The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I see no problem in the BBC promoting EastEnders during the football. I see a problem in the BBC promoting EastEnders so hideously during the football.
    Come on now Fudd, calling it a promo is a little flattering as it suggests an attempt was at least made to sell EastEnders to the World Cup viewing audience. I have no idea what it was supposed to achieve but it definitely didn't do that. It was like an "online exclusive" clip gone badly wrong.

A proper EastEnders trailer I could partly understand especially when all of the soaps are in need of a bit more of a push than usual but call me old fashioned I would prefer them to use that time to promote other BBC Sport events, as they've mostly been doing (i.e. Wimbledon, Commonwealth Games).
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree its was completely pointless. Who on earth would say after watching that trailer: "Oh I must make sure I tune into EastEnders next time after that exciting trailer"? Nobody. It was very random.

I could say the same about the Strictly/Bake-Off/Doctor Who plugs. The BBC obviously want to promote their biggest shows.

ITV have a fairytale trailer for their soaps at present, again I don't see much point in it and like the Shakespeare one from last year, I can't see it making people want to tune in.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night's shock will not be the biggest thrashing of the World Cup. That will be on Monday morning when the BBC v ITV ratings for the final come out! :-)

Not sure the BBC did pick well in the end. Tonight's game will be closer, might go the distance and get the higher peak and average. Millions may well have switched over last night by 9.30. The game was dead as a contest long before then. A disaster for the Beeb!

Itv of course gets a bonus Brazil game exclusively live on Saturday
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously the EE summer advert is just a bit of tongue in cheek. Pure harmless fun. Nothing to take too seriously. It was always planned to air over the summer they just held of airing it until last night and why not?! the whole point of promotion is to reach as bigger audience as possible. Some are being a bit hypocritical here.....

There is certainly no need to be kill joys! lol I can't believe its angered so many people haha :blush::D did people lose their sense of humour because Germany won?!! :o:p
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Not sure why BBC One commissioned a trailer for "EastEnders" as its not relevant to the football audience. .

So the World Cup audience (an audience that surely seems to include many of the more casual football viewers) contains few who would be EE viewers?

An interesting concept if nothing else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems sensible of BBC1 to use the world cup to promote bake off and EastEnders to a large audience who never watch either

Isn't that the whole point of promotional trailers and advertising generally??
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure the BBC did pick well in the end. Tonight's game will be closer, might go the distance and get the higher peak and average. Millions may well have switched over last night by 9.30. The game was dead as a contest long before then. A disaster for the Beeb!

No chance, I'm saying, I'm sure everyone was dying to see how many more they were going to score. I know there's a chance it becomes unappealling when a team is cruising to victory without getting out of second gear, and if Germany won 3-0 or something you could say that, but putting five past Brazil at home? Could have been fifty, and people were going to stay tuned for that. It's a major, major story. Where else would they have gone anyway?
    Seems sensible of BBC1 to use the world cup to promote bake off and EastEnders to a large audience who never watch either

Yes, and of course it's not like ITV haven't done it before. I remember in 2009, the first year they had the Cup Final, it was on the same day as the BGT final and they had a bit with Amanda Holden wearing an Everton strip. And I still remember Bob Wilson in 1999 saying "After the football tonight we've got a new drama for you, and you won't want to miss it", and linking into a trailer for The Last Train. You may recall too I moaned in 2012 when they had You Cannot Be Serious after an England match and didn't have Alistair in the studio and trail it.

It's no different to Freddie Starr or Bobby Davro turning up during the Cup Final (as they did in the seventies and eighties respectively), a bit of fun for the casual audience. And it was either that or another montage. I like the idea of One BBC all together.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member

Well this is very true and as Mossy points out there will be EastEnders viewers in there. But I just don't see how the advert is promoting it, its a drama and the previous " there's a killer amongst them" was much more powerful. They perhaps could have played those.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    Interesting. Could Commonwealth Breakfast gift GMB with sport weary viewers? Might be the lifeline GMB is looking for.

Start of the school holidays so probably not heh.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think an average of 10 million for last nightt's football is possible. I'm away for 8 hours so will follow this rating when I return.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 15s
    Germany's extraordinary 7-1 victory over Brazil was watched by a huge peak audience of 13.98m/57.8% last night. @GaryLineker
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    @TVRatingsUK: Germany's extraordinary 7-1 victory over Brazil was watched by a huge peak audience of 13.98m/57.8% last night. @GaryLineker
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV Ratings UK: 13.98m (57.8%) peak!
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Samuel's gone and yet there are still those trying to keep the BBC v ITV war going.........enough already.

Football should have a very nice rating tomorrow. The BBC has picked well again.

Which might indicate that he is not 100% to blame for all the perceived ills of this forum after all.

Just to say I have never seen such an overeaction to a promo in all my life. Whether it was any good or not who cares it was a minute of time which most will have already forgotton about.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    TV Ratings UK: 13.98m (57.8%) peak!

It will be interesting to see what time the peak was.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Start of the school holidays so probably not heh.

As GMB recorded one of its lowest averages so far, 500,000 on Monday, it looks like only the Second Coming live could save it.
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 3s
    Coverage of #BRAvGER averaged 11.52m/51.0%. The match began with 11.23m, jumped to 13.13m at 9.20, then remained above 13m until full time.

Wow.

Germany v Brazil beat England v Italy's broadcast average by 0.01m :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    @TVRatingsUK: Coverage of #BRAvGER averaged 11.52m/51.0%. The match began with 11.23m, jumped to 13.13m at 9.20, then remained above 13m until full time.
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    As GMB recorded one of its lowest averages so far, 500,000 on Monday, it looks like only the Second Coming live could save it.

If it keeps dropping could Sky News Sunrise overtake?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 been really lucky with their picks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Astonishing figures!

Unbelievable Jeff!

Match average must be over 12m then pushing 13?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Once the holidays start it certainly won't be seeing 500,000 again until september if even then.
    Forum Member
    Mark Sweney ‏@marksweney 3m
    Germany vs Brazil is highest ever rating TV show in Germany (since data been collected) with avg 32.6m viewers and 87.8% share. Apparently

Wow at that German share!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Which might indicate that he is not 100% to blame for all the perceived ills of this forum after all.

Just to say I have never seen such an overeaction to a promo in all my life. Whether it was any good or not who cares it was a minute of time which most will have already forgotton about.

May I ask if the great bugbear has gone forever.

Does anyone actually watch the promo's anyway certainly not enough to get worked up about it.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much for many turning off, Robbie keeping the 'under prediction seat' warm I see, of course nobody would turn off!
    southlad wrote: »
    If it keeps dropping could Sky News Sunrise overtake?

Mathematically yes, as if something keeps dropping it would eventually get to zero
This discussion has been closed.