Options

The Sheriffs are coming...11am..BBC1.

Comments

• Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Noticed that this series they would appear to be concentrating on squatters of buildings a bit more
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Noticed that this series they would appear to be concentrating on squatters of buildings a bit more

Yes, on the show today were more pixelated [ funny that they shy away from fame ] crusty new age hippies who think that breaking into others' property and living in utter squalor is a good life choice.
  • Options
    AnnaFordFanAnnaFordFan Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Yes, on the show today were more pixelated [ funny that they shy away from fame ] crusty new age hippies who think that breaking into others' property and living in utter squalor is a good life choice.

I think people would have a lot more sympathy with these squatters if they made any sort of attempt at looking after the places they occupy instead of completely trashing them. I find it amusing that the walls are often covered in anarchist graffiti yet there is nearly always some crusty oik complaining that those doing the evictions aren't acting within the laws of the land. Do they want anarchy or don't they?
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And another company goes bankrupt but continues trading under another name. rolleyes.

And then the new company goes into liquidation too.

Betterview Windows.

This should really be illegal.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly question perhaps, but how do you sell a car at auction without the Keys or Log Book?
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    The dispute with Jet 2, whilst the outcome was probably correct cant say I felt sorry for the "victim", he came across as a bit of a t***
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Silly question perhaps, but how do you sell a car at auction without the Keys or Log Book?

To a car dealer. They'll know exactly what to do to obtain both, it's just a little bit more work so they'll factor that in to what they are willing to pay for the car in the first place.

The lack of keys or a V5C won't particularly worry them.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the usual TV habits of constant updates and recaps an enjoyable trip into the murky depths of dodgy dealers and shady shopkeepers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Government really need to do something about businesses changing hands when they have debts.

The Off License shop owner had no right to sell the shop to a 'friend' when they had such a big debt.

Businesses should only be able to sell if the money they get goes directly to the creditors.
  • Options
    buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin seems to be coming into his own a little more - he is going from "Bag Man" to "Main Man" in some cases featured.

I feel sorry for Pete, he often seems to be sent out on his own.

I can't take to the new Sheriff Tom - it's that beard :D
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    The dispute with Jet 2, whilst the outcome was probably correct cant say I felt sorry for the "victim", he came across as a bit of a t***
    I don't think the money bothered him one bit, just the principle.
    buttsfife wrote: »
    Kevin seems to be coming into his own a little more - he is going from "Bag Man" to "Main Man" in some cases featured.

I feel sorry for Pete, he often seems to be sent out on his own.
    Kevs finally discovered Marmite butties and Bovril. All he needs now is a few pies down him.

Petes a capable bloke...."it's an arrestable offence to stop me doing my job". :D

What seems to be coming out more in this series is the apparent lack of communication between the Court and the respondents. One in todays programme seemed pretty bad where the guy told the HCEO's they were the first people connected to the case he's seen! He never denied owing the money but felt annoyed he'd not been given the opportunity to put his side of the matter and at the lack of the Courts communication.

He seemed a pretty decent and honest character too (must have been as he paid off in full within 14 days) rather than the usual dross.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I sympathised with him a bit as he certainly didn't seem to be in an area likely to cause an obstruction but obviously the Port of London River Authority saw it differently. No doubt moorings on the Thames are quite expensive and it seemed the sole reason for shifting him was forcing him to re-locate to somewhere he'd have to pay.

He said he had permission to be moored to the land but that wasn't the point from what I could tell. He was still on the river that is the property of the River Authority.
    If he could find someone with an actual dock or go somewhere owned by someone (like a wharf) that is off the river itself he can go where he likes.

It does seem that with the people visited this series they are getting away with making the Sheriffs hang around for hours. I'm surprised theres no ' money within an hour or we will take everything and leave' set rule. I know they can charge for the time but that's seemingly not being mentioned this time.

People would have had to have CCJ's against them to be taken to the High Court, they often don't even bother turning up so if the Sheriffs are at your door they should be able to start taking. All involved had their chance, had the cases judged by the court and lost. Time to pay.

