Options

BT Sport

mobilymobily Posts: 261
Forum Member
Does anyone know if Virgin customers can use the BT Sport app on Android? I am guessing it is for BT customers only.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    mobily wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Virgin customers can use the BT Sport app on Android? I am guessing it is for BT customers only.

you can watch bt sports on the vm anytime app
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,333
    Forum Member
    Virgin TV Anywhere app isn't available on Android , it's beyond a joke now.
  • Options
    mobilymobily Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »

It is ridiculous!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member

And what else is silly is that you can get it for iPhone, which virgin don't offer on their network!
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what else is silly is that you can get it for iPhone, which virgin don't offer on their network!

Not really, the iPhone/iPad app existed already, it's simply the US TiVo App with VM branding, quite a simple job to get it over here. An android app would have to be built from the ground up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Not really, the iPhone/iPad app existed already, it's simply the US TiVo App with VM branding, quite a simple job to get it over here. An android app would have to be built from the ground up.

Most apps don't take nearly a year to build though!!
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT managed to get their 3 channels out on an android app. Tv catchup manages it. Youd think they'd even get a ver 1 out that maybe didnt do everything but they could build on it. Heck weve even got a 3rd party remote out in myav.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    BT managed to get their 3 channels out on an android app. Tv catchup manages it. Youd think they'd even get a ver 1 out that maybe didnt do everything but they could build on it. Heck weve even got a 3rd party remote out in myav.

Because BT are not trying to Build the same software as TV Anywhere, all the functions of the iPad app must work on android. Because they don't own the tivo it's very likely that Tivo themselves are developing the app to release for US boxes and VM will just get a rebranded version for over here.

VM might also not be legally allowed to release an android companion app without tivo releasing one first
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,333
    Forum Member
    US TiVo Android app was released in January 2012.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US TiVo Android app was released in January 2012.

So do you think they are going to develop there own app? No! They will just take that app when Tivo allow them, customise it, then release it. We are waiting on Tivo to give them access to the app!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know this for fact ocav or is this your opinion ?

Why would tivo give them the ios one but not the android one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know this for fact ocav or is this your opinion ?

Why would tivo give them the ios one but not the android one.

Fact. Multiple forum posters have mentioned this before.

And because the iOS one had been out for a while before the android one. Tivo have had to develop the app, at a cost to them, why would they just give it to Virgin?
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Fact. Multiple forum posters have mentioned this before.

And because the iOS one had been out for a while before the android one. Tivo have had to develop the app, at a cost to them, why would they just give it to Virgin?
    I don't think anyone has ever stated that VM don't or won't have access to the app

The issue is that VM have to add in additional features to the app, some of which are difficult to target across Android versions - similar to issues the BBC had with iPlayer on Android.
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has ever stated that VM don't or won't have access to the app

The issue is that VM have to add in additional features to the app, some of which are difficult to target across Android versions - similar to issues the BBC had with iPlayer on Android.

Streaming TV is not on the original Tivo App
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »

And this is the reason Android versions are often well after the IOS version. Purely a standardisation issue which makes it harder. If the majority of people were on the latest Android version it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but they're not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All we are saying is that others have managed it including sky as far as I know
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dannylau wrote: »
    Streaming TV is not on the original Tivo App
    No it's not, that's one of the things VM have to add - in a video format that works on Android whilst maintaining DRM as required by the content providers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All we are saying is that others have managed it including sky as far as I know

I believe it was a while before Sky Go arrived on Android, also I believe people still have a lot of issues with it working on there device.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been told that there was a big internal argument about this at VM. We're not the only ones that believe that the android and iOS apps should have been released together.

I've also been told by a v good source that the app is definitely ready to go and there is no technical reason why it can't be released to customers. Regardless of what anyone says here, it does not take a year to develop any app of any description.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've also been told by a v good source that the app is definitely ready to go and there is no technical reason why it can't be released to customers.
    I really hate it when 'sources' say thing like that.

Fine, from a purely technical standpoint it may be 'good to go', but there are more stages to a product release than just that.

I'm an Android user myself, so have been as frustrated as everyone else that it has take this long to arrive, but VM will release it as soon as everything is in place to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoke to a vm shop rep and they probably know little but guy said late in year as the liberty takeover has delayed a few products. Certainly looks delayed. Be nice if it was before android kit kat though