Options

you always get people saying "i hate my job" have you ever had a job you hated?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
can be your present one or a past one and for what ever reason?

for me - there have been parts i have disliked about the jobs but in general they have been ok.

Comments

• Options
    Ivor FannyIvor Fanny Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »
    can be your present one or a past one and for what ever reason?

for me - there have been parts i have disliked about the jobs but in general they have been ok.

No, but i have heard people saying "dont some people start stupid threads" :D
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I worked in a factory when I left school and was waiting to go to university. I hated every single minute of it. It was boring, noisy,my co-workers were awful, and I was on my feet all day putting things in boxes. Never ever again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very lucky, I have loved all my jobs except one.
    Cleaning luxury flats in the docklands. I never realised how mucky intelligent educated people could be.
    I was working another job at the time, so would go to clean these bankers flats after a 12 hour shift. I did it partly to help out my daughter who had just started her first year at uni. £40 a week is a lot to a student. And partly to help out my friend who owns the cleaning company.
    I was so glad when the contract for those flats ended.

Food waste in sinks, bloody pillows, and don't get me started on limescale.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes,
    I have worked in a factory which makes donuts and muffins.
    I hated ever second I was there.
    I was put onto a production line with about 12 other blokes, and I was the only English person on the line.
    I couldn't wait to leave to go to a different job.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked on a project on eye diseases. I got photos of the inside of elderly people's eyes and had to count the spots on the pics
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've mostly liked the jobs I had, though the last one most of my colleagues seemed to be in the I hate my job camp, when it came to my turn I decided to quit, been a year out of work now but don't regret quitting, didn't want to fester for years
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate my job. You would think that people would have learned by now how to use a computer and the Internet considering how long they have been around.
  • Options
    enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivor Fanny wrote: »
    No, but i have heard people saying "dont some people start stupid threads" :D

well dont click on this thread then.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same answer as I posted in your previous thread on this exact same subject.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1958878
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always tried to find something to enjoy in every job I've done, but the absolute worst was working in a call centre. Repeating the same 4-minute scripted conversation, for 8 hours straight was hell. Toilet breaks were timed and targetted - you were told you could have no more than 10 minutes "idle time" over the course of the day, that is time you weren't actively available to take calls. On which note, you were given no autonomy whether to accept calls or not - they came through automatically whilst you were logged into the software. Calls were recorded to monitor "quality" - in reality, a checklist to make sure you followed the script word-for-word like a good little child. Didn't even get your own desk, just a tiny 30 inch space on a long row of identical 30 inch spaces, which was assigned at random each day.

It was horrible - I've done mindnumbing warehouse work, taking things out of one box and putting them into another all night long - but even that was preferable to the call centre. At least I could to the bathroom whenever I needed to without being monitored.
  • Options
    LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst job I ever had was picking the lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's bum.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly everyone says it but I really do hate my job.

I hate the early mornings, the people and the job is tedious boring. I've been there for 8 years so maybe that's the reason behind it all, I just feel unmotivated and the thought of Mondays coming round sickens me.

As much as I'd really like to look for a new job, I've become stuck in the same routine and the thought of unsettling that kind of worries me.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried shelf stacking once, I lasted 2 days before giving up and doing something else.

The job itself was fine, you pick up some tins and put them on the shelf. The part I couldn't stand was everyone was given one trolley of food to put out on the shelf and you had 3 hours to do it. If you finished early you couldn't help anyone else or leave your aisle until everyone else had finished. I finished my trolley in 10 minutes and had to wait another 2 and a half hours while the person in the next aisle stood there staring at every tin of baked beans for 5 minutes before putting it on the shelf.

You wasn't even allowed to talk to the other members of staff until the slow ones had finished their work. It wasn't worth £1.80 an hour.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lurkalot wrote: »
    Worst job I ever had was picking the lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's bum.

Unfortunately this will whoosh - you're on DS after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have. I wrote a song about it.:)
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I'm a free spirit, I naturally want to do what I want, when I want.

