ZOMG! People have to switch on phones at aiports. Outrage!!!

Comments

• TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Is it though? The official advise states (my bolding):
    In line with the US advice, passengers on some routes into and out of the UK may now also be required to show that electronic devices in their hand luggage are powered up or face not being allowed to bring the device onto the aircraft.
    For obvious reason we will not be commenting in detail on the routes affected.

The Telegraph article states UK to US flights only. Predictably there's a major lack of consistency both with the reporting and more importantly, the messaging.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10952671/Airport-security-you-wont-fly-to-the-US-if-your-mobile-phone-battery-is-dead.html
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Its not just about phones tho, cameras, game's machines laptops, dvd players tablets etc
    To help keep the little ones amused and not annoying other people. Now you have to make sure they leave a charge on it.

If you're planning on using a games machine, laptop, tablet or DVD player to keep the little ones amused and stop them annoying other people it's probably smart to make sure the device's battery is charged, eh? ;-)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it's only US flights that are impacted, would someone really take an iron / hair straighteners / hair dryer / shaver, etc as hand luggage? Surely they would be in the hold luggage?

I thought you had to carry those items in your suitcases? I certainly wouldn't dream of carrying my hairdryer/straighteners in my hand luggage
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    My laptop battery has a life of about 3 minutes so there's a very high chance that my laptop's battery will be flat at any given time during a trip, even if it was charged just before I left the house.

Don't take it on flights then.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about people who are carrying an electronic device bought as a gift? As you don't want to open it - are brand new devices in their original sealed box exempt? :confused:
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    If you're planning on using a games machine, laptop, tablet or DVD player to keep the little ones amused and stop them annoying other people it's probably smart to make sure the device's battery is charged, eh? ;-)
    Indeed. Let's hope that once again with the added security that is going on, that flights are not once again delayed by hours, thus draining all the kids batteries and they end up being confiscated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding this story funny as well.... in my experience its more of a faff making people turn the devices OFF
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Telegraph article states UK to US flights only. Predictably there's a major lack of consistency both with the reporting and more importantly, the messaging.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10952671/Airport-security-you-wont-fly-to-the-US-if-your-mobile-phone-battery-is-dead.html
    News this morning said all flights.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I thought you had to carry those items in your suitcases? I certainly wouldn't dream of carrying my hairdryer/straighteners in my hand luggage
    I don't know if it's different rules for different flights, but there's no legal requirement to carry these things in your hold luggage within Europe at least. My wife travels every eight weeks or so and has got the packing down to a fine art such that she only needs hand luggage (albeit right at the maximum limit allowed) and she always takes straighteners and dryer in it.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens if you were on a journey that involved changing planes and your device ran out of power during the first flight? With BA saying they'll cancel flights do you get stuck halfway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    What happens if you were on a journey that involved changing planes and your device ran out of power during the first flight? With BA saying they'll cancel flights do you get stuck halfway?

From the link I posted:
    “If you are flying to the US as a transfer customer, especially those on long journeys, please make sure that you do not deplete power in your devices while on the first part of your journey.”
    Basically, you're stuffed if the battery's dead by the time you get to your connecting flight.
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this affect item placed in the hold as well? I.e Electronic items in the suitcases. I've also heard that anyone with an 'offending' item (even if they hand it over to be destroyed) will be subsequently barred from actually taking their flight?

Quite impractical for some frequent flyers I expect if they potentially could lose a laptop, tablet or phone for business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    What about people who are carrying an electronic device bought as a gift? As you don't want to open it - are brand new devices in their original sealed box exempt? :confused:

Again from the Telegraph link:
    It [BA] warned travellers who pass through security and then buy electrical items in the airport shops: “Please do all you can to ensure that any new electronic items you purchase at the airport have power before you reach the boarding gate.
    So even if it's a gift in a sealed box bought from within the airport, you still have to open it up and check it has battery life. If it's a gift bought prior to arriving at the airport, bung it in the hold luggage.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "flight mode" now means the opposite of what it did 1 week ago.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I leave mine on whilst travelling for location reporting mode, for Google to show Location History in Google Maps.
    But sometimes I have a battery which dies at 51% because it is faulty, this sort of thing could catch a lot of people out.

