Iphone 5S data faster than iphone 5(same network)

Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,350
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So since getting my iphone 5S I've done some speed tests on my 5S and on my wife's iphone 5 and every time my 5S is always considerably faster, for example just now mine got 14mbps and the iphone 5 got 6mbps. Same room, same network, same signal strength etc.

What reason is the 5S faster? I thought the internals for the data/wifi would be the same as the 5? It's certainly a good thing but just curious.

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    So since getting my iphone 5S I've done some speed tests on my 5S and on my wife's iphone 5 and every time my 5S is always considerably faster, for example just now mine got 14mbps and the iphone 5 got 6mbps. Same room, same network, same signal strength etc.

What reason is the 5S faster? I thought the internals for the data/wifi would be the same as the 5? It's certainly a good thing but just curious.
    There is no logical reason. The iPhone 5 can do DC-HSPDA (where available) - as can the 5S - and my iPhone 5 frequently speed- tests at ~15Mbps on 3.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know and the 5 can actually do 4G but only on Three network (and I think one other too?)
    Forum Member
    Yeah I know and the 5 can actually do 4G but only on Three network (and I think one other too?)
    Yes! -- EE (who could also - but choose not to - offer 4G on their Orange or T-Mobile tariffs). Both they and 3 operate 4G on a frequency (1800MHz) which the iPhone 5 has.
  • RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    They do use the same Qualcomm radio chipset but do have different front end amplifiers/receivers for the 5s vs the 5. It may be that the performance of the new front end of the radio hardware is better in your location, which will achieve higher throughputs in the same location.

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/devices-smartphones/new-iphones-use-old-qualcomm-lte-chips/d/d-id/705773

Most people believe that all phones are the same, they are not. There are always differences in handset radio performance, even within the same handset model/range/hardware, so it may also be that the individual iPhone 5 is at the lower end of the radio performance range, and the individual iPhone 5s is at the higher end of the radio performance range, but still within the same designed range. Generally suppliers will quote typical values, plus and minus the expected variation in the performance range.
    Forum Member
    RAN Man wrote: »
    ......so it may also be that the individual iPhone 5 is at the lower end of the radio performance range, and the individual iPhone 5s is at the higher end of the radio performance range, but still within the same designed range.
    But this is the first time anyone has questioned the iPhone 5! Lots of people, on the other hand, have reported 15-20Mbps on 3G DC-HSPDA and MUCH faster on 4G!

Perhaps THIS 5s has a better aerial/RF stage than THIS 5!
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow cheers for that RAN Man, pretty much answered my question there.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Wow cheers for that RAN Man, pretty much answered my question there.

Don't forget the 5s has the newer A7 CPU which is capable of much faster throughput, than the A6 CPU - and there are lots of other factors such as how much RAM free for the speed tester app and the number of cycles of the flash storage etc etc.
  • coolmp3coolmp3 Posts: 148
    Forum Member

Might be a silly question but are you 100% sure the speed test is running on the same server? Have you tried by manually selecting a location within the speedtest app?

Have you also tried swapping sims? Does one account have a different speed allowance? Remember full monty Tmobile tariffs for example are capped around at 4mb