You can't survive comfortably without a job and that's why I work. I could never enjoy having to do compulsory, tedious tasks everyday which is basically every job out there when my imagination is going wild, listing all the better, more enjoyable or productive things I could be doing with my day. I know so many people who are in pain, dying or have grown too old to enjoy life. Every day of health, especially in summer is a gift and work (which must be done) is a massive thorn in my life.

If I had enough money, I would never work again.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I worked in a factory when I left school and was waiting to go to university. I hated every single minute of it. It was boring, noisy,my co-workers were awful, and I was on my feet all day putting things in boxes. Never ever again.

My first proper job was like that but involved drilling pieces of metal all day. I lasted 4 weeks and then got something more interesting.
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once worked for the Co-operative bank for 3 months it was absolutely horrible. I was doing 10 hour days for peanuts! Had to pressure sell loans and credit cards which I was crap at it and was sacked.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Oh yes.

The Post Office. Hateful, bullying staff.

Still embittered about it decades later.
  • Options
    jannajanna Posts: 7,323
    Forum Member
    I worked in a factory during Uni hols and for a short time after Uni . Hated it . Even though I wasn't on the floor doing the boring graft (I was clerical) . How people endured it is beyond me , but many there loved it . To be fair the community spirit was truly excellent and I never ever encountered bullying or aggro or one-upmanship . Fabulous people in a crappy environment .
    My present job is excellent . Working nights with fully permitted computer access and not much to do 80% of the time suits me fine .
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always tried to find something to enjoy in every job I've done, but the absolute worst was working in a call centre. Repeating the same 4-minute scripted conversation, for 8 hours straight was hell. Toilet breaks were timed and targetted - you were told you could have no more than 10 minutes "idle time" over the course of the day, that is time you weren't actively available to take calls. On which note, you were given no autonomy whether to accept calls or not - they came through automatically whilst you were logged into the software. Calls were recorded to monitor "quality" - in reality, a checklist to make sure you followed the script word-for-word like a good little child. Didn't even get your own desk, just a tiny 30 inch space on a long row of identical 30 inch spaces, which was assigned at random each day.

It was horrible - I've done mindnumbing warehouse work, taking things out of one box and putting them into another all night long - but even that was preferable to the call centre. At least I could to the bathroom whenever I needed to without being monitored.

Same here. I hated my time on the phones in a call centre. Hated it. Lasted 8 months. It was horrible.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Same here. I hated my time on the phones in a call centre. Hated it. Lasted 8 months. It was horrible.

You did better than me - 3 months!

Oddly, my current job's main duty is answering phones and I absolutely love it. But I get autonomy, I have to consciously answer a call and can let it go to voicemail if I need to. I actually have a handset rather than headset. I can go to the loo, make a coffee etc without being tracked. And I get to decide what to say to callers, I don't have to follow on-screen scripts. I can have meaningful conversations with clients, and I'm treated by my boss and my company as an actual grown up person, not just a warm body or a child.

I think a lot of hated jobs are hated because of poor policies, poor company culture and poor bosses. I've heard it said before that most people leave jobs because of bad bosses, not because the work itself is bad.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You did better than me - 3 months!

Oddly, my current job's main duty is answering phones and I absolutely love it. But I get autonomy, I have to consciously answer a call and can let it go to voicemail if I need to. I actually have a handset rather than headset. I can go to the loo, make a coffee etc without being tracked. And I get to decide what to say to callers, I don't have to follow on-screen scripts. I can have meaningful conversations with clients, and I'm treated by my boss and my company as an actual grown up person, not just a warm body or a child.

I think a lot of hated jobs are hated because of poor policies, poor company culture and poor bosses. I've heard it said before that most people leave jobs because of bad bosses, not because the work itself is bad.

I really needed the money :(

I managed to get a job in the same place but not actually on the phones. So much like you I can now go to the toilet without being tracked!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »

Everyone I have known that has worked a call centre has said never again. I think from the tellings I would rather eat road kill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this will whoosh - you're on DS after all.

Proper loooled