising and create adverts which show women as sex objects are women themselves.

I'm guessing that many of the people who work in advertising and create adverts which show men as lazy and stupid are men.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Occasionally women do actually want sex but most the time there's usually an ulterior motive.

This is just crap.

Either you are with the wrong people or you aren't treating them well/are doing something wrong in bed.

Newflash most women like sex. Just as much as most men do. If you aren't getting as much as you want take at look at yourself/your behaviour and try and change things.

Or you can continue to kid yourself that women don't like sex.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    KookyKatie wrote: »
    Because these gender expectations aren't logical.

Logically, jealous women who lambast women who reveal flesh must recognise that all they are doing is exposing their own insecurity. They must realise that every attempt to tear down other women just makes themselves look worse. Women who are confident in themselves don't need to be worried by the way other women look. But they still do it because human beings are often driven by impulse.

Straight women are more inclined to view female homosexuality in the terms you describe - it makes logical sense that straight people shouldn't care about homosexuality. But when it comes to men, the macho notion of manliness says that core to manhood is the desire to sleep with women. Male homosexuality threatens this ideal and serves as a challenge to the macho man's very identity and sense of self-worth. It's for this very reason that effeminate gay men and butch lesbians tend to get more abuse than those homosexuals who conform to the gender norms - it's not just about about the sex, it's about what it is to be a man or a woman. Tolerating male homosexuality is also perceived as possible involvement in it, so the only response the macho men see is aggression and antipathy. Again, this is completely illogical and screams insecurity - a confident man doesn't need to be defined by what the other men around him are doing, but generally speaking, people just aren't rational.

If humans were rational creatures, subjects like economics, psychology and sociology would be a lot simpler than they are. People frequently act on emotion, impulse and heuristics rather than deliberate rational thought.

I still don't understand the argument that male homosexuality is a threat to a straight man's identity. (I'm a straight man BTW).

I would have thought if anything male homosexuality in other men would boost a straight man's self esteem.

If I'm a single man at a party and 50% of the other men there are gay and/or effeminate then that would make me a bit of a catch to the girls at the party by default wouldn't it? It would probably make me feel more macho and manly in comparison to them. "In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king." If on the other hand every other man at the party was a straight macho hunk I might feel a bit inferior and less confident about myself.

I do accept the point though about how some men might be reluctant to condone homsexuality in case people might think they were gay themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    If I'm a single man at a party and 50% of the other men there are gay and/or effeminate then that would make me a bit of a catch to the girls at the party by default wouldn't it? It would probably make me feel more macho and manly in comparison to them. "In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king." If on the other hand every other man at the party was a straight macho hunk I might feel a bit inferior and less confident about myself.

There is the flip side (and I know this is a generalisation) - women love to have a gay male friend.

Having loads of gay men at a party is likely to mean you get to spend less time with the girls - not more ;)
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Well maybe men should stop moaning and feeling sorry for themselves - and do what women did - take action. We fought for our rights - they can do the same.

It's almost as though you are trying to get a reaction...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would like to apologise to all men for this sweeping generalisation a fellow woman has made.

Now this wouldn't surprise me one bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On DS - surely not.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    When a society gets to a point where a man is stopped with his granddaughters, and they are frightened to the point of them being in tears, then that is the point when I decided society has gone too far in vilifying men.

What was that all about then ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well maybe men should stop moaning and feeling sorry for themselves - and do what women did - take action.

And how did women start to take action - by discussing, vocalising and drawing attention to the problem. Strange that you should dismiss a similar course of action, but taken by men, as "moaning". More double standards?
    We fought for our rights - they can do the same.

Who is "we". Just how much fighting did you do to enjoy the rights that women have today - or is it a case that you feel justified in taking some of the credit, because you just happen to be of the same sex.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Who is "we". Just how much fighting did you do to enjoy the rights that women have today - or is it a case that you feel justified in taking some of the credit, because you just happen to be of the same sex.

erm please don't show such disdain towards internet keyboard warriors. :D