I'm guessing the increase in squatters is due to the increased role the Sheriffs would have enforcing it now the law has changed making it illegal to squat in a home, so they've moved to taking over businesses as well.
    Would be interesting for the building owners to seize their property to help pay for the damage, not to mention someone being arrested for illegal drug manufacture, hacking into the electricity etc ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    To a car dealer. They'll know exactly what to do to obtain both, it's just a little bit more work so they'll factor that in to what they are willing to pay for the car in the first place.

The lack of keys or a V5C won't particularly worry them.

Ok, but I wouldnt want to buy a car knowing their is a duplicate set of keys & a log book duplicate somewhere, especially if the original owner disputes ownership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »

It does seem that with the people visited this series they are getting away with making the Sheriffs hang around for hours. I'm surprised theres no ' money within an hour or we will take everything and leave' set rule. I know they can charge for the time but that's seemingly not being mentioned this time.

Yes I noticed they were hanging around a lot longer this series. They do seem a bit random in when they choose to charge for an hour's waiting time.
    There should probably be a law about it as it seems unfair that one person may be charged extra while another person may not.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Since when did naked photo become part of your wedding photos :o Do the guest get to choose those ones as a momento :o Boy has it changed since my day :D
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    OMG 4 police vans :o:o
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »

its typical

supposedly theyre a crisis in police numbers

but everytime you see these programs about 10 coppers turn up

for some minor thing
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »
    People would have had to have CCJ's against them to be taken to the High Court, they often don't even bother turning up so if the Sheriffs are at your door they should be able to start taking. All involved had their chance, had the cases judged by the court and lost. Time to pay.
    You would trust and hope that to be the case wouldn't you? But it seems communication is not one of the Courts finer points. Though undoubtedly there are some who will use ignorance as an excuse or delaying tactic, there does appear to be more than just one case where they have genuinely not received anything from the Court.

I can relate to this personally involving a matter some years ago where i was informed a warrant for my arrest had been issued for non-attendance at Court. This was the first i knew of my requirement at Court! I had to get a Solicitor on the case immediately but they insisted they had notified me and their excuse was "it must have got lost in the post!"
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Ok, but I wouldnt want to buy a car knowing their is a duplicate set of keys & a log book duplicate somewhere, especially if the original owner disputes ownership.

How hard to you think it is to get a duplicate set of keys for a car, particularly if you're "in the trade!"

Also, if I have the registration number of your car then I can write to the DVLA, sending them £25, and request a new V5C in my own name. They will then write to you, as the recorded keeper, and ask if this is OK? If you either don't reply within the two weeks they give you, or, even if you don't receive their letter, they will then send me the V5C, anyway!

How do you know there isn't a duplicate set of keys and/or a duplicate V5C around somewhere for your car? The answer is, you don't!
  • Options
    AnnaFordFanAnnaFordFan Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »

I OMGed at that as well. And all in under 5 minutes. Wish there was that sort of response round my way. I wonder whether the fact that a BBC cameraman had been reported as being assaulted had anything to do with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    How hard to you think it is to get a duplicate set of keys for a car, particularly if you're "in the trade!"

Also, if I have the registration number of your car then I can write to the DVLA, sending them £25, and request a new V5C in my own name. They will then write to you, as the recorded keeper, and ask if this is OK? If you either don't reply within the two weeks they give you, or, even if you don't receive their letter, they will then send me the V5C, anyway!

How do you know there isn't a duplicate set of keys and/or a duplicate V5C around somewhere for your car? The answer is, you don't!

I do, it was new.Seems an invitation for fraud to me if what you say is correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still more company name changes and owners putting assets into their names rather than the company's name to avoid debts.

The law needs clearing up on this. Why are the news not using these people as scapegoats for the problems of the economy? They must be tying up a lot of money doing this?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a repeat today.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Was a repeat today.

Guess series 3 has officially finished and we going back to series 2