Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Old 19-10-2013, 10:14
yorksdave
Forum Member

It's back. The thread would have been far more relevant in the noughties, when ITV had the On Digital crisis and then a real lapse in taste on the main channel in the mid and late noughties, but ITV is fighting back. All the talk during the credit crunch of a channel closing and broadcasting hours being slashed came to nothing and ITV has managed to make a comeback with profits up and some decent rating shows.
If anything, Channel 4 is in crisis with last week's completely tasteless shows about sex and now the latest offering about a nightclub toilets.
I have to agree itv has improved a lot , still too many soaps, but some good drama offerings, back into comedy, albeit with mixed success, some decent documentaries, daytime needs to improve, but if I was giving an end of term report I would give them a solid 7 out of 10. Channel 4 has continued to decline over the past 2 years, and just seems to have lost its way, if it continues it will be passed in a few years by channel 5, daytime far too reliant on aged game shows, evenings too dependent on purile "factual" programmes, 5/10
yorksdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-10-2013, 10:24
Glenn A
Forum Member

I have to agree itv has improved a lot , still too many soaps, but some good drama offerings, back into comedy, albeit with mixed success, some decent documentaries, daytime needs to improve, but if I was giving an end of term report I would give them a solid 7 out of 10. Channel 4 has continued to decline over the past 2 years, and just seems to have lost its way, if it continues it will be passed in a few years by channel 5, daytime far too reliant on aged game shows, evenings too dependent on purile "factual" programmes, 5/10
I joined DS about 4 years ago, when ITV had been through the decade from hell and they were still showing junk like Hell's Kitchen. Now most of the celebreality has gone, their entertainment( while still sometimes dire) is far better than even two years ago, they knock out a few good dramas and some of the factual is excellent. I'd say average, but getting better, and they now have a regular set of hits. Also of the minor channels, shouldn't ITV 4 be praised for showing growing sports like cycling and tennis instead of just football.
Channel 4, meanwhile, as you say is over reliant on past it game shows, not to forget Come Dine With Me, which never seems to be off, and a soap that makes Neighbours look class. Also the Campaign for Real Sex documentaries are extremely tasteless and not rating well.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 10:31
Rijowhite
Forum Member

All channels seem to go through bad cycles these days, ITV had it's blip in the Noughties. It's Channel 4's turn now but I'm sure it'll come back...in some way.
Rijowhite is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 15:19
SamuelW
Inactive Member

Official weekly ratings share for the first two weeks of Itv Encore have been released:

Week 1 - 0.2%
Week 2 - 0.1%

Source: www.barb.co.uk

Very poor ratings for Itv Encore given all the promotion and marketing it had. The high profile Broadchurch repeats averaged only 60,000 viewers. Looks like there is no appetite for a second Itv drama channel, Itv3 is more than enough.
SamuelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 15:34
hyperstarsponge
Forum Member

All channels seem to go through bad cycles these days, ITV had it's blip in the Noughties. It's Channel 4's turn now but I'm sure it'll come back...in some way.
They don't help with not showing a afternoon film like they used to, I know there is Film4 but surly anything is better then Come Dine With Me and DOND.
hyperstarsponge is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 15:38
Adam Law
Forum Member

I fail to see the point in ITV Encore. It seems a little pointless.
Adam Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 16:21
GeorgeS
Forum Member

Sky wanted it so are paying itv to provide it as a pay channel.

As with most of business the point is to make money.

For Sky it adds to the differentiation from other platforms, for itv it is profitable from Day 1 due to the fees Sky are paying them.
GeorgeS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 16:22
leicslad46
Forum Member

I cant understand why ITVs HD Channels and ITV Encore are behind the pay wall. Surely more would watch the channels if it they were free to view
leicslad46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 16:31
GeorgeS
Forum Member

I cant understand why ITVs HD Channels and ITV Encore are behind the pay wall. Surely more would watch the channels if it they were free to view
Because Sky pay them to be exclusive to Sky.

What is so difficult to grasp about Sky paying them more in fees than the additional ad revenue minus carriage costs that can be earned from being on Freeview?
Old 03-07-2014, 17:51
Andy23
Forum Member

Oh dear, has Samuel really dug up *this* thread again, even though the points he is making aren't even relevant to this thread
Andy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 17:56
SouthCity
Forum Member

Pay TV allows them to diversify their income streams so that they are not wholly reliant on advertising and sponsorship, as they were when the economy collapsed and they had a cash shortage in 2009. If there is another advertising recession they will still have Sky's income.
SouthCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 18:10
jlp95bwfc
Forum Member

Noooooooooooooo!!! kill it now
jlp95bwfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 18:35
Glenn A
Forum Member

ITV still has some big problems- it's still doing badly at breakfast, daytime has fallen behind BBC One and really needs some changes, and many of their entertainment formats are awful- but they have recovered from the recession quite well. In drama they are making some excellent shows, they're trying comedy again, the creation of two paywall channels should make money and some of their factual content is good.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:57
mickmars
Forum Member

Where I used to see classics like Minder,the Sweeney,the Professionals,London's Burning in the 9pm slots - I know see cooking,cheap documentaries and shows that would not have been out of place in Alan Partridges (dreadful) TV programme ideas from his series.
Cooking in Prison
Inner City sumo
Monkey Tennis....anyone.
mickmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:01
SamuelW
Inactive Member

Only 4.0million for the second Emmerdale episode last night, one of its worst ever overnight ratings for a regularly scheduled episode.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:55
stv viewer
Forum Member