I do find it weirdly liberating that they now want to see working devices that are on, rather than banning you having them on or using them like they always seemed to do before.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »

Fantastic advice! Thank you so much for your wisdom.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not have Muslim only planes, and non Muslim planes.? It would make people feel much safer, and the plane could keep turning towards Mecca every hour or so.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Even with an SSD a full boot can take 60 seconds, especially with the sort of rubbish pre-loaded on most store bought machines, and where you find that a manufacturer will fit an SSD as a selling point, but pair it with sub par CPU and low memory.

It's also possibly going to be a problem seeing everyone start up their
    Mobile phone
    Laptop
    E-reader
    Camera
    Any other devices.

The amount of time required to power up and demonstrate everything adds up massively, so it's not just a minute, it's potentially a minute+ per device, on top of all the other checks.

I was thinking more of the person buying the SSD and then getting a computer shop to fit it for them. I also think they'll have sufficient memory in as well. They don't have to demonstrate anything, just simply boot up their device and then switch it back off again. If they have more than one device, turn them all on one after the other. I suppose it might be a bit of a faff if someone has 3+ devices on them that aren't all the same small size though.

Edit: Just thought, they could power their devices up when they were in the queue. This would save the time of having to wait for it to boot up/start up while at the desk.
  • Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the people saying this will save lives, that's bullcrap. This is just a case of the government using terrorism as an excuse to have even more control over our lives, they have to start off small to see what they can get away with, so it starts off proving that your phone or computer works but give it time and they will want to pry through your private life, look through your texts, photos etc. It's a police state in the making. The USA is already a police state but it's scary to think about it coming to England.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack-UK wrote: »
    To the people saying this will save lives, that's bullcrap. This is just a case of the government using terrorism as an excuse to have even more control over our lives, they have to start off small to see what they can get away with, so it starts off proving that your phone or computer works but give it time and they will want to pry through your private life, look through your texts, photos etc. It's a police state in the making. The USA is already a police state but it's scary to think about it coming to England.

Oh, for goodness sake! Do you visit conspiracy theory sites at all?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Jack-UK wrote: »

Erm, yeah.

Somebody at MI5 woke up on Saturday with a bad hangover and thought "Y'know, I think I'm going to piss on everybody's chips by announcing that phones must be checked at airports" and then everybody else just agreed with the idea cos they thought it'd be a laugh.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, somebody's probably found a dummy laptop battery filled with semtex in a house in Afghanistan and figured something might be afoot.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if you misplace your passport?
    What happens if you get to the airport late?
    What happens if you overfill your luggage and don't have enough money to pay for the extra luggage cost?

You're travelling by plane so you ensure you're prepared for the flight. That means you have your passport, your luggage meets the size and weight requirements, you arrive at the airport in sufficient time to check-in, you ensure you have sufficient battery life in your electronic device. It's all part of the pre-flight preparation, albeit one additional step.

Seems some people just see this as another reason to moan.

Yeah but this is completely different to forgetting something so why are you giving me your lecture when it doesnt even apply to what i wrote? I have one laptop that I sometimes take away with me but the battery has gone in it. Sometimes its not cost effective to replace the battery especially if you're planning on buying a new laptop. So under this ridiculous rule I wouldn't be allowed to fly with it.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »

Did you even stop to consider that the poster might need the laptop? What a daft thing to suggest.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Erm, yeah.

Somebody at MI5 woke up on Saturday with a bad hangover and thought "Y'know, I think I'm going to piss on everybody's chips by announcing that phones must be checked at airports" and then everybody else just agreed with the idea cos they thought it'd be a laugh.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, somebody's probably found a dummy laptop battery filled with semtex in a house in Afghanistan and figured something might be afoot.
    So now instead of a dummy laptop fitted with semtex they will just use a real laptop and pack the semtex around the existing components.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Did you even stop to consider that the poster might need the laptop? What a daft thing to suggest.

Fine! Buy a new laptop or a new battery!

FFS, there is no exemption or sympathy on the basis of having a battery that doesn't last very long. I don't know why they posted such an irrelevance anyway.