London buses are officially cash free today

FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
Forum Member
Stupid idea.

Okay for myself but what about the tourists? Bus fare was expensive so I'm surprised they gave it up.

Are any bus drivers happy with it?

Comments

• Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any tourist can buy a travel card or Oyster card without difficulty.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't roll out across other bus networks in the next year or so.

IMO a great idea.
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering about tourists too. It's not like you can buy tickets at bus stops like you can with the underground.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    I'm wondering about tourists too. It's not like you can buy tickets at bus stops like you can with the underground.

At some bus stops you can
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great idea. I'd roll it out nationally if it was down to me.
  • FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    In fact, why not just have a national travel card that allows you to hop on and off buses anywhere? Top up like the Oyster or online and each time you use the card it recognises the bus company used for that journey so they get the money.

I guess the argument against is the cost of setting up etc
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Linseyap wrote: »

Although you'd hope that most tourists would at least look into how to buy tickets for things before they go.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea of not taking cash was introduced to speed up the buses, from my experience, buses are slower due to passengers taking their own sweet time getting on and off buses, ringing the bell for the next stop when they don't want it, not having their Oysters or freedom passes ready when getting on the bus, and visitor's getting on buses just to ask for directions or inane questions (despite all bus stops giving very good info on where the bus is going, and most having extensive maps)
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    most people in London, myself included, are underwhelmed really - can't remember the last time I paid cash anyway....
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Heartache wrote: »
    The idea of not taking cash was introduced to speed up the buses, from my experience, buses are slower due to passengers taking their own sweet time getting on and off buses, ringing the bell for the next stop when they don't want it, not having their Oysters or freedom passes ready when getting on the bus, and visitor's getting on buses just to ask for directions or inane questions (despite all bus stops giving very good info on where the bus is going, and most having extensive maps)

I find there is more time wasted with women searching through their hand bags looking for their Oyster card than there ever was with people paying with cash.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be an issue if you don't use public transport a lot (and so don't have an automatic topped up oyster/ travelcard).

Also where I live there are no ticket machines at the bus stops, only in Central London (where I work) and a lot of those don't work. Also not everyone wants to use their credit card and not everyone has them. (also there has been issues with ppl being overcharged or charged by accident with contactless cards)

Plus you cannot top your weekly/ monthly oystercard at train stations and have to hope the machine is working if you have a top up as you go oyster (or they have a machine!)

Interestingly on one bus I was on last week the destination changed and the queue to get rebates on their oyster/ credit card was longer than any queue I've seen for someone paying cash.

The interstucture just isn't in place atm for buses to go cashless IMO. Going to be lots of more fare dodgers and ppl being stuck with no way of getting home on a night bus after a night out.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah........I've always had passes and travelcards since the 80s

and now I've just got my old persons freedom card..........which would be great if I ever went anywhere.......:p

when I used to but travel cards I just bought zone one.........so I did occasionally use cash if I went beyond zone one

instinctively I think it's a bad idea........I wonder if it'll hold the buses up even more whilst the Polish bus driver tries to explain in broken English to the Peruvian tourists who only speak Spanish that they've got to go and fill a form in and apply for a card.........:o:o
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    all oysters can be topped up on line..
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    If I were a tourist visiting a major city I would look into travel arrangements beforehand and plan accordingly - it's not that difficult.
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »
    It's going to be an issue if you don't use public transport a lot (and so don't have an automatic topped up oyster/ travelcard).

Also where I live there are no ticket machines at the bus stops, only in Central London (where I work) and a lot of those don't work. Also not everyone wants to use their credit card and not everyone has them. (also there has been issues with ppl being overcharged or charged by accident with contactless cards)

Plus you cannot top your weekly/ monthly oystercard at train stations and have to hope the machine is working if you have a top up as you go oyster (or they have a machine!)

Interestingly on one bus I was on last week the destination changed and the queue to get rebates on their oyster/ credit card was longer than any queue I've seen for someone paying cash.

The interstucture just isn't in place atm for buses to go cashless IMO. Going to be lots of more fare dodgers and ppl being stuck with no way of getting home on a night bus after a night out.

At the moment where I live

The train station is closed again, the 2 shops that do Oyster top ups are closed.

The top machines at bus stops are only in central London, not in the outskirts.

If your Oyster card is not working then you are totally buggered.
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    all oysters can be topped up on line..

Not with cash.

There are a lot of people out their with basic bank accounts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    most people in London, myself included, are underwhelmed really - can't remember the last time I paid cash anyway....

I've only paid cash for when I'm off work and haven't got my monthly travelcard (not going to pay for that when I don't need it!). As I don't drive buses to shops are the only way I can get anyway with shops.

Now will have to remember to keep my oystercard topped up all the time (which involves getting on a bus to get to the nearest shop to top it up! LMAO!) :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    At the moment where I live

The train station is closed again, the 2 shops that do Oyster top ups are closed.

The top machines at bus stops are only in central London, not in the outskirts.

If your Oyster card is not working then you are totally buggered.

Exactly! and I have to GET on a bus to GET to a shop to top up my emergency oystercard.

Also I wonder how many stranded young ppl will be left at dodgy dark bus stops because of this now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not with cash.

There are a lot of people out their with basic bank accounts.

Don't know what that's supposed to imply but most basic bank accounts have a debit card nowadays and you can certainly set up an auto top-up via direct debit.
    Exactly! and I have to GET on a bus to GET to a shop to top up my emergency oystercard.

Also I wonder how many stranded young ppl will be left at dodgy dark bus stops because of this now?

There's a "one last journey" facility on the card if you are over your limit I think
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    What about people who generally don't use public transport but need to on occasion? Are they meant to have a card topped up for something they don't use for some infrequent journeys? Crazy idea. Really hope it doesn't roll out across the rest of the country.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about older kids that use the buses ?
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find there is more time wasted with women searching through their hand bags looking for their Oyster card than there ever was with people paying with cash.

Eh? What about women searching thru their purse? Still takes just as long
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about people who generally don't use public transport but need to on occasion? Are they meant to have a card topped up for something they don't use for some infrequent journeys? Crazy idea. Really hope it doesn't roll out across the rest of the country.

Is it going to be that much of a pain to put some shrapnel in a pot at the end of each day and whenever you get to £5 quid or £10 quid, put it on an oyster card for those infrequent journeys ?

I've got an oyster card for me and my mum that we probably use twice a year and i've got money on both of those.
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Infrastructure
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll save me a fair bit of money per month - stupidly don't check Oyster balance enough so am often caught short and pay cash on buses. Use a few handy bus routes that are good for money, so the difference between cash free and Oyster fares is pretty noticeable. BUS!
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member

Yep, this is what I think. I can't recall every seeing a bus stop where you can top up your card. One night my bus didn't turn up so I got on a different one. The driver pointed out a stop to me where I could get another bus home but when I got on that one I realised I was going the wrong way! So then I had to get a third bus, all this at 1am in an area I didn't know. What if that happened when I had no money on my card? I'd be screwed.

Another thing that puzzles me about London buses, what about the "exit" door, how does the driver stop people getting on the bus there and not paying? I saw a man do this recently and it must happen a lot.