Only 4.0million for the second Emmerdale episode last night, one of its worst ever overnight ratings for a regularly scheduled episode.
That was probably due to an hour ep of eastenders
stv viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:02
GeorgeS
Forum Member

Corrie and Emmerdale were the number 1 and 2 programme ratings last night on tv so it doesnt screen "crisis" to me.
Old 04-07-2014, 14:21
hendero
Forum Member

That was probably due to an hour ep of eastenders
Or a sign that people were enjoying the good weather, and have lives that don't hinge on watching soaps.
hendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 18:27
Glenn A
Forum Member

Or a sign that people were enjoying the good weather, and have lives that don't hinge on watching soaps.
Maybe they're just not such a big deal now.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:44
SamuelW
Inactive Member

Industry magazine Broadcast confirms Itv has had a poor first six months of the year in the ratings, with their viewing figures down more than any other major broadcaster:

ITV suffered the biggest decline of all PSB networks in that period [January 2014 to June 2014], both in all-time (-5.1%) and peak (-4%). ITVís family was down 6.2% in alltime (-4.4% in peak), with a big drop for ITV2 (-13% in all time) and ITV3 (-11% in all-time). The 9 June arrival of pay-TV drama channel ITV Encore (25,000/0.2% after 12 consolidated days) looks well timed.

ITV
ITVís weekday 7pm-10.30pm peak fell by 2.5%. The standout slot in the schedule was 8pm, most strikingly Wednesdays, which grew by 18% thanks to Big Starís Little Star (4.1 million/18%) and You Saw Them Here First (3.7 million/16%) Ė not blockbusters but a significant improvement on 2013ís Food Glorious Food (2.4 million/10%). After a barnstorming 2013, Coronation Street was down 6% on last year.

At 9pm, ITVís share fell by 8%. Despite strong dramas The Widower (average: 7.5 million/ 26%), Prey (7.2 million/26%) and DCI Banks (7 million/24%), the Monday slot was down 7%. Blame Broadchurchís ripsnorting average of 9.4 million/31% last year.

On Friday, Piers Morganís Life Storiesí 3.5 million/13% was down 27% in share on 2013ís 4.7 million/ 18%, while comedy drama Edge Of Heavenís 2.1 million/8% was significantly behind 2013ís Ice Cream Girls (6 million/23%) and Life Of Crime (4.2 million/17%), contributing to a 27% year-on-year fall.

ITVís Saturdays were down nearly 4% in peak. The recently cancelled Splashís 4.1 million/17% was well behind 2013ís 5.8 million/24% as BBC1 moved The Voice UK into the winter. Sundays were down 7%, with the last-ever Dancing On Ice averaging 5.9 million/21%, compared with 2013ís 7 million/24%.

Meanwhile, Mr Selfridgeís 6.4 million/23% was 14% down on 2013ís 8 million/27%. ITVís 2015 winter challenge is to quickly establish big new entertainment shows, one of which might be Rising Star, to prevent BBC1 getting away.

BBC 1
BBC1ís 2.2% peaktime share growth was driven by strong weekends, with Saturday showing a 5% increase, driven largely by The Voice UKís 8.1 million/33% from January. Sundayís peak growth (6.6%) came from 8pm (Call The Midwifeís 10.5 million/34%, up more than 7% on 2013) and 9pm dramas. The Musketeers started strongly with 9.3 million/31% for 19 Januaryís opener, but fell to 5.3 million/20% for the finale on 30 March and averaged 6.3 million/23%, compared with Ripper Streetís 6.5 million/22% in 2013. The Crimson Fieldís 6.6 million/ 24% was strong, but thereíll be no second series.

BBC1ís weekday 9pm hour was up 1.7% in share. While Mondays fell 10% against ITVís strong drama slate, Tuesdays grew by 7.8%, helped by Death In Paradise (8.5 million/31%) and Happy Valley (7.2 million/28%). Thursday was up 13%, with Parking Madís 4 million/17% up on 2013ís Britainís Biggest Hoardersí 3.4 million/14%, plus four new episodes of Inspector George Gently (6.6 million/25%).

East Enders, down just 0.3% and averaging 7.7 million/33%, seems to have slowed its decline.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/a-toug...073754.article
Old 05-07-2014, 20:23
hopeandfaith06
Forum Member

Industry magazine Broadcast confirms Itv has had a poor first six months of the year in the ratings, with their viewing figures down more than any other major broadcaster:
Just because ratings/audience shares are down a little since last year, it doesn't mean there is any sort of crisis! The article even mentions things like Broadchurch last year having such a high audience increased the overall number, but look at the dramas audience numbers from this year and they are still excellent.

ITV are not struggling in any way, sorry I know thats the last thing you wanted to hear Samuel as we all know you have some weird vendetta against ITV (god knows why???)

They are having to create what is basically a second ITV2 (ITVbe) just because advertisers want to spend more money on the channel! Yep, sure, struggling are they

Face facts Samuel, there isn't any sort of crisis at ITV, so grow up and stop this pathetic little one man war against the company you have going!
hopeandfaith06 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 00:46
Darren_Hayward
Forum Member

ITV had a low rating for it's live coverage of England v Costa Rica only 5 million which understandably with it being a dead rubber and a earlier kick off time 5pm UK time which is the finish of the working day in the UK (though most don't finish until 6pm) unlike the Uruguay game (which was a 8pm kick off where the majority had finished work) meant there was a lot more listening to the match on Talksport or BBC R5L in their cars for example (given that many would not be home in time for kick off)
Darren_Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote