Missing TV channels - help!

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For some time now our telly has had funny pixelated screens on some channels, came on around the time of the hot weather. We often have problems with this from the Dover transmitter in hot weather, something to do with the high pressure. Some of the channels have recently had no signal.

Anyway I was trying to peruse QVC just now and it came up again with no signal.

So I did a retune of the telly and now half the freeview channels are missing, a lot of the +1 channels, Dave, the food channel, qvc is missing, loads more (most I didnt watch but nevertheless).

What do I do?

Comments

• technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should not have retuned....
    There are lots of other things that can go wrong outside your TV set /boxes.
    But you can try to manual tune to get the channels back
    Got to this page
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/manual_retuning
    and put your post code and house number in and follow instructions.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Retuning when the signal is low is a bad idea as the system cannot find the channels to store them.

I usually only retune (For new channels etc on clear days or when the signal is high)
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Sounds like your signal isn't particularly strong, OP.

Perhaps you might need a new aerial or your existing one realigned.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Sounds like your signal isn't particularly strong, OP.

Perhaps you might need a new aerial or your existing one realigned.

The signals have never been strong, that is the problem of being near the coast, our aerial is ok I think, its just the transmitter struggles in summer.

I will follow the instructions above.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    The signals have never been strong, that is the problem of being near the coast, our aerial is ok I think, its just the transmitter struggles in summer.

I will follow the instructions above.

It is likely the reception conditions at your home is the problem. There are problems being near the south coast, not least with interference from the French.

If you have an inadequate aerial system that will make things worse. Having a weak signal constantly does suggest an aerial issue. It may be too low gain for where you are. Or it may simply have moved over the years so is no longer pointing in the optimum direction.Or rain water has got in and corroded the terminals. Assuming an outdoor aerial. Loft mounting an aerial is a whole other can of worms :)

It may well be worth getting a competent local aerial firm in to have a look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It is likely the reception conditions at your home is the problem. There are problems being near the south coast, not least with interference from the French.

If you have an inadequate aerial system that will make things worse. Having a weak signal constantly does suggest an aerial issue. It may be too low gain for where you are. Or it may simply have moved over the years so is no longer pointing in the optimum direction.Or rain water has got in and corroded the terminals. Assuming an outdoor aerial. Loft mounting an aerial is a whole other can of worms :)

Its summer that it happens, Dover is well known for playing up at periods of high pressure. We had the aerial put in when we moved here 5 years ago, its on the roof.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    You could always go for Sky or Freesat from Sky which should solve the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    You could always go for Sky or Freesat from Sky which should solve the problem.

I will have to wait until the signal improves and then re tune again. I dont want a dish on the outside of the house!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I will have to wait until the signal improves and then re tune again. I dont want a dish on the outside of the house!

Whats wrong with a dish?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosie147 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with a dish?

I think they're ugly and I dont want one on the house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was only able to get all the bbc channels and nothing else at one point :confused:
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky's the best picture, the dishes are very discreet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a SKY 2tb on demand box and minidish you won't know your born

No more crappy Ariel picture....

Brilliant they are
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky's the best picture, the dishes are very discreet

If they can be seen, I dont want it on the house at all. I just cant stand them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they can be seen, I dont want it on the house at all. I just cant stand them.

It's not 1988 any more, ugly white amstrad dishes are a thing of the past....

A sky minidish is hardly ugly, it's just like an Ariel but round

Mines on the back above the conservatory, no body cares, everybody has one...

If you want a decent picture and a good choice of telly, it's one of them
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    You can even get ones that are very discreet and blend in with the building, as they have to be used on listed buildings,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    You can even get ones that are very discreet and blend in with the building, as they have to be used on listed buildings,

I think sometimes when people argue dishes are ugly they just don't want to pay to watch telly

Op season 1-6 of madmen on demand right now..

What are you waiting for ?????

TV box sets are included with your sub btw op
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think sometimes when people argue dishes are ugly they just don't want to pay to watch telly

Op season 1-6 of madmen on demand right now..

What are you waiting for ?????

TV box sets are included with your sub btw op

No, its not about not paying! We pay subscriptions to love film anyway. I know that you can also have freesat. I just dont like dishes, I think they're ugly and dont want one on the house. Sorry!!! I seem to have upset people!

Its like asking someone why they dont want a certain plant in their front garden, or a particular car, you either find something attractive or you dont.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, its not about not paying! We pay subscriptions to love film anyway. I know that you can also have freesat. I just dont like dishes, I think they're ugly and dont want one on the house. Sorry!!! I seem to have upset people!

Its like asking someone why they dont want a certain plant in their front garden, or a particular car, you either find something attractive or you dont.

I wouldn't say a sky dish is attractive, it just serves a purpose

Also sky plus is brilliant as well...

I'm just trying to solve your freeview woes...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say a sky dish is attractive, it just serves a purpose

Also sky plus is brilliant as well...

I'm just trying to solve your freeview woes...

No I know, thank you. I dont tend to have (given the choice) anything I dont find attractive in or on the house if possible, even if it has to serve a practical purpose.

I shouldnt have retuned so will wait until things seem a bit more settled and try again, or look carefully later and see if the aerial is ok
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are worried about having a dish very visibly high up on the house, bear in mind that it is not always necessary. In the right location, the dish can be right down at ground level and will work just as well.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fortunately, its only QVC.

You could get a satellite dish, and use freesat. No probs then.
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

I can't work out if BIB is possible, but its made me laugh alot:D

In all seriousness, OP, just retune again in system setup and you should get them back.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You haven't upset me, but it is a baffling logic.

How can a roof-mounted TV aerial be less ugly than a small Sky mini-dish?

The vast majority of Sky dishes are smaller and less visually obvious than most TV aerials.

As a result (and because of the way they work) you can often hide Sky minidishes in out-of-the-way places..

Eg.. http://www.yell.com/static/image/f63ce4cb-76a2-48f6-97e2-2ac4908862a5_image_jpeg?t=tr/w:550/h:412/m:FitPad

Eg.. #2 http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/images/sky_dish_tree_mounted.jpg
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on a new build estate and were not allowed sky dishes on the front of the properties. They're all at the back and a neighbour even has his at the end of a garden on a fence post. Greenery growing over it, you wouldn't know it was there.